Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: recovering from the "clean plate" syndrome page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    "Clean plate" syndrome ?? WTF ?
    I always finish what is on my plate, you never know, it could be my last meal in a long time ...
    You're not an American. Parents in the country where you grow up don't force their kids to clean their plates because of "the starving children in India/Africa/wherever"?

Obviously it didn't help either me or the starving children of India when I cleaned my plate of the food my mother piled on it even when I wasn't hungry enough to eat.

Those of us who were trained to do this were rewarded. We were good little girls and boys. We had the right to be proud. It is considered a virtue not to "waste" uneaten food, and a vice to throw uneaten food away. Throwing away spoiled food is a moral failure according to this way of thinking, because you should have eaten it before it spoiled.

Yes, I remember so many times my mother or father opening the refrigerator and asking "Who wants to eat this ____? It's going to go bad." Yup.

And no dessert unless you finish your dinner. If you're too full to finish your dinner, eat it anyway, then stuff down a big serving of dessert as a reward.

When we ate at a restaurant it was the same thing. If you ordered something you didn't like, you had to finish it anyway. Buffets were the worst, because if you took something that turned out to be really nasty, you had to finish it anyway. Can't waste food.

I'm sure my mother thinks that only bad parents let their kids select what they want to eat and how much they want to eat of it themselves, and permit them to stop eating when they are done, even if there is still food on their plates.

Not eating when you're not hungry => not an option. Is it any wonder we're so messed up?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    You're not an American. Parents in the country where you grow up don't force their kids to clean their plates because of "the starving children in India/Africa/wherever?

Obviously it didn't help either me or the starving children of India when I cleaned my plate of the food my mother piled on it even when I wasn't hungry enough to eat.

Those of us who were trained to do this were rewarded. We were good little girls and boys. We had the right to be proud. It is considered a virtue not to "waste" uneaten food, and a vice to throw uneaten food away. Throwing away spoiled food is a moral failure according to this way of thinking, because you should have eaten it before it spoiled.

Yes, I remember so many times my mother or father opening the refrigerator and asking "Who wants to eat this ____? It's going to go bad." Yup.

And no dessert unless you finish your dinner. If you're too full to finish your dinner, eat it anyway, then stuff down a big serving of dessert as a reward.

When we ate at a restaurant it was the same thing. If you ordered something you didn't like, you had to finish it anyway. Buffets were the worst, because if you took something that turned out to be really nasty, you had to finish it anyway. Can't waste food.

I'm sure my mother thinks that only bad parents let their kids select what they want to eat and how much they want to eat of it themselves, and permit them to stop eating when they are done, even if there is still food on their plates.

Not eating when you're not hungry => not an option. Is it any wonder we're so messed up?
    This.

And I'm proud of the massive quantities I can ingest. I had to stop short of three pounds of ground beef once, so I HAVE experienced that "full" switch a few times. Suddenly the food seems inedible. Like styrofoam.

And yes, I lost my 45-50 pounds on Primal Blueprint stuffing myself silly, overeating, not wasting food, whatever you call it. Rarely does food make it back into the fridge once it leaves for the kitchen. I love feeling full and knowing I don't have to think about food for 20+ hours.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You're not an American. Parents in the country where you grow up don't force their kids to clean their plates because of "the starving children in India/Africa/wherever"?

Combine this with “you must have 3 meals” and all food groups are need at each ... very very heavy on the grain/starch based carbs as they where the cheapest and you have how I was taught to eat. (and is still how most of my family eats)
    04/23/2012 Initial Weight : 445 lbs
    06/27/2012 Current weight : 403 lbs
    07/29/2014 Goal weight : 200 lbs

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    Combine this with “you must have 3 meals” and all food groups are need at each ... very very heavy on the grain/starch based carbs as they where the cheapest and you have how I was taught to eat. (and is still how most of my family eats)
    Indeed. If we ate lunch at a buffet and stuffed ourselves silly, and none of us were hungry, my mother would still fix supper and we would eat it. It is VERY BAD to skip a meal, even if you're still full from pigging out only a few hours earlier.

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    i still always clear my plate, i just try to dish up roughly what i think i can manage

katiepotato is offline Member
    It's not just an American thing - I definitely heard it to an extent growing up in England, although we were never forced to eat something we didn't like. Both of my parents were born in the late 1940s UK and used to tell us about ration books, so I guess I can understand why wasted food would seem so abhorrent...

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    if you eat it and really didn't want to eat it, it is still going to waste"
    if we eat excess food it can only do one of 2 things 1) turn to crap or 2) turn to fat. Either way its worse than throwing it out.
    I've tried to use this sort of "explanation" with a morbidly obese friend when we eat together and I sometimes don't want all the food they give me at a restaurant. He just cannot wrap his mind around it at all. I don't go out of my way to waste food but wasting my health seems worse to me...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    I still clean my plate. It is just piled with healthier food. I literally scraped up the last of the 5 runny egg yolks on my plate this morning with a 4th strip of bacon.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

otzi Guest
    I was raised to never waste food. Clean plate club/Victory Plate was the name of the game at my house. If one of my brothers didn't finish his food, we fought over it--claiming a 2X next to our Victory Plate score. We actually had a chart on the wall with this info recorded daily. End of the week best got extra dessert or something...

Anyway, I carried on that tradition until I was a 250 pound blubbering mess. Now I relish in throwing away food. There used to never be wasted leftovers--I ate them all. Now, we clean the fridge once a week and dump several containers of leftovers in the trash. When we went out to eat, if wife or kid had leftovers--no doggy bag needed! Dad was there. Not now. I only eat off my plate and could care less about leftovers.

Here's something fun: When eating out, ask for all the bread you would normally have eaten; extra rolls, crackers, breadsticks, etc... At the end of your meal, snap a pic at the pile of uneaten bread and grin.

I still have a hard time leaving a hunk of fatty meat, but I no longer ask for an extra roll to wipe up all the gravy off my plate.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Now I relish in throwing away food.
    I relish in cooking, and eating the correct amount of food with no waste.
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast