Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to start lifting weights...1st step: find a coach/trainer? page 3

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So maybe I want to revise my previous statement a bit as I got to a point where squats are quite difficult now and I think it's because I've increased weight too fast without nailing the form down...I was speaking to one of the trainers at my gym and he suggested dropping down to an easier weight and increasing reps and frequency of sets (instead of doing 3x5). It makes sense to me. Wouldn't this help me build up muscle memory for the proper feel of the movement? I wonder if doing the SS program without a coach sets you up for injury if you're not careful. (Because of the emphasis on increasing weight by 5 to 10 lbs each squat workout).

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    I think I mentioned Pavels Power To The People protocol before. You could modify that, one major exercise per day and one secondary one, so dead lift and a press, or squats and weighted chins etc. 2 sets of 5 for main lifts.

Start light ish and lift 4-5 times a week. The volume is there but spread over more sessions.

Add weight to main lifts every session if you can. After 10 sessions, start again a little up from original start point, for 10 more sessions. So it's a cyclical linear progression.

Cool thing is, it adds poundage, but then a lot of the time is spent lifting lower poundage as you cycle back up.

Plus points - short sessions
    Plenty of relatively low intensity 'practice'
    You get very strong
    Less chance of overtraining

Negatives - none I can think of. The PTTP program only focussed on dead lifts and a press, but adding chin-ups, squat, perhaps hanging knee raises would work well

thriveful is offline Senior Member
    You could always reduce the added weight on SS to suit you, or just start with the bar a la Stronglifts

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    So maybe I want to revise my previous statement a bit as I got to a point where squats are quite difficult now and I think it's because I've increased weight too fast without nailing the form down...I was speaking to one of the trainers at my gym and he suggested dropping down to an easier weight and increasing reps and frequency of sets (instead of doing 3x5). It makes sense to me. Wouldn't this help me build up muscle memory for the proper feel of the movement? I wonder if doing the SS program without a coach sets you up for injury if you're not careful. (Because of the emphasis on increasing weight by 5 to 10 lbs each squat workout).
    Are you afraid of success, man? Video tape your next work sets and post them in the SS Coach's forum. The "frequency" you need for nailing the form down is called your warm-up sets. Don't make excuses to deload. DON'T MAKE EXCUSES TO DELOAD.

1. Correct your form (post videos)
    2. Use warm-up sets to "practice" correct form
    3. CONTINUE making progress

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    No, but I did reduce the weight and start working the weight up again and I think it really helped me...OK so I lost some time but so what, I'm no longer in pain. I should hit 200 tomorrow. I know that's not a lot, but it would have been unimaginable to me a month ago.

I think I probably started with a weight too high at the start, so at +10lbs per workout I quickly got into a situation where bar weight was too much for where I was form/coordination-wise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123