Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultra runner-no energy, struggle to run now page 3

Saucony1 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    update on me
    I spent yesterday drinking Gatorade along with a glass of salt water n pretty much ate what I wanted. I slept 7 hrs last night which I haven't been getting more than 3-4 and the last bad night zilch! My legs had no sign of restless leg. I can not believe how low I was on sodium and why it didnt click with me. I ran 5 this morning with no sick feeling so that was awesome~ still can feel my body has not made the switch yet cuz I was struggling some what. I am not giving up on paleo but realize I don't have to be so strick on myself and I don't have to go strickly by the book. I just hope this struggle pass soon!!! I struggle enuff as is lol

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Raw liver actually tastes kind of like milk. Nothing like cooked liver. You can also chop into small pieces and just swallow them like pills, they will digest fine. Freeze the liver for a few weeks first to kill any parasites.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucony1 View Post
    BenP~ I would tell you if I knew!

The reason I ask (and this is my understanding of how it all works) - if you're running/exercising in say Z2 HR (about 120-140bpm) or lower then your body uses fat as the main fuel. So this is the ideal area to be in for the low intensity work that Mark Sisson suggests, and also people like Maffetone. So this is the area you want to be in really particularly if you've cut out carbs from your diet and mainly have fat resources as fuel. When you first try to do it you'll be annoyed at how slow it is, but eventually your aerobic system, mitochondria etc builds and you'll make really progress while using fat as fuel.

If you're running/exercising at say 160bpm then this is in zone 3 (this is also in the chronic cardio area mentioned on here) and this mainly uses glycogen as energy and much less fat, and this comes from your carbohydrate stores (which are limited). So if you're training in that area and have cut down your carbs then you'll bonk pretty quickly on each run.

Since you have an event coming up (?) then probably best to go back to a diet similar to the normal for you and your normal running, but after that I would recommend getting a HRM and running at a target HR (and try not to get bored as it will be slow) and also cut down the carbs. It'll be a period of adjustment to start with and then you should see real gains. Also running at that low HR means you'll put less stress on your system so able to train more often and without any long term affects.

If the low HR running is really boring you could try cycling at the same HR as an alternative work out.

Hope that helps

Ben

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Raw liver actually tastes kind of like milk. Nothing like cooked liver. You can also chop into small pieces and just swallow them like pills, they will digest fine. Freeze the liver for a few weeks first to kill any parasites.
    I think for dinner tomorrow, Knifegill, I won't cook you anything. You can just slurp down some raw liver instead . I better go thaw it...

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    K. I'm in the mood. I'll slurp it down and hop on my bicycle. Cross my fingers and pray I don't get a cramp!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    No, no, you've got it all wrong. You slurp it down and then go stack firewood! Isn't that much more fun?

I believe Liver just got banned from the state of Indiana!!! Lol

Ben~ good info thank you! Im slow n don't mind but it would be interesting to know. I would prob have to borrow one, would prob get a better reading on the road than on a trail run. Of course either way it would prob just beep at me and say speed up this is ridiculous lol

nov26_2 is offline Member
    This is exactly what I am experiencing so I am glad you started the post. I have just switched to Paleo about 10 days ago after 15 years as a vegetarian with lots of carb consumption. The day before the diet switch, easy run of 7 miles at 7:30 or so pace. Yesterday, struggled to cover 3 miles at 8 something. So, I can expect this to change as I get used to a lower carb diet and somehow learn to burn more fat. Any average on how long that switch might take?

Jenry Hennings is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nov26_2 View Post
    Any average on how long that switch might take?
    Took me about 2-3 weeks, but it can vary.. I'd imagine if you really push hard i.e. fasted runs as hard as possible, strict carb intake etc. then, whilst painful, it shouldn't be too long for appropriate adaptions
    Be wary of fluids since when i started i drank more than a fish. 'The art and science of low carb performance' by phinney and volek is cited as a good source of info

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast