Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bloating, fructose malabsorption page

Waterlily is offline Senior Member

Bloating, fructose malabsorption

Since I've been on the Paleo lifestyle, I've been experiencing bloating. I'm gluten intolrerant and lactose intolerant. Could this be fructose malabsorption? I feel lost. I used to eat tons of bread, litres of icecream, total sugar addict and no bloating ever. I had a flat stomach, was 105 lbs and had energy. I found out I had gluten intolerance with little symptoms, just mild cramps. Stopped eating gluten and the cramps went away, and I gained 10 lbs in two months. Still no bloating. Strated Paleo to help with iron deficiency and I am now experiencing bad bloating, I look like I'm pregnant not long after a meal. Is it coconut? But I noticed it after eating a big salad too. Anyone have fructose malabsorption? Or coconut intolerance? Or lettuce allergy???? I'm thinking of trying the FODMAP diet.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    A few things stand out to me
    -Some people cannot tolerate coconut products that well. If that's new in your diet, try cutting back on it/stop using it and see how that helps.
    -Many people do not digest raw veggies well. If you didn't eat raw salad that often (or huge ones) in the past, try reducing that or not eating them for a little while to see if that helps. Try sticking to cooked veggies only.
    -Are you eating fruit? If you aren't eating fruit, fructose malabsorption is not likely to be an issue.
    -What is your average day of meals like? Any other digestive issues aside from bloating?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I am FODMAPS-intolerant. (As well as gluten and lactose-intolerant.)

I eat very few veggies these days (yay!) and get my micronutrients from meat, eggs, liver, seafood and cheese. Never felt better.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    -Are you eating fruit? If you aren't eating fruit, fructose malabsorption is not likely to be an issue.
    -What is your average day of meals like? Any other digestive issues aside from bloating?
    Thanks!
    I do eat fruits, lots of fruits. I'm still struggling with sugar cravings after almost 4 months Paleo so I eat fruits.

On an average day I will have:
    Breakfast: smoothie (blueberries, coconut milk, raw egg)
    Lunch: salad with sardines and homemade vinaigrette (seame oil/apple vinegar/maple sirup)
    Dinner:meat (chicken or beef or bison) with veggies (brocoli/cabbage/potatoes/etc).
    Snacks: apples/dark chocolate/oranges/berries/nuts

Thanks Dragonfly!

How did you start the low FODMAPd iet, what helped you figure out what to eat/not eat? Any good books on the subject?
    What cheese do you eat? I stay away from it (lactose intolerant).

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I am FODMAPS-intolerant. (As well as gluten and lactose-intolerant.)

I eat very few veggies these days (yay!) and get my micronutrients from meat, eggs, liver, seafood and cheese. Never felt better.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I'd start one-by-one eliminating all of the recent additions or increases. A few things you mentioned are commonly known to bloat some people: coconut, broccoli, apples, raw fibrous veggies, etc. Start by taking out coconut for 6-7 days and see what happens, then everything else. Nothing wrong with fruit but important to find the kinds that you do well with!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Thanks j3nn!

I will follow your advice and thanks for your input about transitionning my kids.
    You have supportive and encouraging replies.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    Thanks j3nn!

I will follow your advice and thanks for your input about transitionning my kids.
    You have supportive and encouraging replies.
    No problemo! Hope you find some relief.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
    Thanks Dragonfly!

How did you start the low FODMAPd iet, what helped you figure out what to eat/not eat? Any good books on the subject?
    What cheese do you eat? I stay away from it (lactose intolerant).
    I just dropped all veggies/fruits and started adding them back one at a time. Really the only way to do it, since sensitivity varies across individuals. I can eat spinach, tomatoes, pickles, olives, chard, and berries...probably a few more I am forgetting.

Don't know about books, but this article may be helpful: FODMAPs, IBS and the Paleo diet.

Any hard cheese will not have lactose in it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast