Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me page 3

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    He sais that we could go entirely without carbs if we wanted to. He stated this very firmly multiple This is a dangerous and irresponsible claim no matter what.
    Of course we can, because the body can derive its glucose needs from other sources. Does this mean you should eat zero carbs? No.

The claim that he made was true, but that doesn't mean it should be applied in every situation. I'm all for blaming the flawed ideologies of certain diets, but this is your fault. Have the common sense to do the research yourself and not jump at any opportunity to follow your distorted interpretations of what someone is recommending.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    What did you eat exactly??
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    However: I first tried to go very very low carb about 7 months ago. I based my strategy on the primal carb curve, and on the fact that Mark stated many times that we could even go zero carb.

I got constipated right on the first day, when I consumed about 25-30 grams of carbs. (...) It sure still works for some people, but Dear Mark, I literally almost died because blindly taking your advice.
    Yep, that's what happens when taking an advice too “blindly”! I have not seen Mark advice people to eat 25 - 30 gram of carbs, or below, though...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    So first of all, desite of this horrible thread title, I love what Mark does, I read the site every day, and am primal.

However: I first tried to go very very low carb about 7 months ago. I based my strategy on the primal carb curve, and on the fact that Mark stated many times that we could even go zero carb.

I got constipated right on the first day, when I consumed about 25-30 grams of carbs. I didn't want to think that there was a problem with the low carb approach, so I waited. I didn't poop the second, third, fourth day, so I started to be worried. (I ate meat, eggs, tried to eat enough fat with the protein of course)
    I gave up after a week when I felt really awful, and ate lots of berries and fruits to get things moving.

Long story short: I gave it two more tries, both after reading about how low carb is good, and watching a lecture where Mark said that we have absolutely no requirements for carbs and we could go in our entire lives without having any carbs.

My constipation turned into fecal impaction, I didn't poop for weeks at times, and got to the point where almost nothing helped, not even consuming a lot of veggies, salty water and fiber supplement. My condition went almost life threatening, and it was def. triggered by my low carb attempts.

While I agree that refined carbs are NEVER required, saying that we have no requirement for carbs I think is an unbelievably irresponsible and dangerous claim.

I believe that an eskimo type of diet with wild seal fat and caribu meat is healthy, I don't think we can fully implement that strategy into our lives with our meat and fat sources.
    It might be because our fats and meats we get in the grociery store are lacking a lot of nutrients and even some amino acids.

It sure still works for some people, but Dear Mark, I literally almost died because blindly taking your advice.

I think that this is an excellent post, and should serve as a warning to those of us who think that one approach is right for everyone.
    If something doesn't feel right, then don't go on with it while having the mindset that so-and-so diet guru says that it's the right thing to do.
    if it doesn't feel right for you, then it isn't right for you.
    Simple.
    Don't be swayed by the so-called "experts" on the Mark's daily apple forum, or any other forum, for that matter.

abel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    And people can eat peanuts if they want to. But if someone says "hey, have some peanuts" and you eat them even though you've had anaphylaxis before and you die... Well, it is not the fault of the person who offered the peanuts.

Someone was extraordinarily irresponsible here... But that someone is named Abel, not Mark.

If I shared the whole story very detailed with you, you'd understand why I went back two more times...
    There were still possibility that it was not the lack of carbs that caused the problem but other things like infected gut, or just not enough fat...
    As horrible as it may sound, it actually took 3 tries to be absolutely certain that it was the lack of carbs that caused the problem.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I think that this is an excellent post, and should serve as a warning to those of us who think that one approach is right for everyone.
    If something doesn't feel right, then don't go on with it while having the mindset that so-and-so diet guru says that it's the right thing to do.
    if it doesn't feel right for you, then it isn't right for you.
    Simple.
    Don't be swayed by the so-called "experts" on the Mark's daily apple forum, or any other forum, for that matter.
    No, the moral here is to not skew other's recommendations, and then blame them for your own mistakes.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Which I don't do. You can't stop moaning about what I did when you don't even know the whole story. The truth is, that even if I quitted at the first bad experience, would not change the fact that Mark is claiming things that are dangerous and irrespnsible.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I tried Atkins about ten years ago and got terribly constipated. I stopped Atkins. I tried a recipe here in the forums using almond flour to make pizza dough. I got terribly constipated. I didn't make the recipe again. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

What's the pop culture definition of insanity again?

We're all different and it's impossible to know ahead of time how a WOE is going to affect your systems. There are forum members who say they do eat zero carbs, but when pressed here in the forums, most admit they eat veggies and fruits "for garnish" or "as condiments". If you like this WOE and want to remain primal, do it by shopping the list of foods here. Notice the fruits and vegetables. Buy some and eat them!

Don't blindly follow anyone's advice without applying your own experiences and logic! Glad you're feeling better and wondering how you rectified ( p u n ) your situation

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post

We're all different and it's impossible to know ahead of time how a WOE is going to affect your systems.
    I totally agree with this part. From this logic, is it a responsible thing to say that "You guys could go your entire life without any carbs! There is just no requirement for it!" ?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    He sais that we could go entirely without carbs if we wanted to. He stated this very firmly multiple This is a dangerous and irresponsible claim no matter what.
    Lots of people do go entirely without carbs because they want to. And they seem to be doing just fine. Did you even consider asking their advice before taking a diet that was (according to conventional wisdom) way out there, and then totally going off the cliff as far as nutrition was concerned?

I have seen repeatedly on this forum where a guy will post saying that he latched onto that idea, and decided to make it his way of life. Then he blames Mark. No. Food obsession like that is an eating disorder that you gave to yourself. Your obsession with extreme dietary manipulation and control is a problem you need to take ownership of before you can help yourself.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast