Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby? page 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I don't think this is a vegan issue and I think pushing that particular agenda will just cloud the issue. The comments about not wanting the baby to be fat sound more like mental health issue. I think one clear and direct conversation about being concerned about the baby's health and needing an agreement that the baby gets a check up immediately, and then bringing in CPS. And none of this anonymous round-about BS. Be real and be direct and stick to the issue.

While it is true that CPS is often psycho, it is also true that those are just the cases that make the news and that they can be useful in helping a family that has a mental health issue face up to the cold hard reality that not getting treatment is putting their child in danger.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you beat me to it. I would call protective services in a heartbeat.
    Without hesitation. Every minute this child remains undernourished and you don't do everything in your power to save it is on you.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    There was an episode like this on House once. Sick vegan baby that was small - turned out to have an illness.

My other thought is 1 and has never seen a doctor? There could be lots wrong! I'm the last person to see a doctor, but they have baby check ups for a reason!

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    Stories like that make me very angry. This is child abuse.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Child
    Protective
    Services
    The baby is missing some really important brain nutrients if she isn't at least supplementing in some way.

NewfMom is offline Junior Member
    It is child abuse, but so is all the children who are fed crap all the time. What makes this so sad is that she believes she is doing the very best for her child. As Shazzie explains in her article below, the failures are not well known in the vegan community and are mostly covered up - she also states in the article that it is child abuse.

I would share this information from these two Mom's who are well known in the vegan community...

Shazzie's article on raw vegan children
    Shazzie wrote a book about it - her daughter now eats eggs, grass fed butter and cheese, and she supplements with DHA, EPA, K2, D3, etc.

My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? » Kristen's Raw
    Kristen has transitioned to more of a primal diet.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Child
    Protective
    Services

Sent via A-10 Warthog
    Definitely. It is not meddling.

Between the ages of birth and 4 I lived next door to a family with neglected/abused children. Back then you did not meddle in others' affairs. The mother burned down the house with a cigarette just before she adopted a little girl. Because everything was new after the fire her house had the appearance of being clean and nice. That was not the reality. The little girl arrived to their family with clear eyes and within a month of the neglect her eyes were dull and listless. All the children were dirty and the boys were violent. Almost 50 years later my mother deeply regrets not telling the authorities before the adoption.

Sometimes you cannot change the mother's ways so if you do try to talk with her, don't expect much. But don't let it go on. It definitely sounds like the mother has a mental illness more than strong vegan principles.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    if the baby is still being breast-fed it shouldn't be underweight, so there is some other kind of issue here, besides the obvious one of the utterly insufficient nutrition of a vegan diet for an infant. good god and baby jesus.

are both the parents on-board with this lunacy? or is the dad simply taking a back seat? it may be possible to divide and conquer before getting cps involved, but whatever happens needs to be done yesterday.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewfMom View Post
    It is child abuse, but so is all the children who are fed crap all the time. What makes this so sad is that she believes she is doing the very best for her child. As Shazzie explains in her article below, the failures are not well known in the vegan community and are mostly covered up - she also states in the article that it is child abuse.

I would share this information from these two Mom's who are well known in the vegan community...

Shazzie's article on raw vegan children
    Shazzie wrote a book about it - her daughter now eats eggs, grass fed butter and cheese, and she supplements with DHA, EPA, K2, D3, etc.

My Vegan Diet Caused Health Problems. Would Primal, Paleo, Or “Real Food” Be Better? » Kristen's Raw
    Kristen has transitioned to more of a primal diet.
    i just read these links. if children fail to thrive and suffer so badly, why do adults think this is ok for themselves? my gawd, people are stoopid.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 07-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    if the baby is still being breast-fed it shouldn't be underweight, so there is some other kind of issue here, besides the obvious one of the utterly insufficient nutrition of a vegan diet for an infant. good god and baby jesus.

are both the parents on-board with this lunacy? or is the dad simply taking a back seat? it may be possible to divide and conquer before getting cps involved, but whatever happens needs to be done yesterday.
    Actually, malnourishment is extremely common amongst babies who breast-feed from vegan mothers. It's a crime. If you must be vegan, don't dare even consider reproducing (Don't worry, nature will sort this out for you soon enough).

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast