Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to start lifting weights...1st step: find a coach/trainer? page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

Want to start lifting weights...1st step: find a coach/trainer?

Shop Now
    I've decided I want to try some weightlifting after having given it up years ago. I've been reading the book Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Now the question is, how to start? Do I find a trainer/coach to help me out with getting the form down or is the book and various videos enough? If I should find a trainer how do you find a good one? Finding a gym looks not to be so easy either, as I noticed that some don't even have squat racks (i.e. Planet Fitness). Mostly stationary bikes, etc.

I thought about going to some CrossFit places in the area and asking around, not because I want to do CrossFit, but it might turn up some leads. At least it seems there is a lot of crossover between people who do CrossFit and who are into Primal/Paleo stuff.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Personally I think you should take half a day watching youtube videos on correct form first. See what your comfort level is before deciding how much help you are going to need.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    I did 8 one-hour sessions on the main lifts with a coach to make sure my form was good. I think it was a great investment. There is a lot going on tht you can't observe directly. If you don't go that route, then do a lot of filming from different angles to check form against SS and YouTube.

I also didn't really know my way around a gym and weight lifting equipment so it was a real help just to get oriented.

Strting Strength is a great reference. So is Becoming a Supple Leopard.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    You can learn the lifts just fine without a trainer. They can be expensive, and their advice might be counterproductive ("Squats are bad for your knees!"). What worked for me was to record all my sets (even the warmups) and watch them while I was resting. If something didn't look right, I'd work on that during the next set.

If you're still unsure about your form, post a video here or on the Starting Strength forum, and you should get any help that you need. And find a gym with a power rack and a place to do deadlifts. There's probably one somewhere in your area.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

umm7 is offline Senior Member
    That's what I do, record an watch while resting. Very helpful!! I just bought a used weight bench, bar and plates off of craigslist. I also spent a few days before
    I started watching YouTube, Ripp had many videos there teaching how to do each lift along with some classes.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    You can learn the lifts just fine without a trainer. They can be expensive, and their advice might be counterproductive ("Squats are bad for your knees!"). What worked for me was to record all my sets (even the warmups) and watch them while I was resting. If something didn't look right, I'd work on that during the next set.

If you're still unsure about your form, post a video here or on the Starting Strength forum, and you should get any help that you need. And find a gym with a power rack and a place to do deadlifts. There's probably one somewhere in your area.
    This is great advice. I had a lot of success with videotaping my lifts, posting them as requests for form checks when I couldn't figure out what was going wrong (or if I wasn't sure if something was going wrong), but a lot of the time I could see how I was deviating from the model laid out in the book on my own and work to correct it. The lifts are technical, but not super complicated. Follow the steps for learning them in the book to the letter and you'll be most of the way there, I promise.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for your input so farů

And find a gym with a power rack and a place to do deadlifts. There's probably one somewhere in your area.
    So I visited one today where I can do deadlifts, and they have a squat rack but not a power cage. Do you think that is good enough?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    So I visited one today where I can do deadlifts, and they have a squat rack but not a power cage. Do you think that is good enough?
    That should be fine. Just make sure that you can place the bar at around sternum level before you begin to squat and that you can safely dump the bar onto the safeties if needed.

Your form won't be perfect at first, but it will improve with practice. Best of luck.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    That should be fine. Just make sure that you can place the bar at around sternum level
    Armpit level. You can always work with an inch or 2 lower, but not higher.

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    AllPro: A Simple Beginner's Routine part IIII - Bodybuilding.com Forums

I've just started this, it explains everything in easy terms and shows how to do each lift with videos.

First time I've tried a link, hope it works,
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast