Thread: Eating Disorders page

jibber is offline Junior Member

Eating Disorders

Primal Fuel
    Have any of you been through an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia, orthorexia, good old food/weight obsession) and been affected one way or another through PB/paleo/low carb?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    From my experience with eating disorder, consistently supplying your body with nutrients, especially protein, helps significantly. Actually consistent intake of protein helps with about any addiction related disorder.

I went low-carb a few years ago at the same time I found my passion. My disorder with food (always thinking about nutrition, "orthorexia") was more of a sign for me that this was actually my passion.

Self-recovered very quickly with a good diet of plenty of nutrients, and daily satisfaction of what I love to do.

Some good reads are:

The Diet Cure and The Mood Cure, both by Julia Ross

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    I have been up and down with anorexia nervosa since about age 18, currently 24. as a female at 5’8, I once got as low as 88lbs before I stopped getting on the scale. Many times I almost died, and would have these brain seizures like occurrences in my sleep. Not gonna get into nitty gritty but my whole story is on my blog http://malpaz.wordpress.com/ . the beginning of last year I ended myself in a relapse by giving into the horrible advice at zeroing in on health and becoming zero carb for over a year. The beginning of this year I switched unwillingly (my parents made me start eating veggies again) to primal blueprint. Best decision toward health and recovery I have ever made. My problem is basically my genuine fear of food and eating. I have a big problem with needing to deserve food or earn it, and when I do it has to be perfect. I overanalyze and overthink every single meal possibility. My diet now includes LOTS of organs, eggs, coconut milk, fat and vegetables. I have yet to meet a part of the cow I don’t like. I also eat a lot of double strained greek yogurt and goat dairy. The dairy makes the weight gain easier. It’s not that gaining weight is hard as I know perfectly well HOW to gain weight, it is just the disease that accompanies it makes everything so damned frustrating and lots of tears are shed in the process. I have bad bones but a perfect immune system and never ever get sick with any sort of anything. However, I am sure my organs do not have the fat they need around them, and I do not yet have a period. I need knee surgery because of jumping on my bed, tripping down a step and screwing up my MCL and meniscus….I blame it on my shitty bones as a normal person would have fared fine with what happened to me. Having starved myself for a good 4-5 years I need a lot of time I am guessing to get well, especially considering I am an ‘older’ developer with anorexia. I have a tight control bubble, security and comfort zone with anorexia. I accept I need to let it go and that involves gaining weight. It is hard 100% harder when people tell me they would kill for my body and are so jealous and envious of me. I am working on getting in 3 meals a day, everyday with a night snack regardless of whether or not I am hungry. I shoot for 3000 a day. Some days are good, some days are bad. I currently don’t exercise and cant really walk distance due to the knee injury, making it all the more difficult.

what i have learned is this:
    -fatty fish and a lot of it helps with the depression, really, and i take krill oil
    - vitamin D makes me feel better
    - zinc is essential
    - magnesium supplements sort of help my sleep but an epsom salt bath works better
    - organs give you ungodly amounts of energy
    - i sweat in bed a lot
    - i had zero difficulty digestively changing from zero carb to primal

any other question please ask i am more than willing to help