Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Dairy - need Calcium page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think dairy stalling weight loss is a very individual thing. However, sources like cheese can be very calorically dense. Hard cheeses can go as high as 110+ cal/oz, softer cheeses 80+ cal/oz, with the lowest one I can think of at the moment (feta) about 60+ cal/oz. So cheese as a snack or nibbled throughout the day could stall you.

From here: Food for thought: 10 best non-dairy sources of calcium - The National

... here are 10 non-dairy, calcium-rich foods: bok choy, kale, sea vegetables, broccoli, almonds, Brazil nuts,*snip*, salmon, figs and sesame seeds
    (the snip was tofu)

Here's another list - again not all of the recommendations are primal or paleo: Top 10 Foods Highest in Calcium

Another good source of info for nutrients in various foods is World's Healthiest Foods here: calcium
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D is FAR more essential to bone health than calcium. Eat sardines and salmon with the bones in and some bone broth and get yourself a good vitD supplement and you should be fine.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Orange juice, dehydrated eggshells ground into powder, leafy greens like kale or collards boiled and eaten with the broth, blackstrap molasses.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Sharon is offline Member
    for calcium i drink nettle infusion. one cup can contain up to 500mg of calcium. plus a range of other beneficial minerals.
    gives you tons of energy too if you drink it regularly.

Caveman Food: Stinging Nettle Infusion

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yep, canned fish like sardines or salmon once a week or so with bones etc. still in 'em. Shrimp too.

Leafy greens are alright too, though you'd need a lot comparatively.

Bone broth yeah, but that takes planning to make in huge batches.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamame View Post
    Vitamin D is FAR more essential to bone health than calcium. Eat sardines and salmon with the bones in and some bone broth and get yourself a good vitD supplement and you should be fine.
    Uh what? Calcium is required for vitamin D to perform its functions for bone health, it helps absorb calcium and moves it to the right places -- along with K, magnesium, A, etc;
    nihil

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    This thread has me paranoid about calcium overdose now. I eat sardines, sheep skyr, bone stock, and dark greens every week.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    It is very difficult / about impossible to overdose on calcium from food.

Eating the same greens daily can lead to other kinds of overdoses though. I rotate between things like spinach and things like lettuce.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    A few things,

I have also heard of the poor calcium absorption from dairy, the enzymes that come with milk that allow it to release its large calcium supply, gets killed off in the pasteurisation process.

I think the main concern is not calcium uptake its very easy to get enough calcium through diet. But calcium leaching from our bones as our bodies use it to detoxify. For example the sodium flouride added to our water supply is very toxic, our body uses calcium to turn it into calcium flouride (not very toxic) which it can then process and eliminate.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    A few things,

I have also heard of the poor calcium absorption from dairy, the enzymes that come with milk that allow it to release its large calcium supply, gets killed off in the pasteurisation process.

I think the main concern is not calcium uptake its very easy to get enough calcium through diet. But calcium leaching from our bones as our bodies use it to detoxify. For example the sodium flouride added to our water supply is very toxic, our body uses calcium to turn it into calcium flouride (not very toxic) which it can then process and eliminate.

Sent from my iPhone
    Right. I've heard that enough calcium gets leached for that purpose in most people who eat a diet high in such toxins that getting a little extra isn't usually a problem since it also helps to detoxify.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast