Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice

Hybrid View

Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice

I have read allot of primal articles that say it would be ridiculous to consider primal man ate allot of carbs. But it seems to me that primal man would have eaten mostly fruit (also some nuts/seeds, leafy greens, and yes meat,fish). I was hoping someone could show me the flaw in my following logic: Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance. It's nicely packaged, satisfies his taste buds, doesn't need to be cooked, prepared or seasoned. Then he'd take a crap and disperse the seeds and more fruit trees would grow. It seems to me like fruit is the only thing that wants to be eaten and we have a symbiotic relationship with it. I know primal man also ate meat, but could this not be considered human error? Like moving to cold climates? Money? War? Slavery? My point is, us humans have not always gotten it right (but in some instances there have been a few who have realized the error and fought to make great change). Maybe we're supposed to use our unique higher consciousness as humans to evolve and see that we do not need to kill animals and burden our planet in order to be healthy. If one eats adequate calories in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds there is no need to eat meat. We do not need all that protein. I use to stand behind the logic that there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, but no essential carbs. But this is because the human body is so resilient that it will make glucose from protein if you don't give it enough sugar. Why not just give it (natural) sugar? It will produce ketones to fuel the brain if you follow a very high fat/super low carb diet in order to not die. Why not just give it the natural sugar it needs to function? Fruit seems to be the perfect human food and a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive, so why not let the animals live their lives?
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Maybe, if our ancestors lived in an apple orchard. But they didn't, as far as I know. Is there any modern day ecosystem that would produce enough fruit to support a small community, or even a family of foragers? What about the physiological effects of a high fructose diet?
    Can't wait to see the replies to this one...

Maybe you're right with the fructose, haven't tried it longer then 3 days, but I doubt it. I follow a low-fat vegan diet. I think you have to either pick high carb or high fat to have any type of results. The two don't mix. I just think a high carb diet is the natural way.

No, fruit is not available in abundance sorry. Move out of the city and try living in a village and you'll see why we eat meat, and why we need to eat meat and tubers. A fruit only diet could only be championed by arrogant westerners who only need to go into a shop to buy it. Go out into the real world and see how well you fare on a fruit only diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    No, fruit is not available in abundance sorry. Move out of the city and try living in a village and you'll see why we eat meat, and why we need to eat meat and tubers. A fruit only diet could only be championed by arrogant westerners who only need to go into a shop to buy it. Go out into the real world and see how well you fare on a fruit only diet.
    I'm saying that in primitive times man would have been surrounded by fruit....not now. Why wouldn't we have? We would have lived in climates that were conducive for it and fruit would have been the easiest and most delightful thing for us to eat.
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-08-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    I'm saying that in primitive times man would have been surrounded by fruit....not now. Why wouldn't we have? We would have lived in climates that were conducive for it and fruit would have been the easiest and most delightful thing for us to eat.
    No, we're more surrounded by fruit now because we cultivate. But still, with all the extra fruit, if you wanted to live as a fruitatarian in the village, you'd die of starvation before reaching adulthood. I spent enough time in my families villages (in tropical climate south pacific) to know this.

Again, I suggest you go out in the world see how disconnected most westerners are to tribal/primal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    No, we're more surrounded by fruit now because we cultivate. But still, with all the extra fruit, if you wanted to live as a fruitatarian in the village, you'd die of starvation before reaching adulthood. I spent enough time in my families villages (in tropical climate south pacific) to know this.

Again, I suggest you go out in the world see how disconnected most westerners are to tribal/primal life.
    This is what I'm looking for. The higher consciousness "crap" comes with me trying to figure out if humans were meant to eat animals or if we just got it wrong. I'm trying to figure out why there wouldn't be enough fruit to feed us all in primitive times.

Sorry dude, I meant 'crap' as in it's a crap thing to use for justification, not that consciousness itself is crap

I understand what you're saying.. You're asking a bigger question about life and the universe, and how eating animals fits into it. Well there is very little truth that's universal, we each must find our own. The only way to find your own is to look within. And if that means for you that you feel more connected to all-that-is by not eating animals, then that's the right path for you. But being connected to all-that-is also means allowing others to follow their own path and not judge or condemn.

You be as you be, and let others be as they be

This is what I'm looking for. The higher consciousness "crap" comes with me trying to figure out if humans were meant to eat animals or if we just got it wrong.
    Or maybe YOU got it wrong? There is no pre-designed plan for what humans are supposed or meant to eat! Humans became humans mainly by eating cooked meat and getting more easy assimilated animal protein in their diets! Bigger brains and smaller intestines is a result of this evolution compared to other primates...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

I'm not an anthropologist but I don't think this is the case. Maybe this 'Garden of Eden hypothesis' is the view in the vegan community? Was there anywhere in Africa, the Middle East, Europe or Asia where fruits grow (or grew) in sufficient abundance to support small communities of humans? I do agree though that our ancestors probably ate all of the fruit that they could find.