Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 150 of 150

Thread: Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me page 15

  1. #141
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,695
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Man, you should have said that in your first post!

    Those fiber bombs (pills) can plug you up in no time. In fact, I think I saw a study published recently (maybe mentioned in the MDA blog?) about how low fiber diet can improve constipation.
    I used to love bran muffins but they would give me the WORST constipation you would not believe. Too much fiber is not good. It's like caffeine. A cup or two makes me pretty regular but overdosing on it will plug me up so bad.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

  2. #142
    Ariana30's Avatar
    Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    139
    It is not a dangerous claim. High carb intake, and even Zone level carb intakes that allows grains are dangerous claims. I have read that when drastically changing a diet your body will suffer symptoms like constipation and acne, all which reside in time. I also think you might have been better off if you had eaten under cooked organic grass fed meats, which are high in enzymes and are more easily digested. You are at risk of parasites, which is why you have to know what your doing if you want to eat raw meat. Anyway, for advocating a lower carb diet, Mark Sisson will help save countess people from obesity, acne, diabetes, depression and other insulin related illnesses, and therefore he is a LIFE SAVER.

  3. #143
    Ariana30's Avatar
    Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Thanks - I tried! Simply eating whole foods - exactly - it's all we need to do unless there are very specific goals and we are able to tolerate VLC. Some of Peter Attia's stuff on this subject is very informative. He is someone who does low carb, but crucially he explains how and why.
    I will share my story. I eat VLC only because I am ultra insulin resistant and get horrible carb crashes, even by fruit. I have been tested for thyroid, for diabetes, for iron and b12, and nothing reveals why I get so tired. When I eat VLC, I have energy and life again. My husband yesterday said "be careful what you eat, I still need you to go pick up [our daughter] and don't need you having a crash." It is that obvious how delicate I am to carbs. Thankfully my husband supports my diet, and he is likewise very low carb. Neither of us suffer from it, but only suffer when eating too many carbs (myself the worst).

  4. #144
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,370
    I like this thread. I think I'll give up my chocolate and limit berries (basically my only sources of sugar) for a month - just because it's so awesome! Even with a few sips of kombucha with dinner, I'll easily be under 50g every day. Easy peasy! Steak-ish and eggs!


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  5. #145
    KimchiNinja's Avatar
    KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    I completely agree that going extra low carb is something to approach with a lot more caution which I missed back than.

    Simply because it makes so much sense and is so logical from an evolutionary perspective, that it really seemed like the way to go. Our bodies are designed to eat primarily fatty animals, so why would anybody get sick by sticking to that?
    I don't know if anyone has brought up the obvious yet as I don't have time to read every post right now; but one week is not enough time to adjust. And trying it three times, each time for a week doesn't work either.

    Say you were eating 400g carbs your whole life. Switching to 40g overnight is going to be a huge change and could require months to adapt.

  6. #146
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariana30 View Post
    I will share my story. I eat VLC only because I am ultra insulin resistant and get horrible carb crashes, even by fruit. I have been tested for thyroid, for diabetes, for iron and b12, and nothing reveals why I get so tired. When I eat VLC, I have energy and life again. My husband yesterday said "be careful what you eat, I still need you to go pick up [our daughter] and don't need you having a crash." It is that obvious how delicate I am to carbs. Thankfully my husband supports my diet, and he is likewise very low carb. Neither of us suffer from it, but only suffer when eating too many carbs (myself the worst).
    This is an old thread, and I don't really desire to spark it up again, but I will say that I would be careful about how you make your recommendations. In your post before this one, you advocated all of the benefits of low carb diets, and then said you only eat VLC because you're insulin resistant and very sensitive to carbohydrate.

    The reality is that your reactions are yours, don't make general recommendations based on your personal anecdotes, because your situation doesn't apply to everyone. Not everyone does well on low carb diets, and the benefits you listed of going low carb don't apply to everyone.

    I would just suggest that you be careful with your recommendations and understand that your situation may not apply to everyone else.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  7. #147
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    This is an old thread...
    The thread was started a few weeks ago. It is still topical. "Old threads" from several years past get brought back to life all the time.

    Everyone's opinion matters. When someone who eats VLC by necessity describes their experiences, they are cautioned that no one should recommend it for anyone because it is not right for everyone. Yet people who recommend high carb intake reject such caution when making broad recommendations.

    Opinions are just opinions. We're all anonymous strangers on the internet here. No one has more credibility than anyone else.

  8. #148
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The thread was started a few weeks ago. It is still topical. "Old threads" from several years past get brought back to life all the time.
    Ok, sorry we have a different definition of an old thread. Who cares.

    Everyone's opinion matters. When someone who eats VLC by necessity describes their experiences, they are cautioned that no one should recommend it for anyone because it is not right for everyone. Yet people who recommend high carb intake reject such caution when making broad recommendations.
    Yes, opinions and personal experiences matter. However, when they are used to apply concepts to a general population, they can hurt rather than help.

    When you say "people", who are you referring to? Diet is individual, and people react differently to different approaches. If you're referring to me when you say "people", I always say it depends on personal preference, genetics, insulin sensitivity, etc. So be specific when you say "people".

    Opinions are just opinions. We're all anonymous strangers on the internet here. No one has more credibility than anyone else.
    I agree, and I never said anything that disputes that.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

  9. #149
    Ariana30's Avatar
    Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The thread was started a few weeks ago. It is still topical. "Old threads" from several years past get brought back to life all the time.

    Everyone's opinion matters. When someone who eats VLC by necessity describes their experiences, they are cautioned that no one should recommend it for anyone because it is not right for everyone. Yet people who recommend high carb intake reject such caution when making broad recommendations.

    Opinions are just opinions. We're all anonymous strangers on the internet here. No one has more credibility than anyone else.
    Well said! Opinion police, and experience-sharing police risk shutting down openness and honesty where ever they dwell, or infect.
    Last edited by Ariana30; 07-31-2013 at 11:49 PM.

  10. #150
    Lady D's Avatar
    Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    London : UK
    Posts
    174
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's like caffeine. A cup or two makes me pretty regular but overdosing on it will plug me up so bad.
    "The dose makes the poison" is true for most of us I think, and what one person thrives on, or can tolerate, will screw up another person so bad they end up needing medical help.

    This is probably why so many people crave the illusory safety of CW?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •