Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Camping with (opinionated!) vegetarians page 4

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Friends are fucking important and bring happiness into your life. I can't see any situation where I'd blow off friends just because they eat differently or have other viewpoints than myself.
    ^ I spent years as an opinionated vegetarian with meat eating friends. Did we debate, yup. But in the scheme of things, it was good-hearted discourse. Are some people really edgy about their diets? Yup. There probably will be an asshole who won't let it go. LOL, his (or her) vegetarian friends are probably mortified by him. And make sure you aren't an asshole. I always found it rude when meateaters called my lunch gross. Yeah, veggie burgers are gross but at the time, I liked them. So...let everyone enjoy their food. and have fun.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    Picture the scene! So you're all sitting around the campfire at dusk discussing he merits of vegetarianism when along comes a deer, a herbivore, perhaps wondering if the vegans might share a morsel or two.

In an instant you whip out your riffle, bang!!, great shot to the head. Clean kill no messy stuff.

In seconds, with no time to lose you're there with your knife chopping off the head. Skinning the magnificent beast with dexterity and skill. Cutting and carving your way through your favourite cuts to freeze later of course.

With the swagger of an experienced hunter you casually return to the campfire with a large, still steaming, and blood dripping liver. Toss it in the frying pan with some onion and cook for two minutes on each side by the way.

Refill your whiskey glass while turning to your fellow campers and apologetically announcing, " sorry about that, what were you saying?"

FTM

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethorn View Post
    You guys are idiots.

This is his friends
    If they were really his friends, he wouldn't be worried about them judging him. I have some "friends" who I camp with every year, and there's a vegetarian or two among the group. I think they look forward to my ribbing and banter the first weekend of every June. At least the rest of the group does, because it's fun and hilarious to call them out.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I'd probably take some fruit and nuts plus dried meats - maybe make some beef jerky. It makes camping so much easier, especially if you're surrounded by vegetarians. Although I will admit, cooking bacon over a fire is one of life's greatest pleasures.....

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is physical performance. I'll bet they can't help but notice when you run rings around them on the trail or in camp (getting firewood, etc.) on less food.

At that point you can start discussing nutrion density.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I once dated a vegetarian, so I understand the issue....what I have found though is this, as a commonality:

It is a little bit like politics, to me. I have found that at a certain point a hard right-winger BECOMES very close to a hard left-winger at some of the major things they want changed. They may have very different reasons as to why they want them different, but at heart they both hate the status quo. I have friends from both sides of this, and I have found they actually get along really well. (I live on the border of NH and VT. One is "live free or die", the other are tough as roofing nails leftists that think artificial lighting and televsions are a corporate attack on mankind. Ahaha)

The same is true for paleo vs vegetarians, to me.

What I say to a vegetarian all the time, like I reasoned to my old gf, was that to me the TRUE enemy was the commoditization of food. By that I mean this huge hegemonic apparatus that treats animals as objects, crops as a futures market, and demands heavy processing of foods to boost their value....a cucumber cannot be milled or cooked or broken down into a million other processed monsters like corn can. It is what it is. In this sense, eating non-processed food is a statement against the system that paleo and vegetarians have in common.

I always turn the table a little bit by explaining that I have respect for true vegetarians, but a lot of them are actually "breadatarians" that eat a ton of processed garbage spit out by the commodity crops and borderline criminal seed companies. I think that claiming to be "better" because someone doesn't eat meat, while supporting a commodity system that plows down anything from a savannah to a rainforest to plant their commodity crops, is an indefensible position. Grow your own food or buy it from a human being that does so. Same goes for meat or eggs. Corporations do not care if you are weak or sick or dead for that matter. It is about having a relationship to food....THAT is what I would say is the most "primal" thing someone can do. Humans were meant to either hunt or cultivate their own food, or to be in connected relationships with those who did it for them. That is truly primal living to me, one of the biggest tenants.

When you take it to that level, primal and vegetarian can see a lot more common ground.

The difference is, when I see a rabbit in my vegetable garden, I am seeing TWO parts of my dinner and not just one

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ethorn View Post
    Meat is fucking important and bring happiness into your life.
    Totally.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I make a beef stew then run it through the dehydrator toss it in premeasured baggies and pack. and jerky lots of jerky.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

ksagle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I once dated a vegetarian, so I understand the issue....what I have found though is this, as a commonality:

It is a little bit like politics, to me. I have found that at a certain point a hard right-winger BECOMES very close to a hard left-winger at some of the major things they want changed. They may have very different reasons as to why they want them different, but at heart they both hate the status quo. I have friends from both sides of this, and I have found they actually get along really well. (I live on the border of NH and VT. One is "live free or die", the other are tough as roofing nails leftists that think artificial lighting and televsions are a corporate attack on mankind. Ahaha)

The same is true for paleo vs vegetarians, to me.

What I say to a vegetarian all the time, like I reasoned to my old gf, was that to me the TRUE enemy was the commoditization of food. By that I mean this huge hegemonic apparatus that treats animals as objects, crops as a futures market, and demands heavy processing of foods to boost their value....a cucumber cannot be milled or cooked or broken down into a million other processed monsters like corn can. It is what it is. In this sense, eating non-processed food is a statement against the system that paleo and vegetarians have in common.

I always turn the table a little bit by explaining that I have respect for true vegetarians, but a lot of them are actually "breadatarians" that eat a ton of processed garbage spit out by the commodity crops and borderline criminal seed companies. I think that claiming to be "better" because someone doesn't eat meat, while supporting a commodity system that plows down anything from a savannah to a rainforest to plant their commodity crops, is an indefensible position. Grow your own food or buy it from a human being that does so. Same goes for meat or eggs. Corporations do not care if you are weak or sick or dead for that matter. It is about having a relationship to food....THAT is what I would say is the most "primal" thing someone can do. Humans were meant to either hunt or cultivate their own food, or to be in connected relationships with those who did it for them. That is truly primal living to me, one of the biggest tenants.

When you take it to that level, primal and vegetarian can see a lot more common ground.

The difference is, when I see a rabbit in my vegetable garden, I am seeing TWO parts of my dinner and not just one

That's a great way of putting things. As some have mentioned, I think most likely I just need to be prepared for a good-natured debate. The way you worded this is fantastic.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    I know, I know! But they're old friends and this is kind of an annual tradition.. they're kind of like family.
    Well, then, nothing to do but give as good as you get! If they're going to dish it out, they shouldn't have a problem taking it, too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast