Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra runner-no energy, struggle to run now page

Saucony1 is offline Junior Member

Ultra runner-no energy, struggle to run now

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello~ I am new to this forum as well as paleo eating. Started paleo in mid June, was off it for 1 week, now back!! Big major prob.. Can't run without stoping every 3/4 mile to walk then start back up. Legs just feel weak I am not a fast runner but to just go do 15 miles was easy now it's a major struggle and I have an ultra marathon coming up. Am I lacking somthing with paleo. Got the books and even paleo for athlete book but I feel weak n nausea all the time. Restless leg has gotten really bad the past week as to where I can hardly sleep also. I drink tons of wAter n of course use the bathroom allll the time. I luv this approach to eating but I needs some good advice on how to feel like myself again

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,

I bet you decreased your carb intake due to the absence of grains and legumes.
    If that is what you want by going paleo, you will have to let your body adapt to your new (smaller) carb load. Otherwise, you will bonk seriously. When your metabolism is adapted to a lower carb amount for the same amount of workout you were used to pre-paleo, you can say that you are past the transition. Not before though and the first 4 to 6 weeks, I woudl certainly take it easy if I were you. The alternative is that you switch to 100% primal / paleo AFTER your next competition.

Note that you have to increase your sodium consumption in the case you go much lower carb than before. Drinking a lot during this phase may be due to more water being flushed out, which also depletes you of sodium rather fast (typical low carb transition).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You didn't mention what you eat, and there's a huge variation in what specific diets work for different people. I'm just going to guess that you are eating very low carb.

Stop it.

Eat carbs, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, other starchy vegetables, and white rice.

Also, there is no need to drink massive amounts of water. Drink when you're thirsty. You can drink extra when you are working out in the hot sun. But under normal conditions, you do not need to force yourself to drink tons of water. Doing so can lead to an electrolyte imbalance. There is basically no science even behind the standard recommendation of 64oz of water a day, and certainly none behind what we hear so often, "the more water the better".

Gee, James. You beat me to it.

Thank you so much for responding. What I have read on the athlete approach is how wonderful they feel n their running is so much better. Me, I feel as I am sucking more n more lol. I was wondering about loss of sodium or to low sodium in my case. I will def stop w the excess drinking of water starting NOW! My running is just so much part of me and this feeling of hitting the wall nonstop with any distance I am doing right now is just frustrating and so not me. I will breath easier knowing my body just needs more time to adjust. Yes, no grains/ legume/dairy has been harder on me than what I expected ugh!!

Katherine~thank u also for responding! Excess water consumption has stopped as of now lol! No grains/legume/ dairy. Good protein/ fats/carbs and not that I want to be 100% paleo ( I want to enjoy a few meals going out) but maybe I started to strict with it and it has affected me big time. I hate this feeling I'm in now but I will have some sweet potatoes today n get my carbs up alittle more. I want to stay with this way of eating but didnt expect this past week for it to physical drain me of everything! Thanks again for your advice love any help I can get.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Tis merely the adaption phase.. I was lucky in the fact that I was injured, and so I used that time to adapt to a primal diet before re-training again. I know exactly what you mean! In the beginning I found 45 min runs difficult, and hills were hell. Now, I run 10+ miles up has many hills as possible 4-5 days in the week, with a 4 hour minimum venture on the weekend. Being adapted in this way means you can take less food, no food, or start fasted. I look at energy gels and laugh at their futility! When I do run long, I take 2 primal energy bars (Primal redux:Making a better bar or something) and that can last me about 5 hours.

Jenry~ Thank you! I'm glad to hear other people's misery haha. So good to know it will get better eventually! I picked a crappy time to go healthy ugh! I didn't expect the adaption phase to effect me this bad tho! I am hoping for sleep tonight. I have let myself have pretty much whatever today n watch the extra water intake and get back to better basic on eatting tomorrow with more carbs thru out the day n obviously more sodium. This adjustment better hurry up and adjust its self lol

When it does, you'll wonder why you never did it sooner. Also, there is a supplement called 'VESPA' which is extracted from a Japanese/Chinese (dunno which) hornet, which are capable of incredibly (relatively) long journies without food. It's main objective is to release fatty acids from stores so that more is available for energy when used as part of a high fat diet.. I would use it, but it's apparently a bit expensive, and I can't seem to justify using it :P

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Try raw liver an hour before you run.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Try raw liver an hour before you run.
    Now THAT is primal..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast