Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 183

Thread: Are we really supposed to eat animals? Fruit seems a more natural choice page 17

  1. #161
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,375
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Besides, life goes on, except for those who died from malnutrition, celiac, and other such conditions.
    What's your point?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  2. #162
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    But it seems to me that primal man would have eaten mostly fruit (also some nuts/seeds, leafy greens, and yes meat,fish). I was hoping someone could show me the flaw in my following logic: Primal man would be in some warm place (where humans are meant to be) where there are lots of fruit trees and he'd eat lots of fruit because it is easy to get to and available in abundance.
    If you take time to study the archaeological evidence, everything says meat.

    You can break the evidence down into 1) physical adaptations, 2) archaeological finds, 3) direct evidence via bone analysis. Again, they all point to meat.

    The beginnings were about 2M years ago when the forests dried up and homo habilis was no longer able to chow down on fruit all day, he had to switch to meat scavenging.

    And it progressed from there...

  3. #163
    dilberryhoundog's Avatar
    dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    Where did man originate? Where did Grok live? I figured man originated in the tropics (or at least not some cold place) and where fruit could grow all year round. As man grew in numbers and spread the seeds of fruit around, the fruit grew even more and was ample. Somehow we moved away from the equator. How did that happen? When did that happen?
    I think the best we could have hoped for in the jungles of the equator is; sit around under the towering fruit trees and wait for primates and birds to drop fruit scraps. Unless we ate the birds and primates.

    I grew up with my father running a fruit tree orchard, here is a bit of anecdotal observations, from that time.

    •Modern day fruit trees are extremely small. Top fruit can be reached with a step ladder. Jungle fruit trees would be hundreds of feet high as they are competing for sunlight like the rest of the trees. Climbing these monsters would've been more dangerous than hunting jungle leopard.

    •birds are a pain in the ass in fruit orchards. They have this ability to eat fruit that is not yet palatable to us (ie green). Pick it early enough and it won't ripen off the tree, leave it on and the birds will eat it before it ever becomes palatable to us. I guess every animal carved out their evolutionary niche and for birds it's fruit.

    The reason we left the stinking hot, soaked to the bone, cramped, no sunlight, mosquito ridden, canopy driven ecosystem is quite obvious. Who wants to sit around waiting all day for some canopy dwellers to drop some fruit so you can survive. The temperate grasslands would've been much more inviting.


    Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

  4. #164
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,538
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    If you take time to study the archaeological evidence, everything says meat.

    You can break the evidence down into 1) physical adaptations, 2) archaeological finds, 3) direct evidence via bone analysis. Again, they all point to meat.

    The beginnings were about 2M years ago when the forests dried up and homo habilis was no longer able to chow down on fruit all day, he had to switch to meat scavenging.

    And it progressed from there...
    This was in the Weekend Link Love last Saturday:
    Dr. Loren Cordain makes a strong rebuttal to the media’s misguided, preliminary contention that a diet of grass seeds characterized the early human diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  5. #165
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,538
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    •Modern day fruit trees are extremely small. Top fruit can be reached with a step ladder.
    Tell me about it. My house was built long ago on an old avocado orchard. Even in the 10 years I have lived here, the 60-year-old avocado trees have continued to grow. Some are so tall now that we can no longer reach the fruit. We often "harvest" it by waiting for it to fall or be picked by raccoons and possums. The others we have this very long telescoping apple picker thing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

  6. #166
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Tell me about it. My house was built long ago on an old avocado orchard. Even in the 10 years I have lived here, the 60-year-old avocado trees have continued to grow. Some are so tall now that we can no longer reach the fruit. We often "harvest" it by waiting for it to fall or be picked by raccoons and possums. The others we have this very long telescoping apple picker thing.
    I'm a little loopy because I've been awake since 2am, but I'm imagining you and your SO running around the property holding baskets and yelling, "I think this one's about ready to drop!"

    I'm so envious of you for having free and plentiful avocados. It's like some magical delicious fruit that comes with its own fat.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

  7. #167
    PHaselow's Avatar
    PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    725
    Humans ate what they could find, probably. If you really want to mimic your Primal ancestors, eat local and seasonal. Even then, with modern farming, it won't be precise but close enough. I don't know if it is worth the trouble, though. I like food too much.

    No strawberries from Chile in December. Fruit did not grow in the winter months until we made it so (at least in my part of the world).

    I don't eat meat every day. I bet my ancestors did not, either. Maybe I should go days without eating like they probably did? It can get a little overwhelming to think about being just like them. The idea of eating simply and cleanly is what I take away from the thought of Primal Living.

    I say eat how it works best for your body and find activities to keep you moving.

    Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


    "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

  8. #168
    MouthDR's Avatar
    MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalFish View Post
    I think physical strength comes from training and eating enough. You can get enough protein from vegan sources. Look at this guy: Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness
    Not that alone. That guy you linked to, IMO, is or has almost certainly been on anabolic steroids. I can't say for sure, obviously, but I would put his physique on chemical enhancement before I would ever put it to a vegan diet.

    BTW, eating a lot of calories on a whole food vegan diet is very difficult. It's the reason most true, whole food vegans are skinny as f***.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Looking at it through the context of evolution, fruit was probably the only thing on Earth that tasted good. Meat is absolutely delicious...because we can rub it with salt and pepper, sear it in butter and rub it down in some garlic or chili powder or something. Meat with absolutely no seasoning at all is pretty darn boring. It at least needs some salt. Since ancient man didn't have access to any of these things, fruit was probably preferred. At least I'd rather eat mangoes than raw or steamed squirrel.
    LOL I understand the analogy. But I would never pass up a nice fatty liver, or better still, gnawing away on a set of wild boar ribs. I think they would have quickly realized the benefits of eating a lot of meat, and the ability to attack and destroy the neighbouring peoples.

    With meat comes muscle. With muscle come strength. With strength comes dominance.

  9. #169
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Fruit did not grow in the winter months until we made it so (at least in my part of the world).
    What time of year do things like grapefruit and lemons grow whet you live then? Mine are full of fruit and it's mid winter here (not cold enough to snow, but often in the low single digits Celsius, with fruits a few times in the pay couple of months).

    I think the picture of all fruit being a summer bounty only is wrong.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  10. #170
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,448
    Yep, the amount of distorted information (and flat out lies) out there is amazing.

    Mike Richards (who does bone analysis) put together a summary of the arachaeological evidence for the common reader. I'd suggest everyone read it. It's only a few pages, and it's based on what we know, not random speculation.

    "A brief review of the archaeological evidence for Palaeolithic and Neolithic subsistence"
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v...f/1601646a.pdf

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •