Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: What to do or say re: undernourished vegan baby? page 11

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Unless the grandma is a nosey, nothing to do, mess starter.... Not like that doesn't happen. I'm in complete agreement with Primal Hunter. And lots of Mammas don't stop bf'ing until around 2, that not a big deal.

The OP has never even seen the child so...

And there is such a thing as small kids, short and small. Those guidelines put lots of babies overweight and underweight.

I don't know much about vegan bf'ing so maybe you are all right and a baby cannot thrive on it. I do know that when I was in college many people I studied with we're vegans and also parents. We were all studying to be Doctors and nobody thought being a vegan was anything but the healthiest diet ever.
    Didn't work for me, obviously. I also keep in contact with a few of my classmates and they are still vegan and think eating meat every day is gonna send me, my husband and my kids a few/several yrs early to our graves. And unless someone is celiac many doctors think its totally unhealthy not to feed your kids grains/wheat.

I think that OP was a troll anyway...

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Chicken or egg?
    Haha
    Billie trips balls

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Uh - I never took my kids to well baby checkups. They usually went something like this - weigh baby, measure baby, tell me I should be giving them baby cereals. I could weigh my kids on my own - no need to waste an hour or two of my day to take my kids to the Dr. for things I already know/can do on my own/am just going to ignore!

Also, my youngest refused solids and was exclusively breastfed until 17 months. Babies don't really need any nutrition other than breastmilk until they are a year old. Their bodies can not properly digest food/absorb the nutrients in it until a year.

I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with the child - but some of the comments made here seem a little alarmist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamame View Post
    Uh - I never took my kids to well baby checkups. They usually went something like this - weigh baby, measure baby, tell me I should be giving them baby cereals. I could weigh my kids on my own - no need to waste an hour or two of my day to take my kids to the Dr. for things I already know/can do on my own/am just going to ignore!
    Sometimes going to the doctor is a waste of time and money.

Also, my youngest refused solids and was exclusively breastfed until 17 months. Babies don't really need any nutrition other than breastmilk until they are a year old. Their bodies can not properly digest food/absorb the nutrients in it until a year.
    My daughter was exclusively breastfed until about a year, when she started eating adult food on her own. We didn't deny her food previously. But if she picked up something and put it in her mouth, it usually came back out again.

Americans are obsessive about the need for stuffing processed "baby food" into the mouths of babies, as they are about all sorts of developmental stages that are neurologically controlled. It is as though they would never start eating solid food/wean from breast-feeding/wean from bottle-feeding/become toilet-trained/sleep through the night/speak unless they are forced to by adults.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    Exactly Katherine!

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    I've talked to the grandma and she said she would email or talk to her son, the dad. Hopefully the talk or email will include a look at growth charts and such. I said that maybe she could mention that now it's recommended that baby's first foods should be meat bc it's easier to digest than grains and cruciferous veggies.
    Last edited by blondiegreen; 07-13-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting an update, Blondiegreen. I hope all works out well for the baby.

momrn is offline Member
    Years ago there was a story about a frutarian family whose children were like that. The child was fed only fruit and in limited quanities. CPS was called, they bolted, and I'm pretty certain the boy died.

I just tried to find the story. When I searched son of frutarian family, pages of vegan child deaths came up.

As broken as the CPS system is, now would be the time to call them. The child probably needs to be hospitalized.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by momrn View Post
    Years ago there was a story about a frutarian family whose children were like that. The child was fed only fruit and in limited quanities. CPS was called, they bolted, and I'm pretty certain the boy died.

I just tried to find the story. When I searched son of frutarian family, pages of vegan child deaths came up.

As broken as the CPS system is, now would be the time to call them. The child probably needs to be hospitalized.
    If the child does get taken to the doctor, that may happen.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast