Thread: Nuts and seeds..... page

MattyB79 is offline Junior Member

Nuts and seeds.....

Primal Fuel
    How much nuts and seeds are too much? And how often?

F.Fellini is offline Member
    I don't eat nuts personally, but if you do, here's what I would recommend:

-Macadamias are pretty safe, albeit not very nutritious (and expensive). They are fine to eat often as a snack if you really want to.
    -Hazelnuts and cashews are low enough in pufa to be an acceptable once and a while snack or addition in recipes.
    -Almonds and Walnuts have pretty good nutrients, but are high enough in PUFA that I would only have them very rarely.
    -Other nuts and seeds I'd avoid.
    -I also wouldn't recommend cooking with nuts, particularly at high temperatures.

This is just me, though, and to a certain extent my recommendations are arbitrary. Do what you want.

EDIT: Excessive praise or fear of nuts is a bit ridiculous. But I'm not sure why you would eat nuts when there are such things as chocolate, cheese, and coconut products in the world.
    Last edited by F.Fellini; 07-09-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Rob45 is offline Junior Member
    I`ve been living on nuts since going primal! Almonds, cashews and macadamias, plus almond and cashew butter! Was seeing good weight loss, 11lbs over the first 2 weeks, now things have slowed down.

Would you recommend to switch to something else to snack on through the day?

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyB79 View Post
    How much nuts and seeds are too much? And how often?
    A problem with nuts is that for many people, they are very easy to overeat. (Me, I could easily eat half a pound of raw macadamia nuts in one sitting.) The folks over at Whole30 call a serving size approximately one closed fist's worth of nuts. They've suggested considering nuts to be a condiment, not the main part of a meal. That works for me.

I can't speak to PUFAs and Omega 3/Omega 6 ratios in different nuts; if you have questions about these, I'm sure many folks here can help.

My staple nuts are raw macadamias, raw hazelnuts, raw almonds, raw walnuts, and almond butter. My favorite nut snack is almond butter drizzled over apple slices. Nom!
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob45 View Post
    I`ve been living on nuts since going primal! Almonds, cashews and macadamias, plus almond and cashew butter! Was seeing good weight loss, 11lbs over the first 2 weeks, now things have slowed down.

Would you recommend to switch to something else to snack on through the day?
    i'd recommend eating sufficiently big meals that you don't feel compelled to snack at all.

nuts are a garnish for me, over a salad or cooked veggies.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Nonhydrous calories, omega-6 fat, and antinutrients are all things I prefer to minimize. It's possible that all of this is harmless but it's enough doubt I don't see a need for them.

I'll buy them for party and holiday recipes, preferably refrigerated.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agree very easy to overeat .
    I have been trying to limit intake to get that extra 3% bf off & working ,

My fav almond butter banana with bacon or dark Choc !!! Would be an epic ice cream flavour!

London