Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice page 18

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    What time of year do things like grapefruit and lemons grow whet you live then? Mine are full of fruit and it's mid winter here (not cold enough to snow, but often in the low single digits Celsius, with fruits a few times in the pay couple of months).

I think the picture of all fruit being a summer bounty only is wrong.
    The ground is frozen for 3 months out of the year where I live. Lemons and grapefruits cannot survive, and nothing grows except under glass. I'm glad we have shipping or we'd be back to eating withered carrots and potatoes and dried beans during the winter.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The ground is frozen for 3 months out of the year where I live. Lemons and grapefruits cannot survive, and nothing grows except under glass. I'm glad we have shipping or we'd be back to eating withered carrots and potatoes and dried beans during the winter.
    Yeah obviously, that was kinda my point.
    "Winter" means many things depending on location. To make a blanket statement that fruit isn't available in winter, especially in reference to the kinds of loadings where HGs live/lived is pointless.

Of course, this isn't too day that I agree with anything that the OP has stated either. I lean more to the thinking that roots, tubors, animals of all kinds, some fruit & nuts would be a more typical diet in the type of climate that early man would've existed in before spreading or around the globe.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    People didn't work full time, so the work was to climb those trees and throw sticks and stones up and get that fruit. And hunt... what wrong with a varied diet?
    Last edited by ToldUzo; 07-12-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Wait! Are we already finished talking about the Alien theory?
    I want to believe...
    CropCircle4.gif
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    If it's not already been pointed out, the fantasy that the OP believes in of humans wandering around in a sort of garden of eden picking fruit so they don't have to kill any of those poor little animals would be associated with a time when our hominid ancestors would have had brains the size of chimps, who BTW are observed to hunt, kill and eat monkeys on occasion. It is believed that our brains grew when we started eating more meat. By the time we were something you could call human, we had LONG been out of that environment where sustaining ourselves on a mostly fruit diet would have even been possible. So the picture the OP paints of homo sapiens living off of fruit is pure fantasy.

I've had 2 friends that attempted to "live off the land" and I think if anyone tries to do this, even for a little while, it could be instructive. Both were vegetarians when they started their quests. The first went to tracking school before setting out and when freezing his butt off one day the instructor said to note who was cold and who seemed to be doing OK. He quickly worked out that it was the vegetarians in the group that were freezing. He ended up living in the New Jersey wilderness (sounds weird to say that, but it's there!) for a little over a year. He learned to make small traps and lived off of squirrels, rabbits and whatever edible plant material he could find. The other friend refused to give up the vegan belief system and lasted 2 weeks before he had to give up because he was starving.

There's a reason no one has ever found a native culture that has survived on a vegan diet. You simply can't live off the land that way and survive. Our species has evolved eating meat for so long that our digestive system isn't equipped to be able to derive enough sustenance from whatever plant matter you can gather up. There are some fairly modern cultures that are vegetarian, but eat milk, eggs, etc. but the whole "vegan" thing is really a completely modern thing. The amount of supplementation with things like plant derived protein powders, B12 supplementation, a dizzying amount of food combining to get complete proteins, flying fruit in year round from all parts of the globe, etc. etc. make this sort of diet only even remotely survivable in our modern world.

But I'd invite the OP to not take the second hand stories of some guy on the internet with anything other than a grain of salt. Rather if you have the time, inclination and most importantly actually BELIEVE in your Vegan ideals enough then go try living off the land without eating any animals. Try it for a few weeks, blog about it, take some pictures before and after, whatever. If you can actually do it I'll tip my hat to you and say "well, looks like I was wrong".
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    It is believed that our brains grew when we started eating more meat.
    I like the irony that eating meat is what caused our brains to evolve to a point where we became intelligent enough to question whether or not we should eat meat.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    I like the irony that eating meat is what caused our brains to evolve to a point where we became intelligent enough to question whether or not we should eat meat.
    Ha ha. So true. Also, people who don't eat meat are the equivalent of squirrels who tear up their faces trying to chew through the bars of a cage.

allows is offline Junior Member
    to the guy who started this thread :

Im sorry to say that but stop dreaming men , we are not gentle little creatures gathering fruits and exploring nature , we are humans our brain has evolved at the expense of our digestive system , why?
    because we were not only eating fruits like in your sweet dream but hunting big animals .
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want to share experiences with me , I'm always open.

oh and... don't be rude with me if I make mistakes in english because I still have to do a lot of progress.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    people who don't eat meat are the equivalent of squirrels who tear up their faces trying to chew through the bars of a cage.
    Classic. That should be on the MDA forum hall of fame.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    HA! It's really sad.

Poster Kestrel also brought up a good point above. We would never have survived ice age Europe eating vegetables because 1) there were not enough of them, and 2) you need body mass to insulate yourself from the cold (see Neanderthals in particular). That was accomplished by meat.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast