Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Colorado Girl's Journey to Healing and Health page 2

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I won't fill a prescription "just in case" and I sure don't go back to that doctor.

Hope you get better soon.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Fortunately I was able to talk with the nurse and PA at my GI and they were okay with me trying dietary changes first after I expressed my concerns about jumping straight to a prescription without trying other options first. (I hope they realize that I'm not the drug seeking type - I'm not paying you this money so you hand me a prescription - I'm doing it so you find out what's causing the problem so we can fix that, not just the symptoms, and so I can get better for good).

Most of what they recommended was stuff I was already doing on my paleo-based elimination diet.

I've started to reintroduce foods and my first 21 days is nearly up. My digestive symptoms have been much better but I know I still have a ways to go. I've only lost 2 pounds, and based on my calories and exercise it should have been more like 3-4, so I know there is still some inflammation going on encouraging my body to retain water and fat. I'm also still having some sleeping troubles (though those are starting to get better over the last couple days) - mostly having a hard time falling asleep, but that might be partly due to the heat. I don't think it's a coincidence that my sleep has been better since our overnight temperatures started getting down into the 50s. (I don't have AC, so the relative cool of my house is largely dependent on the outdoor temp). My nails are improving - but that may also be due to not wearing nail polish (I've noticed that tends to do more harm than good - so I only wear it for special occasions now - and the rest of the time I just use coconut oil on them as a conditioner). Hard to tell about my hair yet. But I'm hoping it will start to grow in a bit thicker - as it's gotten so fine (probably due to malnutrition and possibly hormone disturbance all related to my gut health) - and I want lush hair again!

So yeah, I'm not having major digestive symptoms anymore but I'm not totally healed either - it's a work in progress. I'm starting a 21 Day Primal challenge next, bought the book to be my guide. Now that I've reintroduced more foods I think I can handle it. Hoping to get my sleep reigned in so I've got more energy for working out (which I haven't been doing during the elimination phase - apart from walking to work most days and some light yoga).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

I had been doing great but yesterday I gave in to what can only accurately be called food addiction.

I had a sausage biscuit with egg from McDonalds for breakfast. A spicy chicken sandwich with a vanilla waffle cone from Wendy's for lunch and even though I really wasn't hungry I had two slices of leftover paleo pizza, a slice of paleo pumpkin bread AND a Whopper from Burger King for dinner . . . . oh, and two sodas yesterday.

Now I'm sitting here thinking again about how much I'd like another Whopper for dinner instead of going home and making something paleo for myself. Even though I know it's bad for me - and not just in the ways it's just generally bad for everyone - but because it harms my digestion every time I eat like that. Yet, despite the discomfort, despite the trips to the ER I can't seem to shut my brain off of thinking about this particular food. And I know it will continue until I have some. (I've tried the "tricks" to get rid of cravings before and they don't work for me - for instance, I'm sitting here sipping on cool water and am not even especially hungry, but I'm still thinking about it . . . )

I need to bust this! I pride myself on avoiding addiction to the socially frowned upon substances like alcohol (which I rarely have) and smoking (which I've NEVER EVER done nor will I ever do) . . . but somewhere along the way, despite digestive health issues that would be a deterrent for many . . . I've developed a food addiction. It needs to end so I can truly heal!

Has anyone successfully beaten a food addiction through lifestyle changes alone? What did you do? (And I'm not talking about just craving something sweet every once in a while either - I'm talking about real food addiction) Are there any good supplements or foods you know of for silencing that addictive voice in your head?

It does seem to bother me more when I've not been getting good sleep . . . so I know that's a good first step for me - trying to improve my sleep. (Which is hard in a hot room in the summer, but I'm trying) . . . I just ordered some l-glutamine and 5-HTP, since I've read that both of those can help with cravings, especially for carbs . . . . Anything else you can think of?

I hate that this makes me feel like I'm some weak willed slob - even though I know that's demonstrably untrue in every other area of my life.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Woke up this morning with a sore throat and ice pick ear (which I haven't had in a while). (Ice pick ear is one of my cranial neuralgias. They haven't flared in a while, but one makes it feel like my right ear is being stabbed with an ice pick and the other like my right temple is being stabbed with a knife). Almost certainly because of the crap I consumed on my binge.

Added Behcet's to the list of possibilities to discuss with my GI doctor later this month (it could explain the GI symptoms as well as my skin symptoms and headaches - including the fact that my attacks happened at the same time as my worst cystic acne break out in a long while). Also thinking I might ask my GP for a recommendation for a rheumatologist, for a second opinion possibly, since I'm thinking (unless the GI thinks it's definitely Crohn's or cancer, and therefore refers me to an oncologist) that what is going on is autoimmune related. Possibly even the early stages.

So my list of possible causes for my symptoms is:
    Crohn's
    UC or other colitis
    Lymphoma
    Ovarian cancer
    Intestinal TB
    Behcet's (which would mean ruling out lupus, MS and RA first)
    Celiac (still a possibility but very unlikely at this point)
    Other autoimmune disease

I think IBS is a label I'm trying to avoid because it could delay treatment for the actual problem until even more health issues come up. I feel like the doctors are looking, understandably, mostly at just the digestive symptoms and NOT at the whole system. But, if Dr. House and Mystery Diagnosis have taught me anything, it's that if you treat only the most obvious symptom(s) you're probably missing the real problem.

In any case, I'm starting the 21 Day Primal Challenge tomorrow! I had been planning on doing it starting this week anyway, but falling off the wagon so hard is added motivation.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Been going okay with my primal challenge but decided mid-week that once I'm done with the fruit currently in my fridge (planning on sometime this weekend) I'm going to start Atkin's Induction. I'm keeping in primal in terms of no industrial fats, pastured meat and SCD in terms of no starches (which you aren't supposed to have anyway on Atkins). I'm hoping that the reduction in my carbs (mostly from fruit at the moment) will help kick start my weight loss. Despite eating better and still having minimal if any digestive symptoms when eating primal/paleo I still haven't lost any weight in the 4 weeks since my procedure.

Weight is not my only marker of health any more, nor is weight loss my primary goal - but it is still a marker I'm concerned about and the absence of any weight loss tells me that I'm still inflamed and my metabolism is still broken. Now that my digestive issues seem to be mostly healed it's time to step it up in other areas - like making a greater effort to exercise (more than just walking to work at a leisurely pace 3-5 times a week) and the aforementioned Atkin's induction (but following SCD and paleo guidelines).

Even though I'm waiting until my fruit is gone to start on Atkins level carbs, I'm thinking I should start my heavier workouts this weekend while I've got some time off and not much house work to do. Still taking time to rest and relax with epsom salt baths and yoga though.

I'm also going to try, in conjunction with the Atkins, to front load my meals. I've never been much of a breakfast person, but I'm trying to flip flop that because I think that it relates to my metabolism and sleep issues, which in turn affect my overall health. Often I don't eat breakfast at all, eat a moderate lunch and a big dinner - I'm going to try and flip that so that I am having a breakfast as my biggest meal of the day, lunch still moderate and dinner small or not at all. It may take some force feeding for the first few days or even weeks, but I think it can become a habit. I'm also planning to pre-cook some of my breakfast items to make it easier, esp. during the induction phase. I'm thinking bacon, a deviled egg or two (with homemade MCT mayo), smoked salmon and a few macadamia nuts. Leftovers will also be a good option - who says you can't have a salad with chicken breast for breakfast?

My lunches will probably continue to be meat and lettuce wraps of some kind. With dinner being a small portion of meat and/or some broccoli with butter. Water with lemon to drink and supplementing with - CoQ10, FCLO, MCT oil, L-Glutamin, Biotin, Probiotics and Gelatin.

We'll see how it goes. My biggest worry is the carb flu. I've never had the carb flu before, but then I've never been under 20g carbs each day and I also have usually given in to temptation from low blood sugar before my body could truly make the switch to fat burning. So I am a bit worried about crashing mid-week - esp. since we have so much staff out and it would be hard to take off of work. But I think I just need to be diligent about relaxing in the evenings and getting plenty of sleep. I hope that will make it tolerable and I can push through the cravings and the carb flu and come out the other side within a week or two and start burning some serious fat while continuing to heal my gut.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Day one on my paleo Atkins induction. This is hard. I crossed the 20 g threshold because I had a half-drunk can of ginger ale from last night that I finished off this morning. Sodas are my vice, but at least ginger ale dilluted with ice is now my thing, instead of daily coca-cola . . . so I call that improvement . . . but even they are no go during my paleo Atkins challenge. On regular Atkins you are allowed to have diet sodas - but if I'm going to splurge on a soda, I want the real thing - not weird chemicals. Besides, I think it's better to just avoid them altogether until my weight loss is jump started again and only bring them back once a month for movie matinees at work. Or better yet, none at all, if I can stand it.

I need more fat and meat today since I'm at only 990 calories but don't want to eat any more carbs. I might just have to mainline some coconut oil. (aAnd by that I mean, swallow a spoonful whole) . . . It defeats the purpose, to me, if I'm not eating plenty of fat and protein to keep my body from going into full on fat burning mode, but instead go into starvation mode.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Ugh. Two urgent and 3 loose BMs today - with tenesmus. First time really I've had that since my scopes. Disheartening because, apart from the Ginger Ale, I ate really cleanly yesterday. Not sure if I had too much dairy (from yogurt and cheese) or if it's hormonal related. In any case it has not been a fun day. :/ Hope I can figure out what caused my flare up so that I can fix it back to the good BMs I've been having for most of the last few weeks.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

I'm quickly realizing that focusing too much on the "rules" of paleo makes me neurotic and stressed about food. I immediately think of what a failure I am as soon as I drink a Sprite or touch a slice of bread. That's not healthy - at least not for me. I think it's keeping me stuck. I do need to improve my relationship with food - but I don't think being so strict about the "rules" is the way to do. I am becoming a diet legalist, and I need not be.

I do need to eat gluten free - because it always causes GI symptoms for me. I do need to eat not so much lactose - a little is okay, but more than a serving or two and it causes symptoms too. I do need to focus more on nutrient density so that I'm not always eating because I'm malnourished. I do need to learn to listen to my hunger signals and not eat unless I'm truly hungry.

But I've got to stop worrying about enjoying a Sierra Mist now and again. (Don't shoot me - if me saying that makes you angry or want to argue with me - then you may be a food legalist too). I've got to stop worrying about every trace amount of gluten. I don't have celiac - I have a gluten allergy - it's a dose response thing - if a trace amount gets in my food it's not the end of the world . . . . I should just try to the best of my ability to avoid it and not be paranoid. I've got to stop worrying about enjoying a grain-free baked good. I've got to stop worrying about my carbs going over 50g or 100g or whatever standard I'm trying to live up to at the moment.

If I focus on nutrient density in my foods, eat only when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full I'll probably end up following a fairly low carb and mostly paleo diet anyway - but without the hangups. I'm not going to try another Whole 30 for just this reason - I can't do it - when I focus on following "rules" and what I can and cannot have it immediately make me crave things, begins addictive and shaming behaviors and makes my falls off the wagon harder and longer.

It's time for me to just eat the best foods I can and leave it at that. And if I have a Taco Bell crunchy taco once in a rare while - it's not the end of the world. I'll be eating homemade baked chicken thighs and a salad the next meal. And I'll still be stewing bone broth and avoiding gluten and industrial oils.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Starting another 21 Day Primal Challenge in a week and a half. This time doing it with the help of a prescription appetite suppressant. Hoping that the medicine will help make it easier to make good food choices because I won't be feeling (I hope) the cravings for junk foods that I usually do after a few days of strict paleo.

As before, I'm not concerned about following the strict rules so much - which is why I'm not trying a Whole 30 - just trying to focus on going through each day making the best food choices I can. If you want to join my friends and I the group is still available to join on Facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/504561269619821/) . . .

I got the 21 Day Challenge book though and I am going to use that as a guide and journal for my 21 day challenge - as well as daily check ins with the facebook group. Will be done just in time for Thanksgiving so I can enjoy crustless pumpkin pie and gluten free cornbread stuffing as part of my 20% guilt free as part of my primal lifestyle moving forward.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

That was a fail.

I hated the side effects of the medicine - mostly the dry mouth and dizziness - so I never filled the second script. Besides that, though it helped some with appetite suppression I still only lost 2 lbs. while on the medicine.

I started the new year focusing on mindful eating instead. Just making the effort to relax and clean out my cabinets (so I had to drive or walk somewhere if I wanted junk food) has really helped. Then I started focusing on nutrient density, especially getting enough protein, and trying to eat only real, whole foods. I wasn't perfect, but that's okay - it's not about perfection, it's about progress. Then I started working on moving more with our new health benefit system at work I was able to start taking a half hour walk at some point during my day 3 times a week. Now that I've been working on all of those things since Christmas got over, I feel I'm ready to move towards a LCHF primal diet again. I've been stepping down my carb intake over the past week and really started <100g daily in take yesterday (so that the first two days would be over the weekend). Tomorrow should be an easy day at work and then I get to sleep in on Tuesdays, which I think will help as well.

Then I get paid on Thursday and can go grocery shopping to re-stock on Friday when I have the day off. The weather should be nice so I can even go over the pass to the health food grocer to get some items my local chain store just doesn't carry. I didn't initially plan it this way, but it's worked out pretty perfectly in terms of timing and my schedule.

I know my biggest hurdles are still having social support and continuing to work on more mindful eating. I know how to eat. I know what to eat. I have the food available to me. I just need to have the internal and external support to keep making these good choices.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast