Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cauliflower tortilla-like things page

mike is offline Senior Member

cauliflower tortilla-like things

Primal Fuel
    I've seen a few recipes on the intertubes for paleo tortillas made with cauliflower and eggs:

Cauliflower Wraps (SCD, GAPS, Paleo)

Cauliflower Tortillas (Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten free) | Slim Palate

Both of those recipes call for baking them. I was wondering if they can be made in a skillet instead of the oven. Has anyone tried it?

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I would love to get these to work.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I know two people who made these using the oven method. One liked them, the other one thought they were gross. I think she had "tortillas" in her head and expected too much. I am curious all over again. Especially about the stovetop method. I think I will give it a go. Here's a great way to rice cauli in a blender. Much easier cleanup. Cut up the cauli into medium chunks. Put in a blender. Add water. Pulse. It takes maybe 3 pulses in my blender but it's a commercial blender so just check the texture. Then pour the whole lot through a fine mesh strainer. Perfectly riced cauli.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I know two people who made these using the oven method. One liked them, the other one thought they were gross. I think she had "tortillas" in her head and expected too much. I am curious all over again. Especially about the stovetop method. I think I will give it a go. Here's a great way to rice cauli in a blender. Much easier cleanup. Cut up the cauli into medium chunks. Put in a blender. Add water. Pulse. It takes maybe 3 pulses in my blender but it's a commercial blender so just check the texture. Then pour the whole lot through a fine mesh strainer. Perfectly riced cauli.

Exactly. These shouldn't even be called tortillas because except for the shape they are nothing like tortillas. I will call them plats. Paleo fLAt ThingS but they are essentially vehicles for other foods that are difficult to hold in your hand. Now I just have to make them.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Exactly. These shouldn't even be called tortillas because except for the shape they are nothing like tortillas. I will call them plats. Paleo fLAt ThingS but they are essentially vehicles for other foods that are difficult to hold in your hand. Now I just have to make them.
    Lol. Love "plats". We called them discs on another forum. I am making them too. Buying this cool orange cauli because I want that color. Halibut Plats with coleslaw, avocado and salsa!!

OK, here are the results of my experiment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/320712/IMG_0234.jpg

They definitely did not come out like anything close to tortillas. In fact they were more like potato pancakes. I will call them cauliflower pancakes. They were quite good, actually, but too fragile to use as a substitute for real tortillas. I will make them again, but with the goal of making cauliflower pancakes and not some tortilla substitute. For tortillas, I plan to do 2 things: 1) wait until November, when I can go to Javier's in Arlington Heights, IL and order their tongue tacos, and 2) wait until Jan when I go to San diego and have fish tacos in the historic quarter.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    The quest for paleo tortillas continues.... For now, I will just have real corn tortillas from time to time.

Mike I forgot to come back and report. I agree. I used them more as a plate. Are you speaking of Old Town Mexican Cafe? I'm from SD. I am also a fan of Rubios. I like going to the one on Garnet (maybe it's Grand) and grabbing a couple of fish tacos especial and heading to the bench next to the Chrystal Pier and watching the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Mike I forgot to come back and report. I agree. I used them more as a plate. Are you speaking of Old Town Mexican Cafe? I'm from SD. I am also a fan of Rubios. I like going to the one on Garnet (maybe it's Grand) and grabbing a couple of fish tacos especial and heading to the bench next to the Chrystal Pier and watching the sunset.

Hi Ocean - I don't really remember where - I used to go to SD for a conference every year and I'd connect with some other conference goers and go out for fish tacos. 'Old Town' sounds familiar now but I really don't know what restaurant we went to. I remember that when we entered there was an old lady near the door making tortillas by hand. All for show but I like to think the tortillas I ate were made by that little old mexican lady.
    I guess fish tacos aren't paleo but man they sure are good!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mike that is definitely Old Town Mexican Cafe. I've been going there since I was a kid. All the tortillas used to be handmade but not sure about now. When I am not doing a strict 30 day paleo challenge, I have the occasional taco. Especially if I'm in San Diego.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast