Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping with (opinionated!) vegetarians page 2

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Why do people have such a big problem with telling people to mind their own damn business?

I would only tolerate complaints about my eating habits if I were a cannibal. And I still wouldn't care.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

ksagle is offline Member
    All valid points. So far, I like the idea of cooking bacon all day long...

No, I don't particularly have a problem with just telling them to shut up and mind their business. However, I'm looking for some good reading material about the Primal lifestyle so that I can continue to educate myself more, as well as to be ready should the opportunity arise for an actual discussion about the Primal lifestyle. I know there's a TON of info on this site - it's overwhelming! Just looking for good places to start learning more.

As far as food goes, I've been googling recipes this morning and I'm thinking of making a bunch of kabobs just before leaving and freezing them. I figure I can make some chicken ones, some steak ones and some veggie ones and they won't take much time to cook and won't make much of a mess! That way they can all cook their own stuff and I don't need to use like 3 pans just to make dinner for myself. Eggs and bacon for breakfast is a must though.. With that plus some fruit, veggies, homemade granola... maybe a salad in a jar! I should be in decent shape.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget coffee- maybe that can be something you share- go get a french press. LOL, don't forget the butter and coconut oil.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You can also do foil packets:
    Get a square of foil, toss on some cut up meat and vegetables, and fat/oil and seasonings, fold up like an envelope and seal. When ready to cook, take them out of your cooler and throw them on the grill for 20 minutes. Yum.

This also gives you little in the way of containers to pack out.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Veggies get judged just as much as they judge! Just respect their choices, and don't make a big deal of it.

Failing that, if they start preaching about the China study...

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ksagle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    You can also do foil packets:
    Get a square of foil, toss on some cut up meat and vegetables, and fat/oil and seasonings, fold up like an envelope and seal. When ready to cook, take them out of your cooler and throw them on the grill for 20 minutes. Yum.

This also gives you little in the way of containers to pack out.
    I love this idea! Might give it more flavor than frozen kabobs. Would you cook the meat before hand or just bring it raw and cook it there?? Chicken makes me a little nervous.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    Secondly, while I'm fine with everyone eating whatever they want to eat, unfortunately some of my fellow campers don't share this opinion and seem to be personally insulted about my choice to follow more of a Primal lifestyle.
    Why would you do this? Tell 'em that hanging out with a bunch of intolerant idealogues is not your idea of a good time, and go do something else.

ksagle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Why would you do this? Tell 'em that hanging out with a bunch of intolerant idealogues is not your idea of a good time, and go do something else.
    I know, I know! But they're old friends and this is kind of an annual tradition.. they're kind of like family.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksagle View Post
    I know, I know! But they're old friends and this is kind of an annual tradition.. they're kind of like family.
    Then you should DEFINITELY feel free to tell them to bugger off with their opinions.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I would tell them in advance before you go that you are not a vegetarian and that you will not put up with any criticism of your food.

Alternatively, if some of them are vegetarian (not vegan) perhaps you could go vegetarian for the trip as a compromise so you don't have to deal with it. Bring lots of cheese, eggs and dairy stuff. I highly doubt that a weekend of lentils and quinoa will kill you either.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast