Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice page 8

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I recommend the OP google the kinds of teeth that hooved animals have and then compare them with the teeth of omnivores and obligate carnivores. Compare them with human teeth.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBall View Post
    Why wouldn't primal man think about the moral aspects of eating meat? Being human primal man would have had the full mental, ethical, and moral capacity as modern man. Surely hunting, killing, and butchering rituals of our modern hunter-gatherer brothers express thought about the moral aspects of eating meat.
    Having the capacity to believe in the same morals as the modern man is different than having the same morals as the modern man.

Morals are relative, and each society has its own concepts of right and wrong.

mike is offline Senior Member
    This thread is so entertaining I can't keep my eyes off it! Lets keep it going. The last time I watched documentaries of equatorial tribes I remember them hunting monkeys... Why would they hunt monkeys if they were surrounded by all that wonderful fruit?

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    This thread is so entertaining I can't keep my eyes off it! Lets keep it going. The last time I watched documentaries of equatorial tribes I remember them hunting monkeys... Why would they hunt monkeys if they were surrounded by all that wonderful fruit?
    Makes for better sport.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NickBall View Post
    Why wouldn't primal man think about the moral aspects of eating meat? Being human primal man would have had the full mental, ethical, and moral capacity as modern man. Surely hunting, killing, and butchering rituals of our modern hunter-gatherer brothers express thought about the moral aspects of eating meat.
    Hmm... Should I kill this furry bunny of should I let my family starve.., yes it's a moral dilemma

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    No error here, I am living at 0-0-2 degree south, pretty close to the equator line and in Ecuador, and even if we have plenty of fruit and vegetables, there are almost no vegetarians here! At least I don't know any vegetarians... Humans thrives as omnivores, with plenty of animal protein in their diet..
    Oh shit. I actually agree with Gorbag. World coming to an e

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegas76 View Post
    Why do they all have hard boiled eggs on their lapel?
    I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out; I think it's a subliminal message.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    I have read allot of primal articles that say it would be ridiculous to consider primal man ate allot of carbs. But it seems to me that primal man would have eaten mostly fruit (also some nuts/seeds, leafy greens, and yes meat,fish). I was hoping someone could show me the flaw in my following logic: Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance. It's nicely packaged, satisfies his taste buds, doesn't need to be cooked, prepared or seasoned. Then he'd take a crap and disperse the seeds and more fruit trees would grow. It seems to me like fruit is the only thing that wants to be eaten and we have a symbiotic relationship with it.
    This is exactly right if we go far enough back in our evolutionary history. Far enough back that we're not actually 'human', that is.

I know primal man also ate meat, but could this not be considered human error?
    Nope. Look at apes like chimpanzees. Is it human error that they go bonkers for a bit of meat to eat?

Like moving to cold climates? Money? War? Slavery? My point is, us humans have not always gotten it right (but in some instances there have been a few who have realized the error and fought to make great change).
    You seem to assume that eating meat is wrong. Why do you think that?

p.s. Money is just a means to exchange goods and services. It's not inherently morally wrong either.
    Maybe we're supposed to use our unique higher consciousness as humans to evolve and see that we do not need to kill animals and burden our planet in order to be healthy.
    You use the word 'evolve', but I am not certain what you mean by that. The reason we have evolved the big brain we have is precisely because we made the switch from fruit to meat. More nutitious energy dense food, that requires a relatively smaller digestive tract, thus letting a bigger and more biologically costly brain be possible.

If one eats adequate calories in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds there is no need to eat meat. We do not need all that protein. I use to stand behind the logic that there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, but no essential carbs.
    Correct.
    But this is because the human body is so resilient that it will make glucose from protein if you don't give it enough sugar. Why not just give it (natural) sugar?
    I agree.
    It will produce ketones to fuel the brain if you follow a very high fat/super low carb diet in order to not die. Why not just give it the natural sugar it needs to function? Fruit seems to be the perfect human food and a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive, so why not let the animals live their lives?
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs. But there's also nothing wrong with eating high quality protein sources. We can do both. You seem to be arguing that it's an either/or scenario.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

NickBall is offline Member
    I never said that the morals and ethics of primal man and modern man are the same. I simply questioned the assumption that primal humans wouldn't give a second thought to eating and killing animals. The fact that reverence for and rituals surrounding the killing and eating of animals present in contemporary hunter-gatherers exist tells me primal man would have also thought moralistically about eating meat. When you know how to live in the environment (i.e. when and where to get food sustainably) every meal isn't boiled down to if I don't eat this now I or my family will die. There is time to think about what you are doing.
    Primal Since September 2010
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb
    Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

NickBall is offline Member
    When you know how to live in the environment (i.e. when and where to get food sustainably) every meal isn't boiled down to if I don't eat this now I or my family will die. There is time to think about what you are doing. I don't have the book with me (Native American Wisdom) so I can't identify which Native American tribe kept the practice of leaving the bottom third of fruit bearing plants for the smaller animals, the top third for the flying animals and the middle third for the humans and other long-legged animals. Tradition, rituals, and myths of the tribe were the solution for the moral dilemma of "should I eat all the berries or would I, the local environment, and the world at large be better served if I left some berries on the bush?"
    Primal Since September 2010
    Beginning Weight = 250lb
    Current Weight = 197lb
    Goal Weight = Whatever weight I am when I can do 30 pull ups without taking a break...

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast