Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The No-Nonsense Way to Build Strength page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Can I pick as my "muscle group" the entire body?
    Only if your doing a clean and press

Really I'm trying to think of any other single exercise that does hit everything??? Anyone got another one? Deadlift leaves out the tris and shoulders and chest. Chins and dips leave out the legs. Squats are good, but not gonna count that for chest shoulder or arms. Is the clean and press the only one?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Just because I'm "that guy," here's a paper that I think makes clear the problematic state of exercise physiology "science"

Starting Strength

I'm sure Gorbag will have some rude comments and try to discredit Dr. Sullivan for his affiliation with one Mark Rippetoe, but it's worth a read and I highly recommend it. Besides being well-written and damn exhaustive, it's actually quite funny.
    Last edited by RichMahogany; 07-08-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Here is a sample of a study Carp did back in 2004

http://www.asep.org/files/OttoV4.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Only if your doing a clean and press

Really I'm trying to think of any other single exercise that does hit everything??? Anyone got another one? Deadlift leaves out the tris and shoulders and chest. Chins and dips leave out the legs. Squats are good, but not gonna count that for chest shoulder or arms. Is the clean and press the only one?
    If I was allowed only one resistance exercise it would be the Turkish Get up. I think that one covers it all.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Just because I'm "that guy," here's a paper that I think makes clear the problematic state of exercise physiology "science"

Starting Strength

I'm sure Gorbag will have some rude comments and try to discredit Dr. Sullivan for his affiliation with one Mark Rippetoe, but it's worth a read and I highly recommend it. Besides being well-written and damn exhaustive, it's actually quite funny.
    Cool, this is gonna take a bit of time, but it does indeed look worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    If I was allowed only one resistance exercise it would be the Turkish Get up. I think that one covers it all.
    lol.... how could I forget that.... we just talked about it!

So he determines that because the ACSM has failed to sufficiently support a bunch of their claims (a point on which I'd agree wholeheartedly), that the right course of action is to do what's easy and fun as opposed to taking clues about what's effective from all strong people ever?

Heresy!!!!! Barbell squat is king. Find me a guy who got as strong as Doug Young or Konstantin Konstantinovs by Turkish getting up.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Heresy!!!!! Barbell squat is king. Find me a guy who got as strong as Doug Young or Konstantin Konstantinovs by Turkish getting up.
    On pure strength you are probably correct. However, most injuries occur due to muscle imbalances. Properly done, the TGU is probably the best exercise for restoring muscle balance, mechanics and strength.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On pure strength you are probably correct. However, most injuries occur due to muscle imbalances. Properly done, the TGU is probably the best exercise for restoring muscle balance, mechanics and strength.
    I actually like the TGU, but this is a load of unmitigated B.S. The squat outdoes the TGU on every count, and muscle imbalances is a nebulously defined buzzword used to justify the expense of largely useless physical therapy and/or bad personal training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast