Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: recovering from the "clean plate" syndrome page 2

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    IMO clean plates are good!
    I plan and shop on a 7-day cycle. The list typically doesn't include anything ready-to-eat so consuming beyond what I prepared for dinner is not an option. If dinner was too light or too heavy I'll make a mental note to adjust next time but I'm not going to waste food.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    All of these are good. I found that sometimes I needed to force myself to throw away food even though my programming from earliest age was that the world would end if I "wasted" food by not eating it. Now I know that it is more harmful to eat when I am not hungry than it is wasteful to discard food.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Put uneaten portion in a container or wrap it up. Put it in the fridge. If I want it later I can, (even if that is just 20 minutes later) if I don't eat it in a day or so, it can go in the bin then - hopefully when I am more ready to let it go.

A diet program I once went on that included Psych work, had a stage where you had to leave something on your plate at every meal. Didn't matter what - it could be your least favourite bit of the meal. It didn't matter if you put slightly more on your plate to start with to allow for it! Just start the habit of leaving something on your plate. I actually think it helped.

Accompanying this stage you had to write out what happened at meal times when you were a kid. Did you get in trouble for not finishing your food? Were you force fed leftovers? Was there not enough food to go around? How did you feel about that? Do you have an option now to choose how you react to these situations/thoughts?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    IMO clean plates are good!
    I plan and shop on a 7-day cycle. The list typically doesn't include anything ready-to-eat so consuming beyond what I prepared for dinner is not an option. If dinner was too light or too heavy I'll make a mental note to adjust next time but I'm not going to waste food.
    This. If I stay full for a few extra hours, I'll be eating later or less next time. It all balances out. If, and only if, you are eating enough protein (in my own, personal, just for myself, giving-advice-is-now-taboo-on-this-forum, experience). Skimp on the protein and the fat and carbs you ate will dissolve within an hour.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Skimp on the protein and the fat and carbs you ate will dissolve within an hour.
    Definitely. I don't even eat large pieces but taking in food without animal protein feels unwise. Buying and preparing it puts a brake on all the useless grazing. CW advice seems to assume folks are making food decisions minute-by-minute hour-by-hour which sounds very stressful.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    when I was a young child in the 70's we had a family get together at my grandparents house. After dinner my grandmother was cleaning up and had a little bit of something left that wasn't enough to really keep. She asked me if I wanted to eat it. I said "ok, I don't want it to go to waste". She looked at me and said "John, if you eat it and really didn't want to eat it, it is still going to waste" her saying that had a huge impact on me.
    and if you think about it. if we eat excess food it can only do one of 2 things 1) turn to crap or 2) turn to fat. Either way its worse than throwing it out.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I set out whatever I feel like and, if only a little is left, I'll eat it, if I'm still hungry after I'll have a snack and if a lot is left I'll save it for later.
    It stops me feeling guilty for wasting food (mostly poor upbringing), whilst allowing me to follow my hunger.

I also often ask myself if I'm hungry enough to hunt/gather before making a meal. If not, I'll have something small (a few nuts or dates), to tide me over. When I'm hungry enough that I'd walk for 3+h to collect my food or wrestle/stab a small animal to death, then I'll have a proper meal.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I eat only once a day on non workout days. I usually stuff myself when I eat.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    "Clean plate" syndrome ?? WTF ?
    I always finish what is on my plate, you never know, it could be my last meal in a long time ...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Going to the other end of the spectrum.

eat butter and other saturated fats with eat meal, each item. Since your vagus nerve is designed to notify your brain to shut your cake hole when appropriate levels of fat are ingested problem solved. it is very difficult to eat one more bite when your ghrelin kicks in.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast