Thread: Pregnenolone page

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member

Pregnenolone

Shop Now
    /discuss

here's my thought's:

My mother recently went down hill big time with Parkinson's, it was basically induced from a very stressful year in her life, Do any of you progressive thinkers on this board think this "grandmother of all hormones" could help her correct brain function etc.
    Last edited by dilberryhoundog; 07-08-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    very specific inquiry.

I would suggest that ketone bodies would be a better avenue for Parkinsons than Pregnenolone, however getting to nutritional Ketosis would alter hormone panels so it may be chicken egg.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Yeah I was just hoping to hear from people whom had tried supplementing it or whom know a good deal about it. From the little bit I've researched it sounds like it could help her, so I wanted to find out as much as I could.

In Australia pregnenolone is prescription only. There is just nuthin down here about the substance. I would say 9 out of 10 Aussie doctors would give a blank stare when asked about it.

Luckily my mother has a progressive Parkinson's doctor willing to try things, so hopefully if I can come up with some info, her doctor can look into it and write a script for her.

Ketosis is far from the answer for her. I have tried suggesting it to her before, she finds it difficult to do properly without a months worth of blog reading. It is difficult to get into and monitor and easy to snap out of. She is poor and a week with an unseen cost means a week with a poor diet for her, despite my protestations. Also the metabolic stress needed to induce ketosis is probably to much for her at 60 to handle.

I was hoping supplementing pregnenolone would mean popping a few pills in a week and sitting by seeing if it makes a difference. Instead of significant upheaval of her (already fairly decent) dietary habits just to hope something works. Parkinson's is a stress handling disease I can't really do anything that causes more stress.

Sent from my iPhone

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Pregnenolone helps, as it triggers NMDA channels, the channels that are necessary for memory and learning to occur. It does this through a mechanism that is independent of glutamate, the main cause of neuro-degenerative diseases is via excessive excitation through glutamate. Alzheimer's patients usually have very low levels of pregnenolone, and it declines with age anyway.

I can fetch you a lot of studies and links, but they mostly say the same thing. It's certainly worth a try.

Sorry to hear about your mother.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Pregnenolone helps, as it triggers NMDA channels, the channels that are necessary for memory and learning to occur. It does this through a mechanism that is independent of glutamate, the main cause of neuro-degenerative diseases is via excessive excitation through glutamate. Alzheimer's patients usually have very low levels of pregnenolone, and it declines with age anyway.

I can fetch you a lot of studies and links, but they mostly say the same thing. It's certainly worth a try.

Sorry to hear about your mother.
    Thanks for that derp.

Sent from my iPhone

Brodon is offline Junior Member
    Yes! I was hoping supplementing pregnenolone would mean popping a few pills in a week and sitting by seeing if it makes a difference. Instead of significant upheaval of her (already fairly decent) dietary habits just to hope something works. Parkinson's is a stress handling disease I can't really do anything that causes more stress........