Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice page 2

F.Fellini is offline Member
    Who cares what "primal man" would have done? Eat lots of both.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Holy balls, is this really happening? Or am I hallucinating from too little sleep?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Cool, glad you found a way of eating that makes you feel awesome, more power to you. It's what we're all reaching for. Just don't condemn others to justify your way of eating. You're eating the way you eat because it makes you feel good! End of story. No other justification needed. Leave the crap about higher/lower levels of consciousness out of it. No one is a better or worse person because of the way they eat!!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    I have read allot of primal articles that say it would be ridiculous to consider primal man ate allot of carbs. But it seems to me that primal man would have eaten mostly fruit (also some nuts/seeds, leafy greens, and yes meat,fish). I was hoping someone could show me the flaw in my following logic: Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance. It's nicely packaged, satisfies his taste buds, doesn't need to be cooked, prepared or seasoned. Then he'd take a crap and disperse the seeds and more fruit trees would grow. It seems to me like fruit is the only thing that wants to be eaten and we have a symbiotic relationship with it. I know primal man also ate meat, but could this not be considered human error? Like moving to cold climates? Money? War? Slavery? My point is, us humans have not always gotten it right (but in some instances there have been a few who have realized the error and fought to make great change). Maybe we're supposed to use our unique higher consciousness as humans to evolve and see that we do not need to kill animals and burden our planet in order to be healthy. If one eats adequate calories in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds there is no need to eat meat. We do not need all that protein. I use to stand behind the logic that there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, but no essential carbs. But this is because the human body is so resilient that it will make glucose from protein if you don't give it enough sugar. Why not just give it (natural) sugar? It will produce ketones to fuel the brain if you follow a very high fat/super low carb diet in order to not die. Why not just give it the natural sugar it needs to function? Fruit seems to be the perfect human food and a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive, so why not let the animals live their lives?
    Is there a direct correlation between the amount of meat eaten and the number of paragraphs used?...
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    This is not true. Of course there are people smarter then you that follow a vegan diet. Also, there are smart people (with human sized brains) that follow both diets.
    Erm, do you think he was meaning in an evolutionary and not you as an individual human? Just a thought ;-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    I'm saying that in primitive times man would have been surrounded by fruit....not now. Why wouldn't we have? We would have lived in climates that were conducive for it and fruit would have been the easiest and most delightful thing for us to eat.
    No, we're more surrounded by fruit now because we cultivate. But still, with all the extra fruit, if you wanted to live as a fruitatarian in the village, you'd die of starvation before reaching adulthood. I spent enough time in my families villages (in tropical climate south pacific) to know this.

Again, I suggest you go out in the world see how disconnected most westerners are to tribal/primal life.

PrimalFish is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    No, we're more surrounded by fruit now because we cultivate. But still, with all the extra fruit, if you wanted to live as a fruitatarian in the village, you'd die of starvation before reaching adulthood. I spent enough time in my families villages (in tropical climate south pacific) to know this.

Again, I suggest you go out in the world see how disconnected most westerners are to tribal/primal life.
    This is what I'm looking for. The higher consciousness "crap" comes with me trying to figure out if humans were meant to eat animals or if we just got it wrong. I'm trying to figure out why there wouldn't be enough fruit to feed us all in primitive times.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    : Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance. It's nicely packaged, satisfies his taste buds, doesn't need to be cooked, prepared or seasoned.
    Fruit is not necessarily widely available, it is seasonal and can take some effort to get to or process. For instant climbing trees or removing hard skin. Additionally fruits have a very low calorie density meaning you need to gather a lot of them in order to meet your calorie expenditure, which would take up many hours during the day. Some wild fruits are also far smaller and less calorie dense than the fruits of agriculture (strawberries, apples etc). The idea that homo sopiens at large had a mostly fruit diet is nonsense.

I know primal man also ate meat, but could this not be considered human error? Like moving to cold climates? Money? War? Slavery? My point is, us humans have not always gotten it right (but in some instances there have been a few who have realized the error and fought to make great change).
    Moving to cold climates wasn't an error, no idea how you made that conclusion. War is natural when a species as diverse and as smart as man has differing ideologies. It isn't good, but its inevitable. There is nothing wrong with money either, it is simply a tool.

Maybe we're supposed to use our unique higher consciousness as humans to evolve and see that we do not need to kill animals and burden our planet in order to be healthy. If one eats adequate calories in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds there is no need to eat meat. We do not need all that protein. I use to stand behind the logic that there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids, but no essential carbs. But this is because the human body is so resilient that it will make glucose from protein if you don't give it enough sugar. Why not just give it (natural) sugar? It will produce ketones to fuel the brain if you follow a very high fat/super low carb diet in order to not die. Why not just give it the natural sugar it needs to function? Fruit seems to be the perfect human food and a plant based diet can provide us with all the essential nutrients we need to thrive, so why not let the animals live their lives?
    Oh god, so much baloney in this last paragraph. Problems with an all fruit diet and what you said:
    -Lack of essential fatty acids
    -Lack of vitamins and minerals such as B12 and K2
    -Low calorie density
    -Fruits such as strawberries are extremely agriculturally intense to grow
    -Some land is not suitable for crop growth, so in fact having animals graze there is optimal
    -High sugar consumption may lead to health problems
    -Low protein which is unoptimal for athletes or people who want to keep fit

PrimalFish is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Fruit is not necessarily widely available, it is seasonal and can take some effort to get to or process. For instant climbing trees or removing hard skin. Additionally fruits have a very low calorie density meaning you need to gather a lot of them in order to meet your calorie expenditure, which would take up many hours during the day. Some wild fruits are also far smaller and less calorie dense than the fruits of agriculture (strawberries, apples etc). The idea that homo sopiens at large had a mostly fruit diet is nonsense.

I guess what I want someone to tell me is why there wouldn't have been ample wild fruit in primitive times?

Oh god, so much baloney in this last paragraph. Problems with an all fruit diet and what you said:
    -Lack of essential fatty acids....a little Avocado?
    -Lack of vitamins and minerals such as B12 and K2...I take the B12 but have read we would have gotten it from dirt.
    -Low calorie density...You'd need to eat allot.
    -Fruits such as strawberries are extremely agriculturally intense to grow...Ok so not many strawberries then.
    -Some land is not suitable for crop growth, so in fact having animals graze there is optimal...unsuitable land would not be used for crop growth. Suitable land would be used
    -High sugar consumption may lead to health problems. It may not lead to health problems.
    -Low protein which is unoptimal for athletes or people who want to keep fit...Maybe your right, I eat beans and grains, but primal man wouldn't have cared about body image and muscles.
    Last edited by PrimalFish; 07-09-2013 at 12:12 AM.

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Fruit is seasonal.... it grows well in spring and summer. What fruits and veggies grow well in winter in NY?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast