Thread: No Poo and Curly Hair page

geostump is offline Senior Member

No Poo and Curly Hair

Primal Fuel
    I've made the decision to start going no poo tomorrow. My question is thus. For those women with curly hair, do you still use product on your hair and do you wet your hair on the days you don't cleanse it?
    Georgette

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I wash every day with conditioner only and then condition with a another conditioner - both follow the girly girl rules. I do use products on my hair as well, but again, only those that fit the "curly girl" rules of no parabens, silicons, or sulfates.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Well, I know I'm not sposed to answer cuz I don't have curly
    hair, but you're not my real mother and can't tell me what to do.

HI!

Okay, so, I stopped using shampoo two months ago because I've
    recently acquired Old Lady Frizzy Hair that perpetually looks like
    a dry ass haystack.

Wet hair. Apply a GENEROUS amount of conditioner (even dollar store
    crap works) gently scrub scalp like you would as if it was shampoo.

Pretend it lathers (it doesn't), then rinse,.... then COLD rinse (if you can stand it).

Since going poo-less, I no longer have to add *extra* stuff to my hair whilst it
    air dries to keep the haystack in line.

I actually seem to be getting my "normal" hair back cuz of going poo-less.

Julia

p.s. i also only condition-wash it once a week. Ponytails are my friend.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Well, I know I'm not sposed to answer cuz I don't have curly
    hair, but you're not my real mother and can't tell me what to do.
    Hah. I do what Julia does. I have wavy hair, which is somewhere between curly and straight. My mother told me I could answer this and so I am. I wet my hair in the shower and use conditioner or acv on it. I stopped washing it about 6 months ago or so and no more frizz!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

I was wanting to do the actual no poo of using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair. Am I under the impression that's not good for curly hair? I was looking at a way to reduce costs on hair products. I have 4 females in the house and hair products are expensive.
    Georgette

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    I've been no-poo for a long time now, and have a lot of fine, curly hair...I get it wet most days and be sure to scrub my scalp really well with my fingertips. Instead of using a ton of condish and rinsing it out, I put on a bit at the end of my shower, work it through well and leave it in. That said, my hair is reeeeeally dry, and a humid day where I live is 20%, so YMMV. I do still use product (Biosilk Silk Therapy and Averno Curl cream, both have 'cones) but I rarely have to actually co-wash more often than once every few weeks. I currently use Biolage Conditioning Balm and my hair is really happy with it. I've also stopped colouring it, but not sure what that effect it may have had on the overall condition.

I found that, with already dry hair, BS/ACV just didn't work well for me at all.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    For my mildly wavy, fine, thick hair, no poo was not my friend. I may not have given it enough time, though. Co-washing with a good scrub and a clean rinse seems to be my friend. I may try true no- poo and go with only the vinegar (I think the baking soda and hard water just left my hair nasty.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

My hair is thin and really fine. It's a chin length bob and its on the curly side. I live in Ohio and the humidity this past has been no lower than 80%. Even though I just co-wash now, my hair is really frizzy. I use this stuff that has none of the bad stuff in it and I use it daily to wash my hair. It gets oily very easily and I haven't found a way to be able to let go of cleansing it daily.
    Georgette

To add, I was diagnosed with make pattern baldness back in '07 and even though I am not totally bald, I am extremely thin in hair on the top. I'm debating on going somewhere and getting it chopped off and starting over again. My hair grows like a weed so it wouldn't take long for it to get to chin length.
    Georgette

ayumi is offline Member
    I have very curly hair. Lemon juice in the bath then conditioner or coconut oil and a cold rinse works for me. Might take your hair a while to make the switch.