Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby? page 9

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Right. Because we know for a fact that the child is starving and suffering from hearsay when the OP hasn't even seen the child in question yet. Shoot first, ask questions later. It's the great American way!
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Not a soul on here has commended the parents. A few have mentioned that we are hearing this story third hand possibly through a biased pov (mil). Isn't "too thin" a common complaint?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    "Child Protective Services, how can I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like to report that a baby I've never seen is allegedly not following The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson."

"Oh, thank God you called when you did!"

"Really?"

"No, I'm being sarcastic. What the fuck is The Primal Blueprint?"

"Nice language. It's a set of ten laws that Grok followed to ensure optimal gene expression."

"Who's Grok? Is that the baby's father?"

"No, Grok was a caveman who lived 10,000 years ago. Am I speaking to an idiot?"

"My bad. So how has the baby angered Grok?"

"The baby is violating primal law #1: eat lots of plants and animals. She's on a vegan diet."

"Oh, that's so healthy. It really helps to keep your saturated fat and cholesterol down."

"No, that's just conventional wisdom. You can actually eat unlimited saturated fat once you're a fat burning beast. And you don't have to worry about cholesterol - it just doesn't matter. It's the refined carbs and rancid seed oils you have to watch out for."

"Oh yeah, my sister's doing the low carb thing. She tries to stay under 50 grams a day."

"No, the carb curve is a myth! Mark was wrong about the carb curve and the insulin theory of obesity, but obviously he's right about everything else!"

"Who's Mark? Is he the baby's father?"

"I hope not!"

"Anyway, you're concerned because the baby's on a vegan diet?"

"Yeah, they didn't even let her have birthday cake."

"You think she needs birthday cake?"

"It can be part of her 20 percent. Look, a healthy diet consists of meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and birthday cake. I don't see what's so hard to understand."

"So why are you concerned about the baby?"

"She just turned 1, and she only weighs 15 pounds."

"That's on the low end of normal, but still normal. Is she being breastfed?"

"Yeah, but she looks very skinny."

"But you've never seen her."

"No, it's my friend's granddaughter, and she lives 500 miles away from the baby. Anyway, people on Mark's forum said that I had to report this."

"I don't see what the problem is. Did the baby's doctor say anything?"

"They've never taken her to a doctor."

"Now that's a problem. Babies need regular doctor visits. If they won't take her, we might have to intervene. But you really don't want that if it can be avoided. Talk to your friend, have her talk to the parents and make sure the baby sees a doctor. If they refuse, then call us back. Child Protective Services is a last resort."

"OK, I guess that makes sense. Now I know."

"And knowing is half the battle!"
    Because the issue isn't the fact the child's very possibly being starved to death, but that it isn't eating primal? What thread have you been you reading?

janie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Hunter-
    If you think that a baby being possibly starved is funny, then I think you are one sad soul.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Because the issue isn't the fact the child's very possibly being starved to death, but that it isn't eating primal? What thread have you been you reading?
    So you guys aren't complaining about the vegan thing? What then, mom's just not allowing enough nipple access?
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Primal Hunter-
    If you think that a baby being possibly starved is funny, then I think you are one sad soul.
    A starved baby is not funny, but neither is filing a frivolous complaint with Child Protective Services.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    So you guys aren't complaining about the vegan thing? What then, mom's just not allowing enough nipple access?
    It's an underweight baby (bottom 1% of bodyweight), about a year old, never seen a doctor. Plus the mom is worried about the baby (again, bottom 1% of bodyweight for a child her age) getting fat.

If she was primal, I'd have issue with the above. The vegan diet is irrelevant. Period.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Of course we're complaining about the "vegan thing," for which the technical term is "starving your baby to death."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/op...anck.html?_r=0

Oh, and even if they're breastfeeding this child (which is not how the original post reads), a vegan's breast milk lacks the vitamins and minerals that the child needs. Breast fed children of vegan mothers also die as a result.

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/bei...infant-safety/
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 07-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It's an underweight baby (bottom 1% of bodyweight), about a year old, never seen a doctor.
    I don't know ... I see good reasons to be concerned. This baby should be examined by someone.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A starved baby is not funny, but neither is filing a frivolous complaint with Child Protective Services.
    If there is the slightest chance that the baby is in danger there is no such thing as a frivolous complaint. The mother seems unreceptive to suggestions and apparently has her own "fear of fat" issues that shes dangerously applying to the diet of a growing baby.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast