Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Strength Training with Other Stuff.... page

slog is offline Member

Mixing Strength Training with Other Stuff....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since moving away from longcourse triathlon, I've been following the Starting Strength programme , sprinting once a week and walking the dog a lot I know the SS programme has it's critics, but I value it's simplicity, and has got me into picking heavy shit up in a measurable, logical way, whilst preventing potential time wasting. I learned this early on in swim training- it pays to hit the pool/gym with a plan, even if it ain't THE best plan there is...
    However, since my goal is ultimately to look good naked, rather than enter powerlifting events, I'm wondering if I could be doing more than I am from a fat loss perspective, in particular, some intense bodyweight based circuit stuff. The thing I'm most anxious about is whether doing this will cancel out the benefits of my heavy stuff as I'm not allowing time to recover and repair by doing HIIT stuff on my off days. It's just that coming from a 15-20 hr "more is more" training week to what I'm doing now feels like I'm not doing enough

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    You'll get good results just sticking with the plan.

That said, some people can handle lots of workout volume well. I have no problem doing a lot of "extra" stuff--hiking, sports, metcon-type workouts, all sorts of playing around, etc.--and it doesn't affect my progress on my lifts. I think a lot of it is because I was always "high volume" with sports growing up, and lifted 6 days per week for years and years. I just hit my lifts 3x per week now, and fill in the other days with whatever I feel like. I take days completely off if I feel tired or don't have time or whatever, but if I want to do something I just do it.

Find what works for you; if you're not making progress dial things down a bit.

slog is offline Member
    Thanks for your reply. I suppose I just need to suck it and see. Going from twice daily training to once every other day seems a bit underkill......

neilyus is offline Junior Member
    Your body will tell you if your doing too much. If everything is going well then one day you can't lift the same or move the same as you did the rest of the week - just stop and go home.

You'll find that your body will adapt over a period of time and be able to do multiple days. However, you don't want to do too much too soon, and then burn out.

Sent from my C6603 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slog View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I suppose I just need to suck it and see. Going from twice daily training to once every other day seems a bit underkill......
    if your ass isn't kicked from truly following the ss plan, then you aren't doing something right. I've never heard a novice lifter refer to ss or any similar program as "underkill."
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

miata is online now Senior Member
    I would check out the Body by Science Book if you are interested in time efficient strength gains. If you mostly want to focus on looking good then do some searches on Four Hour Body (Occam's protocol). Another good web site is Kinobody.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I lift 3x a week, sprint 1x a week, hike 1x a week and walk daily. It's not too much. 9 months in and I'm finally seeing some nice body comp changes, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

slog is offline Member
    Thanks for your responses guys. Sorry, I didn't mean to show disrespect to the SS programme!! I'm pretty sure I'm doing it as prescribed, the only difference is I do 3 sets of deadlifts eyeballs out, with 4 mins rest between sets. I'm really enjoying the novel "I've been in a car crash " aching feeling from my knees to my ears, rather than just from my nuts down as it was with tri training.....

Mini_mi is offline Member
    hey slog,
    You don't say what your age is. That will make a difference regarding recovery time and results. I was a triathalete for 10 years many moons ago. Switched to Starting strength after I quit doing triathalons. Starting strength has one goal..increase strength period. Looking good naked aint going to happen with that program. Although diet is pretty much the primary determiner of looks and weight, I have found a mix of body weight and kettlebell work to be the best for giving one a lean sculpted 'look good naked' physique. I'm 55 now and am able to workout using a combination of pull ups, pushups and kettlebell work 5 days a week. My physique is better than most people i know who are half my age. Adjust your diet according to energy level and weight.
    Hope this helps

Primalsaber is offline Member
    Although I'm young and probably recover better (though I have trouble sleeping) I lift pretty heavy 5 days a week. I also do MovNat-like workouts, i.e. while walking/hiking I'll climb trees, pick up branches, sprint when I feel like it. That just makes me tired, not sore. My Crossfit gym said they'll consider letting me go to open gym if I attend their teens class enough for them to gauge if I'm safe enough with my technique, so I generally also do 1 or 2 metcons a week (gonna cut that out after I have the get-go). The Crossfit workouts are designed to make you sore. I just make sure I get additional calories and take warm baths/cold showers/foam roll and do some soft tissue release and I'm able to do a second, shorter workout on the SAME day, which feels better than 7 days of workouts. Sorry if that was a bit verbose, my point was I prefer to do circuits/met-cons on the same day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast