Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultra runner-no energy, struggle to run now page 2

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I recently completed the trail marathon in Wales and have been paleo for about a year. High quality food and roasted sweet potato wedges covered in salt works wonders but the fat adaptation phase is tough. Your mitochondria adapt to burn fats after a few months which is why people feel sh1t for a while. If you are worried why not mix your training with alternate higher carb and lower carb weeks? Be sure to keep electrolytes up as potassium and sodium levels can get low. In the uk you can buy stuff called lo-salt which is a good mix of sodium and potassium salts. (I didn't get this bit right on my marathon and had some amazing cramps a couple of miles from the end)
    We can all benefit from metabolic flexibility and it is really good for you to keep your body guessing when it comes to fuel.

BenP is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucony1 View Post
    Hello~ I am new to this forum as well as paleo eating. Started paleo in mid June, was off it for 1 week, now back!! Big major prob.. Can't run without stoping every 3/4 mile to walk then start back up. Legs just feel weak I am not a fast runner but to just go do 15 miles was easy now it's a major struggle and I have an ultra marathon coming up. Am I lacking somthing with paleo. Got the books and even paleo for athlete book but I feel weak n nausea all the time. Restless leg has gotten really bad the past week as to where I can hardly sleep also. I drink tons of wAter n of course use the bathroom allll the time. I luv this approach to eating but I needs some good advice on how to feel like myself again
    What's your heart rate when you run? I'm guessing fairly low (e.g. 120-140bpm) since you're doing ultras, but would be interesting to hear.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Raw liver has an anti-exhaustion factor that scientists can't quite figure out.

Ershoff divided laboratory rats into three groups. The first ate a basic diet, fortified with 11 vitamins. The second ate the same diet, along with an additional supply of vitamin B complex. The third ate the original diet, but instead of vitamin B complex received 10 percent of rations as powdered liver.

A 1975 article published in Prevention magazine described the experiment as follows: "After several weeks, the animals were placed one by one into a drum of cold water from which they could not climb out. They literally were forced to sink or swim. Rats in the first group swam for an average 13.3 minutes before giving up. The second group, which had the added fortifications of B vitamins, swam for an average of 13.4 minutes. Of the last group of rats, the ones receiving liver, three swam for 63, 83 and 87 minutes. The other nine rats in this group were still swimming vigorously at the end of two hours when the test was terminated. Something in the liver had prevented them from becoming exhausted. To this day scientists have not been able to pin a label on this anti-fatigue factor."

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Any ideas on making it palatable?

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Another poster mentioned Vespa. It is not cheap, but I liked it a lot when I was still running long distances. The owner of the company also makes himself available to customers to discuss how to use it optimally, and how to deal with problems, if any occur.

Overall, I found that using it in ultras allowed me to cut way down on other calories, but the net cost with Vespa was still higher than when I raced on other products, such as gels and perpetuem.

Saucony1 is offline Junior Member
    Knifegill~ uuuh I think I am going to pull the 'adult card' and say nooo way on the raw liver haha! You just brought back memory's of me sitting at our table when I was little with Liver and Onions for dinner and you didn't leave the table till half was gone lol. Obviously as a mom now that was never one of my dinners for the family haha. Thank you for the suggestion tho cuz I will read about it

Dml~ I have heard of Vespa, I prob read it some where! I bought a huge thing of perpetuem and late in the night it did not agree with my stomach, not that much did at that point. I need to find somebody in my trail group to give it to cuz I hate to see it go to waste. You are a tad bit to far away for me to say ~ here you can have it~ lol

BenP~ I would tell you if I knew!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I could imagine eating 10% or more of my diet as liver. I don't do much endurance though, given I have ankle issues. I guess I would have to test it somehow.

MaceyUK~ good point n I might try that considering I have next weekend a camping adventure where as a group of us will run ins Friday night 16 miles trail run then turn around Saturday morning and do a distance of 6-20 then Saturday night is another same option. It will get me practice on the trails which I just have road and highways that I can get my distance accumulated for my ultras.. That weekend will be a test for me on the paleo. I love how it makes me look and feel and even tho I am not a fast runner by any means but it is really putting a cramp ( no Pun intended) in my running!! I am going to up my carbs more often now esp when I have a long run coming up. I have no intentions of being 100% paleo more like 80/20 so I am do hoping somebody brings stuff to make S'more over the fire when we camp. I have to practice putting up my own tent before hand haha or I'm thinking an air mattress in my vehicle will be fine haha

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast