Thread: Looking for pate substrate suggestions page

JenP Guest

Shop Now

My husband made a lovely pate; we are eating it on some nice raw cheddar cheese, but it makes my husband LONG for crunchy white bread. Any suggestions as to what else to eat it on?

thanks,

Jen

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Dehydrated zucchini?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

grilled slices of beets?

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

hannahc is offline Senior Member

cucumber slices!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

I second the beets! Roast them in the oven and get them nice and carmelized. The sugars (gasp) will really come out. Sure its not advised for the excess glucose/fructose but I am assuming its only once and a while.

OR

Didn't someone post an almond cracker recipe? If I recall it was something like almond flour, arrow root flour and egg whites. Baked? They looked great though.

Wilchar is offline Junior Member

Pate!....oh my...one of my favorites! Care to share the "Primal" recipe Jen? Please?

They used to sell an incredible buffalo pate at a local Farmer's Market a few year back but I can't find it anywhere now. The store bought stuff has too much gunk in it for me.

AndreaC is offline Member

Primal crackers are ridiculously easy.

Basically 1-2c almond flour, a teaspoon or so of oil and an egg and then you just add in interesting flavors such as:

seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower)

flax meal

herbs (fresh and dried work well)

other nuts (walnut crackers are nice too)

veggies (sundried tomato, spinach)

salt and pepper (duh)

Blend it all up in a food processor or blender until it's got a good wet sticky dough consistency. Add water a bit at a time if it's too dry and more almond flour if it's too wet.

Roll it out really thin and cut into squares with a pizza cutter (remember those things?!).

Bake at 400F until golden brown (8-12 min?). Cool, slather, munch.

Also, good way to roll it out without going crazy:

Get two baking sheets that will nest (same size).

Turn one sheet upside down, cover in plastic wrap, place dough ball then another layer of plastic. Roll, mush or smash your dough to the right consistency.

Replace the top layer of plastic with parchment and cover with the other baking sheet (also upside down).

Flip it all over, remove the plastic wrap and bake.

I went through a lot of trouble trying to transfer rolled out dough before I thought of that.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Andrea that sounds awesome! Do they get/stay crunchy for long?? I haven't made any substitute type stuff for crackers or cakes yet, but I wanted to try the carrot walnut bread, and now these! Genius idea with the parchment and the flipping.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

AndreaC is offline Member

Yes, they last really well. Mine usually come out like slightly more dense wheat thins and much more tasty.

I messed up the cutting on a batch once and just saved them all broken up, I use them in place of bread crumbs in recipes like meatloaf or as a crunchy topping.

Check out Elana's Pantry for all her almond flour goodness. I've had to stop looking at it because I've used her recipes to come up with too many irresistable things, especially pastry like stuff.

JenP Guest

hey, great suggestions! we may just try them all.

here's the recipe, very like any you find online.

big dolop of butter in the frying pan - cook sliced onion, with thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. move that to the food processor. add more butter, fry 1 pound of chicken livers (from our local farmer, yum), toss those in the food processor. Pour 2 TBS of bourbon into the pan and flame (yikes) - this burns off the alcohol supposidly. Add to food processor, process, scrap into a container. Put more butter in the pan, warm it to foaming, spoon on the foam and discard, put the remaining clarified butter on top (this last step is optional - just keeps the top of the pate nice).

and unlike store-bought, no unknown or undesired ingredients!

Jen