Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me page

abel is offline Junior Member

Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me

Shop Now
    So first of all, desite of this horrible thread title, I love what Mark does, I read the site every day, and am primal.

However: I first tried to go very very low carb about 7 months ago. I based my strategy on the primal carb curve, and on the fact that Mark stated many times that we could even go zero carb.

I got constipated right on the first day, when I consumed about 25-30 grams of carbs. I didn't want to think that there was a problem with the low carb approach, so I waited. I didn't poop the second, third, fourth day, so I started to be worried. (I ate meat, eggs, tried to eat enough fat with the protein of course)
    I gave up after a week when I felt really awful, and ate lots of berries and fruits to get things moving.

Long story short: I gave it two more tries, both after reading about how low carb is good, and watching a lecture where Mark said that we have absolutely no requirements for carbs and we could go in our entire lives without having any carbs.

My constipation turned into fecal impaction, I didn't poop for weeks at times, and got to the point where almost nothing helped, not even consuming a lot of veggies, salty water and fiber supplement. My condition went almost life threatening, and it was def. triggered by my low carb attempts.

While I agree that refined carbs are NEVER required, saying that we have no requirement for carbs I think is an unbelievably irresponsible and dangerous claim.

I believe that an eskimo type of diet with wild seal fat and caribu meat is healthy, I don't think we can fully implement that strategy into our lives with our meat and fat sources.
    It might be because our fats and meats we get in the grociery store are lacking a lot of nutrients and even some amino acids.

It sure still works for some people, but Dear Mark, I literally almost died because blindly taking your advice.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Why would you keep doing something that you were experiencing negative outcomes with? It is pretty clear that you also were not eating enough fat. Bowel movements do slow when you reduce carbs, but I've eaten close to 0 carbs for about a week at a time and had no problems physically. Mark also explicitly states that under 50g is short term. Did you miss that?

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    You didn't think to take a tablespoon of coconut oil, magnesium citrate, etc?

2Rae is offline Junior Member
    It sounds to me that you were missing something, I take a magnesium supplement if things don't move properly within a day. Waiting for more than a day is not a good idea, always listen to your body, we all have different make ups and require nutrients that are unique to our needs. The more you learn about your own needs the better able you will be to make good decisions for your own body. Sorry that you had such a severe issue. Personally I do best of very low carbs.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    People do the Atkins induction for extended periods of time. That's <20g of carbs a day (net carbs). They are encouraged to eat their net carb allotment as large salads and other raw vegetables to stay regular. If you were eating 20g of net carbs as raw low starch vegetables, it is highly unlikely you would have been constipated. I really think that should be a suggestion for people who start out doing VLC. Then they can find their own equilibrium.

Sol blackcat is offline Senior Member
    I've been no carbs for 26 days now and although the bowel movement was a bit s&it to start with I'm back to normal now. Admittedly not much, but I'm not eating that much compared to before primal.
    A slight head ache on getting used to to things in the beginning. I'm also dealing with detoxing and withdrawal from another problem.
    Hope you feel better soon, drama queen.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I agree. If you do something that clearly isn't working for you, and if you go WEEKS without getting medical help for a serious condition, that is on YOU. Nice try trying to blame someone else.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    I agree. If you do something that clearly isn't working for you, and if you go WEEKS without getting medical help for a serious condition, that is on YOU. Nice try trying to blame someone else.
    indeed

also.. i think.. that maybe.. if you'd gotten backed up on it twice before, mayyyyyybe you shouldn't have done it again. know what i mean?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

abel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    indeed

also.. i think.. that maybe.. if you'd gotten backed up on it twice before, mayyyyyybe you shouldn't have done it again. know what i mean?
    Yeah, I just didn't want to believe that it was the no carb thing if once "there is no requirement for it."

You're all right that I was doing the wrong thing but it was due to my nativity and the wrong and irresponsible claims by Mark and others.

Btw I did eat enough fat, coconut oil, mct oil, I have taken magnesium and upped the dose, even tried supplementation with glutamine and stuff.

there is no need to remind me that I was doing the stupid thing when going back on it, but that is what happens when taking the advice of somebody for granted.
    Last edited by abel; 07-07-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Learn More
    Well, this is why if something doesn't work for you, don't continue trying it after the first time you see bad effects
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast