Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice page

PrimalFish is offline Junior Member

Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice

Primal Fuel
    I have read allot of primal articles that say it would be ridiculous to consider primal man ate allot of carbs. But it seems to me that primal man would have eaten mostly fruit (also some nuts/seeds, leafy greens, and yes meat,fish). I was hoping someone could show me the flaw in my following logic: Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance. It's nicely packaged, satisfies his taste buds, doesn't need to be cooked, prepared or seasoned. Then he'd take a crap and disperse the seeds and more fruit trees would grow. It seems to me like fruit is the only thing that wants to be eaten and we have a symbiotic relationship with it. I know primal man also ate meat, but could this not be considered human error? Like moving to cold climates? Money? War? Slavery? My point is, us humans have not always gotten it right (but in some instances there have been a few who have realized the error and fought to make great change). Maybe we're supposed to use our unique higher consciousness as humans to evolve and see that we do not need to kill animals and burden our planet in order to be healthy. If one eats adequate calories in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds there is no need to eat meat. We do not need all that protein. I use to stand behind the logic that there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, but no essential carbs. But this is because the human body is so resilient that it will make glucose from protein if you don't give it enough sugar. Why not just give it (natural) sugar? It will produce ketones to fuel the brain if you follow a very high fat/super low carb diet in order to not die. Why not just give it the natural sugar it needs to function? Fruit seems to be the perfect human food and a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive, so why not let the animals live their lives?
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-08-2013 at 10:34 PM.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Maybe, if our ancestors lived in an apple orchard. But they didn't, as far as I know. Is there any modern day ecosystem that would produce enough fruit to support a small community, or even a family of foragers? What about the physiological effects of a high fructose diet?
    Can't wait to see the replies to this one...

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    No, fruit is not available in abundance sorry. Move out of the city and try living in a village and you'll see why we eat meat, and why we need to eat meat and tubers. A fruit only diet could only be championed by arrogant westerners who only need to go into a shop to buy it. Go out into the real world and see how well you fare on a fruit only diet.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a recipe for producing small-brained primates. If you want a human sized brain, you want seafood and meat
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Liam is offline Member
    " a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive". No it can't

e.g. 5 Brain Nutrients Found Only in Meat, Fish and Eggs (NOT Plants)

I have not tried an all fruit (and vegetable) diet longer then three days, but recently switched from a primal diet (which I was following 2.5 years) to a low-fat vegan diet (been following for 6 months). The initial reason for the change was that I felt I was too reliant on coffee (not primal?), and I had the desire to not eat animals if it was possible to do so and still be healthy. Anyways I've never felt better in my life. My energy is through the roof and I can actually train again for performance without having to worry about training to long. If I train less, I eat less. I am leaner and more vascular. lWhen I was following primal I looked very soft.

Maybe you're right with the fructose, haven't tried it longer then 3 days, but I doubt it. I follow a low-fat vegan diet. I think you have to either pick high carb or high fat to have any type of results. The two don't mix. I just think a high carb diet is the natural way.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    " a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive". No it can't

e.g. 5 Brain Nutrients Found Only in Meat, Fish and Eggs (NOT Plants)
    Yes it can.
    1-B-12. I only take this one supplement because I'm not eating that good organic dirt.
    2-Creatine. I don't need any more creatine then I'm getting.
    3- Vit D. Not a problem if you're living where humans are supposed to live.
    4 Carnosine. Carnosine is not considered an essential nutrient, or one that we must consume. The body manufactures all the carnosine it needs from other common dietary proteins, and for this reason there is no daily requirement of this substance.
    5.) DHA. I'm doing fine with ALA.
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-08-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    No, fruit is not available in abundance sorry. Move out of the city and try living in a village and you'll see why we eat meat, and why we need to eat meat and tubers. A fruit only diet could only be championed by arrogant westerners who only need to go into a shop to buy it. Go out into the real world and see how well you fare on a fruit only diet.
    I'm saying that in primitive times man would have been surrounded by fruit....not now. Why wouldn't we have? We would have lived in climates that were conducive for it and fruit would have been the easiest and most delightful thing for us to eat.
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-08-2013 at 11:39 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Sounds like a recipe for producing small-brained primates. If you want a human sized brain, you want seafood and meat
    This is not true. Of course there are people smarter then you that follow a vegan diet. Also, there are smart people (with human sized brains) that follow both diets.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast