Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 111

Thread: What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby? page 3

  1. #21
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,414
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It definitely sounds like the mother has a mental illness more than strong vegan principles.
    Chicken or egg?

  2. #22
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Actually, malnourishment is extremely common amongst babies who breast-feed from vegan mothers. It's a crime. If you must be vegan, don't dare even consider reproducing (Don't worry, nature will sort this out for you soon enough).
    op doesn't specify that the mom is vegan too, but you are absolutely right.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  3. #23
    lea's Avatar
    lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    348
    My other thought is 1 and has never seen a doctor? There could be lots wrong!
    Indeed. Get the child to a doctor first thing, would be my advice. The doctor may be able to give advice in the way the DIL will take it. I would also go through your son if possible to suggest it. If that advice fails, you may need CPS, but I would hate to go there first. However, if the child is really in danger you may have to, no matter what trouble it causes.

    Could you set up a doctors appointment and visit to make sure it happens? That would be the first thing I would do.

    The fear of a fat baby is a bit problem as well, sounds like it might be bigger than the vegan issue. There was someone on myfitnesspal the other day who said their doctor told them that babies need fat and to feed it butter and she was still freaking out about it.

  4. #24
    anna5's Avatar
    anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    346
    Looks like crime.

  5. #25
    ELizabeth826's Avatar
    ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    Indeed. Get the child to a doctor first thing, would be my advice. The doctor may be able to give advice in the way the DIL will take it. I would also go through your son if possible to suggest it. If that advice fails, you may need CPS, but I would hate to go there first. However, if the child is really in danger you may have to, no matter what trouble it causes.

    Could you set up a doctors appointment and visit to make sure it happens? That would be the first thing I would do.

    The fear of a fat baby is a bit problem as well, sounds like it might be bigger than the vegan issue. There was someone on myfitnesspal the other day who said their doctor told them that babies need fat and to feed it butter and she was still freaking out about it.
    I agree with this, calling CPS without exhausting other options seems extreme. It may eventually (but hopefully not) become necessary, but I'd say talk to the son and try to get them to see a doctor first. Any mildly competent doctor will recognize malnourishment and failure to thrive in that baby.

    Which, WHY have they never taken the baby to see a doctor? Is there an intense fear or distrust of doctors? Even if I didn't feel that baby check ups were worthwhile in general, I cannot imagine seeing that my child is THAT much smaller than others of a similar age and not being very, very concerned. I really just cannot fathom why there has not been a single trip to the doctor.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

  6. #26
    oceangrl's Avatar
    oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,978
    I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away. Families are often torn apart needlessly because they have to go by their guidelines and are often too understaffed and underfunded to take the time to help in the way I am sure we all would like to see. However, immediate intervention of some sort needs to happen ASAP.

    This family needs a hero and it is beyond my comprehension why Dad or a family member or friend hasn't stepped up. This mom sounds like she has mental issues big time and her child is suffering because of it. If there is nobody close to them to immediately step up then CPS should be involved. Very sad story.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  7. #27
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away. Families are often torn apart needlessly because they have to go by their guidelines and are often too understaffed and underfunded to take the time to help in the way I am sure we all would like to see. However, immediate intervention of some sort needs to happen ASAP.

    This family needs a hero and it is beyond my comprehension why Dad or a family member or friend hasn't stepped up. This mom sounds like she has mental issues big time and her child is suffering because of it. If there is nobody close to them to immediately step up then CPS should be involved. Very sad story.
    This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.

  8. #28
    oceangrl's Avatar
    oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.
    I think that is what I said.

    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #29
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,414
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I would hesitate to bring CPS in right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Don't hesitate.
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I think that is what I said.
    If you say so.

  10. #30
    lea's Avatar
    lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    348
    This is an imminent threat to the baby's development of body and brain. Don't hesitate. It may be too late already, but if you don't act now, you might regret it later.
    Which is why I would take the child to a DOCTOR asap. The doctor is more likely to be helpful immediately than CPS, and if they suspect abuse will indeed call CPS. And if you call CPS and they are actually helpful, they will send the child to a doctor.

    Cut out the middleman and rush the child into the doctors office immediately.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •