Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping with (opinionated!) vegetarians page

ksagle is offline Member

Question Camping with (opinionated!) vegetarians

Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to the primal lifestyle still (about 2 months in!) but LOVING it. I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about how to eat Paleo while on road trips with my fast food loving boss, (for those of you who were in on the conversation, you'll be happy to know I survived, despite the fact that she went through the McDonalds drive through 6 out of 7 days we were there. One day she went twice.) and now I'm about to face another challenge! I'm going camping this weekend with some friends who happen to be vegetarians/vegans, and very opinionated vegetarians at that!

Personally, I don't have an issue with anyone eating whatever it is they feel is best for them. Doesn't matter to me - to each their own! But then the talk began about who is going to bring what, grocery-wise. One will bring the "fake lunch meat and bread" for sandwiches, one will bring the cereal, one will bring the pancake mix and one will bring the veggie burgers and corn. What am I going to bring they ask? Umm... bacon... sausage... eggs? At least the fruit and veggies we can agree on..

So my question here has 2 parts. First of all, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for food ideas - I will have a camp fire as well as a little grill to go on it, as well as a cooler and access to water. Clearly I'll be cooking my own meals separately from the rest so recipes for 1 person and things that won't cost a ton of money and take up a ton of space would be great. I'll be there for about 4 days.

Secondly, while I'm fine with everyone eating whatever they want to eat, unfortunately some of my fellow campers don't share this opinion and seem to be personally insulted about my choice to follow more of a Primal lifestyle. I was just wondering if anyone can direct me to some excellent articles / posts / threads that I can read up on more to prepare myself for the oncoming barrage of questions and opinions that I will certainly face.

Zach is offline Banned
    Eat nothing but bacon and fry it up all day long. They wont be vegetarians for long.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Don't go camping with vegetarians. You might end up having to eat them, and their omega 6: omega 3 ratios are unsatisfactory. Or worse, you might not have to eat them, in which case you will have to engage them in conversation without the convenient diversion of cable television.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    For the second question ... I think I would just simply say "I don't criticize how you eat" and/or "You eat what you want, I'll eat what I want" and just end the discussion there, and maybe try to change the subject to something else. Maybe you're okay with having debates about it, but I don't feel a fully-functional adult needs to justify to anyone how they choose to live. And, ideally, if you just don't indulge their criticism, they'll get tired of it and give up.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Seriously, tell them to STFU. Clearly you enjoy their company outside of their dietary preferences, so there is no reason for you all to discuss those choices while camping.

I googled "camping paleo" and got a lot of results.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    What could be more paleo than meat and fire? Easy. Bring some fruit and canned fish. If you want to get more elaborate precook some sweet potatoes in their skins, warm them on the grill. Hard boil some eggs in advance. Bring peppers and summer squash to roast. IMO bacon would be a hassle.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Zach is offline Banned
    Potatoes, carrots and onions are the easiest thing to cook on a grill. Cut em up small, throw them in ton foil with a bunch of butter and seasoning and toss em on the grill till done. Lots of meat in the evening and eggs and bacon for breakfast. Bring dried frut/trail mix for snacking and coffee for morning, whiskey for the evening.

This is exactly what my camp trip food looks like except there is usually pancakes for breakfast as well.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I just got done camping for 5 days and ate totally paleo the whole time. Except for the whiskey, of course.

I just pulled a bunch of meat out of the freezer, put veggies in plastic bags, and brought some eggs, avocados, and canned fish. Easy.

You're an adult; don't give a crap what they think of your food choices. The day I start worrying about what a vegan thinks of me is the day they push my body out on a flaming Viking boat.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    For the second question ... I think I would just simply say "I don't criticize how you eat" and/or "You eat what you want, I'll eat what I want" and just end the discussion there, and maybe try to change the subject to something else. Maybe you're okay with having debates about it, but I don't feel a fully-functional adult needs to justify to anyone how they choose to live. And, ideally, if you just don't indulge their criticism, they'll get tired of it and give up.
    Yeah, that

MudLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dinty Moore beef stew. It's not entirely primal, but it is close. Open the can and remove the paper label. Put the can in the edge of the fire and stir every once in a while. Eat it straight from the can.

I suppose you could bring a cooler full of steaks and turkey legs, but I also suppose you like these people and don't want to alienate them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast