Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: recovering from the "clean plate" syndrome page 5

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    So because it is an "addiction", any available food will be eaten?

I used to smoke. I was addicted, but I didn't smoke every cigarette in sight. I had a pack in my pocket at all times, but I didn't constantly smoke. Is an addiction just a lack of will power? In that case, was I ever addicted to cigarettes?

I should mention, this isn't a snarky remark. I am not trying to be an asshole. I am just curious.
    There is a satiation curve for both things I would think. You smoked more than you meant or wanted to smoke- the addiction triangle (environment/person/substance) overwelmed your will. I imagine there is some limit to my satiation, but it is above what my will is for it to be, so tweaking my environment is one way to win.

BTW, my very favoritist book on addiction is The Cult of Pharmacology by Richard DeGrandpre... This book is where I get most of my notions about addiction.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I make things in the quantity to be eaten, or I have a couple of things that I can divide and freeze, so only one serving gets thawed.
    I deliberately make some meals to have leftovers, specifically so that I CAN freeze them for lunches later in the week. I separate the portions to freeze BEFORE we sit down to eat the meal. Mostly because if there's food there, DH will keep on eating (lucky for him he can get away with that...!)

darthvaderette is offline Junior Member
    Luckily, my parents never forced the 'finish ALL food from your plate' rule. Whatever food is leftover is either fed to the pets, chucked in the garbage or goes in a tupperware container for lunch the next day. Love leftovers!

I always have and always will eat from the smaller plates, you naturally eat less and throw out less. Dinner plates are just so huge.
    “When you’re in my house you shall do as I do and believe who I believe in. So Bart: butter your bacon.” - Homer Simpson

Sorta primal since Fall 2011
    Fully and happily primal since September 2012

F/5'2"
    SW: 148 / CW: 105 / GW: 105

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    So because it is an "addiction", any available food will be eaten?

I used to smoke. I was addicted, but I didn't smoke every cigarette in sight. I had a pack in my pocket at all times, but I didn't constantly smoke. Is an addiction just a lack of will power? In that case, was I ever addicted to cigarettes?

I should mention, this isn't a snarky remark. I am not trying to be an asshole. I am just curious.
    Do you really think that the reason you don't binge is because you are constantly exercising will power?

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Do you really think that the reason you don't binge is because you are constantly exercising will power?
    Obviously. I am a perfect fucking human. Look how awesome I am...

I think addiction and binging are two different things. But I guess we are talking about being addicted to binging.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    BTW, my very favoritist book on addiction is The Cult of Pharmacology by Richard DeGrandpre... This book is where I get most of my notions about addiction.
    I'm checking it out now. Thanks for the recommendation.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you've been thin all your life, you have no idea as to what it's like to binge. The out of control, self-loathing emotions that go with it, even while you're doing it. Some can hide it with bulimia because they puke up almost all of it right after. Assuming that thin people are awesome and fat people are dolts is as misguided as assuming that rich people are smart and poor people are stupid. Some rich people merely inherit, and some poor people choose not to play the game.

I've been anywhere from 112 lbs to 263 lbs as an adult. I am always me. I'm not weak when I'm fat; I'm not a perfect human when I'm thin. I'm currently in the high 140s. What does that make me? Almost perfect? A little out of control? Someone who no longer gives a rat's ass? Judge me if you will when you see me on the street. But judging people by what they weigh rather than by the accomplishments of their lives is pretty damned feeble.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I don't see an enemy here... I see someone who was engaging in a legitimate dialogue about the meaning of addiction.

ETA: Though I'm sure an enemy will be conjured any moment since it has been called for...
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    If you've been thin all your life, you have no idea as to what it's like to binge. The out of control, self-loathing emotions that go with it, even while you're doing it. Some can hide it with bulimia because they puke up almost all of it right after. Assuming that thin people are awesome and fat people are dolts is as misguided as assuming that rich people are smart and poor people are stupid. Some rich people merely inherit, and some poor people choose not to play the game.

I've been anywhere from 112 lbs to 263 lbs as an adult. I am always me. I'm not weak when I'm fat; I'm not a perfect human when I'm thin. I'm currently in the high 140s. What does that make me? Almost perfect? A little out of control? Someone who no longer gives a rat's ass? Judge me if you will when you see me on the street. But judging people by what they weigh rather than by the accomplishments of their lives is pretty damned feeble.
    Hence the questions.

I am often sarcastic. Judge me if you will.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Obviously. I am a perfect fucking human. Look how awesome I am...
    Are you actually trying to tell us you are not Spiderman? What a let down

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast