Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-life crisis page 2

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Thrive Market
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I use that word because someone said that was why I quit my job a few years ago to hike the PCT. I just thought I was taking advantage of an opportunity. But they said it looked like a classic mid-life crisis. Nowadays I just feel like there is no opportunity, so I suppose I'm on the wrong side of a shut door.

Only you have the right to define your life. everyone else ( me included) can suck rocks and jump off bridges... DO NOT ALLOW SOMEONES WORDS DEFINE YOU....

If indeed you are on the "wrong" side then walk back the other direction ( if this suits you) or keep moving forward.

Past, Present, Future

Before, Now, After

You can only be present HERE NOW and you can only affect Future After. Simple and true and as with most simple truths profound

Fuck Yesterday, Screw what Happened.

All that matters is what you focus on RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

if you knew you only had 10 dollars to spend, and it costs you nothing to be present, costs you a dollar to look backward and you could actually make money looking forward, what would you do?

that will tell you where you mind is, because that analogy is about as true as it gets. every single erg of energy spent in the past is money thrown away.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

or put a different way and misquoting Yoda

A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked behid... to the past, to the before. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Regret. Heh. Disappointment. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Ah Quelsen, You hit a home run with that definition. Thank You...I think.

My midlife crisis is exactly that, the wrong side of a closing door syndrome. I often hear the litany "Too Late, Too Late, Too Late" in my head. Too late to conquer these food demons...Too late to heal all of the damage to my body...Too late to follow my dreams. Some of this is true, but some of it is just my mind screwing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Ah Quelsen, You hit a home run with that definition. Thank You...I think.

My midlife crisis is exactly that, the wrong side of a closing door syndrome. I often hear the litany "Too Late, Too Late, Too Late" in my head. Too late to conquer these food demons...Too late to heal all of the damage to my body...Too late to follow my dreams. Some of this is true, but some of it is just my mind screwing with me.
    take it from a man who has felt like life was not worth living since i was about 10.

it is never too late.

Too late leaves you looking at the wrong things and missing out on the options life provides.

acceptance that IT happened and that Something else will happen allows you to see the new doors.

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps I am just tired and bored. Two years in a row now of not taking any vacation days, saving them all up for one long summer trip. I don't think I will do this again next year. Next year I will just tack extra days on to long weekends and thus have more vacations overall.

Anyway, it kinda occurred to me that maybe I'm going nuts because I've been trying to do weird things with my hair, I care more about weight lifting than my job (but maybe that's because I don't do anything for weeks at a time), and the other day I decided to hell with waiting for some appropriate excuse--I have always wanted a tattoo of a butterfly so I walked into a tattoo shop and 4 hours later I had a butterfly tattoo.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Perhaps I am just tired and bored. Two years in a row now of not taking any vacation days, saving them all up for one long summer trip. I don't think I will do this again next year. Next year I will just tack extra days on to long weekends and thus have more vacations overall.

Anyway, it kinda occurred to me that maybe I'm going nuts because I've been trying to do weird things with my hair, I care more about weight lifting than my job (but maybe that's because I don't do anything for weeks at a time), and the other day I decided to hell with waiting for some appropriate excuse--I have always wanted a tattoo of a butterfly so I walked into a tattoo shop and 4 hours later I had a butterfly tattoo.
    the butterfly effect

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thread SB. Been wondering about stuff like this myself lately. Good input Q. I feel like I'm not exactly worrying about the past but I'm not exactly sure where to go/what to do for the future. Trying to figure out how to figure it out.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    Interesting thread SB. Been wondering about stuff like this myself lately. Good input Q. I feel like I'm not exactly worrying about the past but I'm not exactly sure where to go/what to do for the future. Trying to figure out how to figure it out.
    no one knows that answer but you , however i have found that when you stop looking you find stuff. true with keys, true with life.

stop assuming you are not doing exactly the right thing right now and notice how that feels

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Time for me to admit that I'm going through one. I just turned 45 and the last few years have been tough. My job went backwards -- new boss brought in idiot friends to do the interesting parts of my job (and do them badly) while leaving me the crap. My adult son moved in with me -- which is nice but also a challenge. My last single friend left for the Peace Corps.

But the hardest part is that your whole life you live for tomorrow (I know -- you're supposed to live for "today", but who really does that?). But now "tomorrow" seems kind of ridiculous.

The positive is new insight. Throughout most of my life, there's always been this discipline thing -- I've got to "bear down" and change this, change that. There are times that call for discipline, but it's mostly overrated. After 40 I stepped back and looked at myself -- I now have a decent sample size -- to figure out some of the reasons for my decisions, actions, attitudes, emotions, etc... I've gotten to know who I am and who I am not. I'm reading some Jungian stuff and exploring my subconscious, giving my some "a-ha" moments.

I'm starting to see that the first 40 years of my life was the me that was created by my family, upbringing and society. And that there's a "me" I want to forge. But to get there, I had to know who that was.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hope more people will reply to this thread. I'm probably not old enough to be having a mid-life crisis (I'm 31) but I've had a series of mini-crises, I guess. I think the replies so far are very interesting!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast