Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbal anxiolytics - any suggestions? page 2

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I walked down to the store and they had (on an unrelated note) oregano oil, holy basil leaf and ashwagandha on sale so I picked them up along with Valerian root oil. I've used the valerian root before, to try and fall asleep easier, but it didn't do much. I'm thinking maybe I need to take some throughout the day to be effective.
    If you are going to be taking these sedatives during the day, you need to not be driving. I have used Valerian tea. I'm not a fan of taking herbs in huge quantities as pills, and note that asnwavandha is a nightshade that can have concerning side-effects.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned that she is taking them for hormanal balance . Did tons of research before going there (you should see my home library for herbal & homeopathic O_O). Dr. just said that they would put her on BC pills but I wasn't going down that road. She's had wonderful results and I've been monitoring closely for any adverse reactions.
    Awesome! I am taking Vitex for my own hormonal imbalance (low progesterone) and it definitely helps a lot. I guess because of my age & the people I'm usually around, I see "daughter" and think "under 18", which automatically makes me worry about development etc.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sharon is offline Member
    i would start from the base and make your body a bit stronger so it can cope better, nourish it and strenghten the adrenals.
    nettle and oatstraw infusion are great for that. i drink these on a weekly basis and more if i feel i can use it. they're quite strong in taste, especially the nettle. you have to figure out a way you like to have them best. for me it's chilled, 1pt infusion, 1pt apple juice, 2pt water and some lemon juice. very refreshing too.
    (you can find loads of information on these if you do a search for herbal infusions Susun Weed)
    there's plenty of herbs that are quite soothing and helpful
    to relax and soften the nerves: chamomile, lemon balm, linden, vervain, orange blossom, and lavender for example.
    they all taste lovely and you can drink as much tea of them as you like. (just make sure you let it infuse for about 10mins) if you buy them in bulk you can make a blend according to your taste. i drink at least a big cup of a blend or a single herb of these daily, usually in the afternoon. like an hour or so before bed i do a big cup of a blend or a single herb of these: passion flower, catnip, skullcap, valerian, hops or California poppy. ( better not do hops if your on anti-depressants.) these are a bit stronger and more sleep inducing. you definitely don't have to do them all. pick a few, try their taste and see if you like them.
    don't expect miracles immediately, give your body some time, make a daily habit of it)
    for more acute situations you could try oats tincture and for insomnia skullcap tincture.
    have you tried breathing exercises? there's great apps to help you doing these. don't wait 'till you feel terribly anxious but do like 2 times 5 minutes a day every day and it will be massively helpful.
    make sure you get a lot of vitB foods, cut down on caffeine and alcohol if you do these.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    If you are going to be taking these sedatives during the day, you need to not be driving. I have used Valerian tea. I'm not a fan of taking herbs in huge quantities as pills, and note that asnwavandha is a nightshade that can have concerning side-effects.
    Thanks for the advice. The valerian is the only thing that is supposed to have a sedative affect and honestly it just never has. It's one of the reasons I came looking for other opinions. It's supposed to promote calmness but hasn't really been that effective when I've tried it at night. If I see any wooziness during the day, I'll stop. I've never had an issue with night shades but will keep an eye out for that too.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    i would start from the base and make your body a bit stronger so it can cope better, nourish it and strenghten the adrenals.
    nettle and oatstraw infusion are great for that. i drink these on a weekly basis and more if i feel i can use it. they're quite strong in taste, especially the nettle. you have to figure out a way you like to have them best. for me it's chilled, 1pt infusion, 1pt apple juice, 2pt water and some lemon juice. very refreshing too.
    (you can find loads of information on these if you do a search for herbal infusions Susun Weed)
    there's plenty of herbs that are quite soothing and helpful
    to relax and soften the nerves: chamomile, lemon balm, linden, vervain, orange blossom, and lavender for example.
    they all taste lovely and you can drink as much tea of them as you like. (just make sure you let it infuse for about 10mins) if you buy them in bulk you can make a blend according to your taste. i drink at least a big cup of a blend or a single herb of these daily, usually in the afternoon. like an hour or so before bed i do a big cup of a blend or a single herb of these: passion flower, catnip, skullcap, valerian, hops or California poppy. ( better not do hops if your on anti-depressants.) these are a bit stronger and more sleep inducing. you definitely don't have to do them all. pick a few, try their taste and see if you like them.
    don't expect miracles immediately, give your body some time, make a daily habit of it)
    for more acute situations you could try oats tincture and for insomnia skullcap tincture.
    have you tried breathing exercises? there's great apps to help you doing these. don't wait 'till you feel terribly anxious but do like 2 times 5 minutes a day every day and it will be massively helpful.
    make sure you get a lot of vitB foods, cut down on caffeine and alcohol if you do these.
    Thank you! My body is pretty strong and I eat well and exercise a lot. The anxiety has been there on a low level, related to having sleep issues for a long time but has ramped up lately due to some personal stressors. I always try to fix the physical well-being issues as a front line defense first -exercise and diet mean everything, but haven't been enough lately. I really need to just fix the situational problems leading to the extra stress, and am doing that but the process has been challenging. I do yoga and use breathing exercises daily to settle down my heart rate and calm things down. And don't take anti-depressants, so I'm not worried about contraindications there.

I've never tried nettles and oatstraw - I'm going to stick with the things I just bought for a few weeks and try to gauge impact, if any, before adding other things so I stand a decent chance of seeing what works or doesn't.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The valerian is the only thing that is supposed to have a sedative affect and honestly it just never has. It's one of the reasons I came looking for other opinions. It's supposed to promote calmness but hasn't really been that effective when I've tried it at night. If I see any wooziness during the day, I'll stop. I've never had an issue with night shades but will keep an eye out for that too.
    The asnwavandha does as well, and it compounds with the Valerian. Please take the time time to learn about these products before you take them, and take them at home before attempting the DUI at the very least. WebMD and the Mayo Clinic both have very reputable websites to get information.

ETA: I guess I'm just thinking about other people with the DUI. There is also you: these herbal drugs have various side effects and contraindications that are important for you. Really, don't take anything without reading the available information first. We don't have your full medical information so we can't give you the information about these drugs that you need because we don't know what info you need.
    Last edited by loafingcactus; 07-09-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12