Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camping with (opinionated!) vegetarians page 3

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just get better friends to go camping with. Seriously.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Id just tell them if they give me any flack about my food im going to spit chewed up bacon in their mouth while there sleeping.......
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Id just tell them if they give me any flack about my food im going to spit chewed up bacon in their mouth while there sleeping.......
    You're bluffin'.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    You're bluffin'.
    Only one way to find out....... Oh and im not gonna bother cooking said bacon first.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    I love this idea! Might give it more flavor than frozen kabobs. Would you cook the meat before hand or just bring it raw and cook it there?? Chicken makes me a little nervous.
    What is your cold storage situation? If you have good coolers, I wouldn't worry, though you could always have the chicken the first day, if it makes you nervous. You could also freeze the chicken chunks, just assembling the packets right before you leave, for maximum holding power.

I have never done it with cooked meat, only raw. But I guess it would work. A neat thing about it, is that all the juices stay there, for slurping, instead of dripping into the fire.

And I like having all the prep work DONE!

neilyus is offline Junior Member
    If they are old friends, I can understand not wanting to tell them to STFU. its not an easy situation, especially if you're supportive of them and they don't reciprocate.
    I work with a 'vegan', and he will quote China Study as well as a whole load of other things which I really have no interest in.
    What I do is talk about the similarities, of which there are a few. I find real vegans eat tonnes of fruit, veg, and rice rather than fake meat etc. So this you can share on and how its better than an average persons diet who eats cakes and McDonald's.
    Once you've done that you move the conversation on or otherwise you'll be the one feeling hurt when the vegans gang up.

mike is offline Senior Member
    It might be an interesting experiment to see if you can get enough fat and calories just from vegetable sources for a few days. How many coconuts per day would that be? Better bring some bacon just in case...

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Just don't be apologetic in any way for your choice of food. The few preachy vegetarians or vegans I know seem to sense when a person feels insecure about eating meat and will really push.

If things get ugly, remind them that 1000's of animals are killed during the growing, processing, and storing of wheat, corn, or soy. At least you only kill one happy, organic, grass-fed cow every few months
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    What is your cold storage situation? If you have good coolers, I wouldn't worry, though you could always have the chicken the first day, if it makes you nervous. You could also freeze the chicken chunks, just assembling the packets right before you leave, for maximum holding power.

And I like having all the prep work DONE!

You can make stew/curry type things and freeze them in containers, then you just need to pop them in a pot over the fire. Will keep in a sealed esky (cooler) in the shade for at least a couple of days without actual refrigeration.

As far as debates go, the suffering animal argument is the one I find most compelling; I suggest being careful to take only meat that is ethically produced (free-range etc), and that argument goes away.

Another argument against meat is environmental; on which note I recommend watching this; Allan Savory: How to green the world's deserts and reverse climate change - YouTube

ethorn is offline Junior Member
    You guys are idiots.

This is his friends. Friends are fucking important and bring happiness into your life. I can't see any situation where I'd blow off friends just because they eat differently or have other viewpoints than myself. Don't you people value friendships? There are other things to people than what they eat. But looking at the re

Vegetarians get judged as much as paleo's. Just look at most of the replies in this thread. Not everything is about being the healthiest human possible. And discarding other people because they don't think the same is silly.

Love and be loved. Eat what you want and go there to have a good time with friends. If they ask about what you eat, be prepared to talk about it, or just let them know you don't feel like talking about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast