Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbal anxiolytics - any suggestions? page

Zanna is offline Senior Member

Herbal anxiolytics - any suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone have advice on what kinds of herbal anxiolytics are good and why? Any practical experience would be appreciated. I've been trying to maintain during some ongoing misery that is making my anxiety a problem to deal with, but I'm ready to try something that helps. Thanks for any suggestions!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    L-Tyrosine is an amino acid, not an herb, but it's worked well to help manage my daily/generalized anxiety. 5-HTP can help with anxiety, as well as depression and/or sleep issues.

I'm trying eleuthero root extract, which is an adaptogen. Don't really know how those work, but I feel like I have been happier, calmer, but also had more energy lately since taking it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Niacin and shit tons of it...

or if you dont mind the weight gain, cashews, 1/2 pound daily (YMMV)

first words out of Her mouth ( and note i taught her about niacin) if i am "in a mood"

go take your niacin.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I've used valerian root and that worked very well.

Also, as namelesswonder said, eleuthero root (siberian ginseng) may work. I've been giving that to my daughter along with vitex and dong quai to relieve her anxiety and stress. She seems to be getting a lot more 'even' moods since taking them.

You can all of these in capsule form.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    ^Just a note, because you didn't mention otherwise, Vitex and dong quai affect hormone levels, specifically progesterone. If your daughter (age unknown) is not diagnosed with hormonal imbalance, it may not be a great idea to supplement those blindly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Valerian Root worked for me for a while, and then apparently I adapted to it and it had no more effect. 5-HTP has worked well for extended periods.

6 Tea Ingredients That Can Help You Unwind, Relax and Chill Out | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 07-08-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I walked down to the store and they had (on an unrelated note) oregano oil, holy basil leaf and ashwagandha on sale so I picked them up along with Valerian root oil. I've used the valerian root before, to try and fall asleep easier, but it didn't do much. I'm thinking maybe I need to take some throughout the day to be effective.

LBee is offline Junior Member
    Have you tried Natural Calm? It's magnesium, check out some of the Amazon reviews. It's helped me during periods of anxiety (like right now, actually).
    Anxiety is no fun, sorry you're struggling.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    ^Just a note, because you didn't mention otherwise, Vitex and dong quai affect hormone levels, specifically progesterone. If your daughter (age unknown) is not diagnosed with hormonal imbalance, it may not be a great idea to supplement those blindly.
    I guess I should have mentioned that she is taking them for hormanal balance . Did tons of research before going there (you should see my home library for herbal & homeopathic O_O). Dr. just said that they would put her on BC pills but I wasn't going down that road. She's had wonderful results and I've been monitoring closely for any adverse reactions.

Sunny_Sometimes is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you're interested in trying a homeopathic remedy and have access to Boiron products, I've had really good luck with Ignatia Amara.

I hope one of these suggestions does the trick for you. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast