Thread: Cured pork products page

djd68 is offline Junior Member

Cured pork products

Hi everyone,

Although I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post.

I have been doing low carb for about 4 months now and am feeling better than I have for a long time. I have been reading MDA for about 2 months now and am starting to incorporate the other aspects of PB into my life.

My question is this. I work for a Spanish food company in the UK and have access to a lot of cured pork products. These are all additive free and the majority of the meat comes from free range Iberico pigs that feed predominantly on grass and acorns.

I tend to eat a lot of this each week because a) it's cheap for me b) it's low carb and c) it tastes delicious. However I'm concerned that I'm eating too much pork and also the salt content is quite high.

The rest of my diet is made up of grass fed beef, free range eggs and chicken, bacon, fish, nuts, salad vegetables and the occassional blueberry. I also eat a small amount of organic goats cheese.

Can I enjoy my wonderful bellota ham guilt free or should I be limiting my intake.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, but I'm jealous.

Evita is offline Senior Member
    I want to guess that some people would get their panties in a bunch about the word "cured". You have some great insight to the pigs former life, diet and processing. Id say enjoy it! Moderation is key, and enjoy your H2O as well since it's high in salt.. Everyone here is nuts over bacon for the most part, and your pork product is additive free I second the jealousy claim. Keep up the good work, the rest of your diet is stellar. Viva la vida!

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know if you want to try this but I will suggest soaking a small amount of it in water to see if that reduces the salt, then cook normally and taste it. If the good taste stays then I would continue to soak the pork products befiore eating it. If the taste was dimished in any way, I would discontinue that.