Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Want to start lifting weights...1st step: find a coach/trainer? page 2

  1. #11
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,413
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol blackcat View Post
    AllPro: A Simple Beginner's Routine part IIII - Bodybuilding.com Forums

    I've just started this, it explains everything in easy terms and shows how to do each lift with videos.
    Clearly a hypertrophy routine based on the set and rep scheme. Probably best left to people who are already somewhat strong. Exercise selection isn't bad (except the bicep curls and calf raises, also a bodybuilder thing)
    First time I've tried a link, hope it works,

  2. #12
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Clearly a hypertrophy routine based on the set and rep scheme. Probably best left to people who are already somewhat strong. Exercise selection isn't bad (except the bicep curls and calf raises, also a bodybuilder thing)
    First time I've tried a link, hope it works,
    What do you think would be better. I thought it was aimed at beginners. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  3. #13
    StupidFatHobbit's Avatar
    StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Thanks for all the tips/advice. I'm signed up for a gym and plan to do my first SS workout tomorrow. Wish me luck!

  4. #14
    Sol blackcat's Avatar
    Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sunderland England
    Posts
    368
    What happened to LH?

    Good luck. Hope you enjoy it.
    FTM. I'm not biased, I hope everybody beats the mags!

  5. #15
    StupidFatHobbit's Avatar
    StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Thanks…so far so good! It feels amazing immediately afterwards but then the day after I was feeling super sore. In fact I was worried I wouldn't feel up to doing today's session but after the warm up it was fine.

  6. #16
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Thanks…so far so good! It feels amazing immediately afterwards but then the day after I was feeling super sore. In fact I was worried I wouldn't feel up to doing today's session but after the warm up it was fine.
    The delayed soreness gets better over the course of a few weeks in my experience. Your body gets more used to the new stresses.

  7. #17
    StupidFatHobbit's Avatar
    StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    142
    Just to post an update: I've kept up with doing SS so far and I am enjoying it. I keep going back to videos, reading the book, and getting form checked on the SS forum. So far so good. The weight starts out light with SS so there is time to correct technique.

    It's true some lifts are technically trickier than they looked so I just try to improve a little each time and fix problems little by little. My number one goal is avoiding injury.

    My gym has tried to convince me to do their CF on-ramp (big bucks) but after seeing some of the bad form that gets by there (even I the total newb can notice it after reading Mark's book) I think I'll pass.

    I would consider a coaching session with a certified SS coach by otherwise I'm not impressed with trainers.

  8. #18
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,413
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    Just to post an update: I've kept up with doing SS so far and I am enjoying it. I keep going back to videos, reading the book, and getting form checked on the SS forum. So far so good. The weight starts out light with SS so there is time to correct technique.

    It's true some lifts are technically trickier than they looked so I just try to improve a little each time and fix problems little by little. My number one goal is avoiding injury.

    My gym has tried to convince me to do their CF on-ramp (big bucks) but after seeing some of the bad form that gets by there (even I the total newb can notice it after reading Mark's book) I think I'll pass.

    I would consider a coaching session with a certified SS coach by otherwise I'm not impressed with trainers.
    Right on!!!

    What's your username of SS Forums? I'd like to check out your videos.

  9. #19
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    954
    It sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep working on form and adding weight to the bar!
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  10. #20
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    I received some hands on and theory training in general fitness, and later got a PT (a few years into lifting). Money well spent, both. But i had to refuse a trainer the center assigned to me first. Now I look with envy at folks who train together, I think they are prepping for competitions. Their buddy system is very nice.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •