Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby? page

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member

What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My friend's granddaughter just turned 1. She only weighs 15lbs and is fed a vegan diet. S (my friend) is concerned bc of baby's weight and how sickly and skinny she is. Says she has a giant head and stick legs and arms and reminds her of those starving African babies.
    The mother (DIL of S) only feeds baby veggies and freaks if anything else is given to eat. S gave her a bite of toast and the mother went crazy bc she didn't want the baby to get fat from eating bread.
    She wouldn't let the baby even touch the birthday cake bc sugar would make the baby fat.
    I *think* the baby is breastfed.
    Baby has never seen a doctor or nurse so the weight issue has never come up.
    S has tried to say that meat, eggs, fat etc are crucial for a developing baby but she just gets dismissed as the overbearing MIL.
    How do you get someone to feed their baby properly? I would hate for the baby to get really ill or even die from being undernourished. Is there anything you can do or say??

S always coos over my 8mos old (who is 23lbs) and wishes her granddaughter could be chubby and healthy too.

Edited to add: The granddaughter lives about 500 miles away from S so she can't be there in person too often.
    Last edited by blondiegreen; 07-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Oh god that makes me angry...

I have no idea, as meddling in anyone's child-rearing is a huge no-no, but surely this is some form of neglect. Or something. This is beyond just physical danger, there are also developmental issues to consider.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I couldn't agree more with Allenete, fat is essential to brain development! I can't say any more it makes me too angry to even think about it.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like this baby is 'failing to thrive', 15lb translates to 6.8kg. If you look at this centile chart of 0-1yo girls, the child in question is between the 2nd and 0.5th percentiles.

Edit: Misread the child's weight.

I agree with the people suggesting an anonymous dob-in to whatever the children's social welfare institution in your country is.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-08-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    I don't usually care too much what people eat, but when it comes to an innocent baby, that worries me!
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Child
    Protective
    Services

Sent via A-10 Warthog

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Anonymous tip to Child Protective Services (or the Canadian equ) or the cops.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Beachbrat is offline Junior Member
    You need to call CPS or the local police department about neglect. I am an ER nurse in a pediatric hospital and this child's veryblife could be in danger. Getting CPS involved does not necessarily mean the child would be taken away. It means that the child and mother would get the help they need and that the child would have to see a doctor on a regular basis for awhile.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I actually do not recommend CPS first. I know it seems easy, but it could create a massive mess for this family. If it comes to that, then fine. But if not, then all the better.

I would start by not talking about diet. Instead, I would talk about the growth charts. I would send her SON (not DIL) an email with a growth chart for *breastfed babies* that would indicate that the child is too small, and from there, just assert that there might be an issue of absorption of nutrients that could cause the problem, and that they might consider having a vegan-friendly family doctor check the baby for this sort of issue because then s/he would be well equipped to provide the best advice for this family.

Now, you'll notice that there is a lot of support in there -- it's not veganism that's the problem, it may be an absorption issue; go to a vegan-friendly doctor so that if it is a problem, s/he can provide you with dietary advice within your comfort zones; etc. It's the sort of thing that doesn't judge the dietary issue and focuses on the health of the baby.

Then, she can follow up to ask her SON "what do you think about that information that I sent -- about the chart? Have you thought about finding a vegan-friendly doctor to have a look?"

And then, you know, if she's not concerned, it's an option to call CPS. She might also volunteer to take the child in lieu of the child going "into the system." because, pretty much, if the child is frail, thin, listless, etc -- and shows all kinds of failure to thrive things -- it's likely that CPS will take the child immediately, put it into custody, and goodness knows what will happen to her. Often, family members do not get the children, but she can ask first and see if the child would go to a family member OR into the foster care system.

From there, she might decide that it's best to simply wait until she sees the child, and then take the child to the doctor herself to see how the child is doing.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Child
    Protective
    Services
    you beat me to it. I would call protective services in a heartbeat.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast