Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me page 14

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It was all about meat, vegetables, dairy and low carb berries.
    Well call me a dinosaur, then, because I've been doing that for three years and it's still working. That, and dark chocolate and a few other tweaks.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    To the OP, how did you resolve your issue? Did you require surgery?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I predict next people will start realizing that foods like oats, corn, lentils, brown rice and legumes can be great additions to their diet.
    IMO, only if you like the taste of dust. Except corn tastes more like candy than dust. Add to that the fact that as of this year unlabeled GMO corn is being sold for humans, so I'll give corn a pass forever. A glance at the nutritional value of these foods shows them to be pretty low, and while they might not be poison, they are hardly great.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    I predict next people will start realizing that foods like oats, corn, lentils, brown rice and legumes can be great additions to their diet.
    I think that would be true for people who are healthy and at a good weight. I ate a Weston A Price style diet for some time before finding paleo. For me, I did not lose any excess weight and my inflammation and arthritis remained unchanged.

I was never intentionally low-carb paleo. I always ate squash, sweet potatoes and all fruits. However, I do think there is a great place for meat, veggies, and berries for a lot of people.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    IMO, only if you like the taste of dust. Except corn tastes more like candy than dust. Add to that the fact that as of this year unlabeled GMO corn is being sold for humans, so I'll give corn a pass forever. A glance at the nutritional value of these foods shows them to be pretty low, and while they might not be poison, they are hardly great.
    That's what they said about potatoes and rice. All those foods can taste great when prepared right. Grass fed beef isn't exactly tender and tasty year round but it is fine when prepared well. They also have their share of beneficial properties like beta glucan, thiamine, magnesium, resistant starch, etc. Not every food has to be as filled with as many nutrients as liver and kale for it to be beneficial, nutrition doesn't work that way.

abel is offline Junior Member
    First of all thanks SO much for the lot of comments.

I completely agree that going extra low carb is something to approach with a lot more caution which I missed back than.

Simply because it makes so much sense and is so logical from an evolutionary perspective, that it really seemed like the way to go. Our bodies are designed to eat primarily fatty animals, so why would anybody get sick by sticking to that?

For those of you who say it might even be possible that it was NOT the low carb thing: I kind of agree. I moved to the Netherlands last year, and I started having other problems too, like brain fog, which I also never had before.
    However, the times when I started to have digestion problems have always correlated with my low carb attempts.

When I mean going back to "normal" I meant eating more veggies like carrots, some tomatoes here and than, making salads with cucumber and stuff, eating some fruit here and than.. Something is definitely screwed up by now because I feel that I have to stuff some unnatural amount of veggies in order to get things moving. (and even than it is not always too smooth)

you see: that's why I got back three times on it: because if it was because of the lack of fiber, well, there is enough fiber in broccoli, even bought a fiber supplement from Now Foods. In the end, I was consuming a lot more fiber on my 30 grams of carbs diet than somebody with a lot more carbs.

About the title: yeah, I also agree that it was not a particularly good idea.

for those who might be curious of the supplementation changes that I made to correct the problems when I was on this very low carb thing.

1. More fat - to get the ratios right
    2. MCT oil - "promised" to get things right.
    3. L-Glutamine - said to heel the gut
    4. More Magnesium, vitamin C, selenium, even copper
    5. More salt - water retention
    6. Fiber -all doctors can talk about is not enough fiber. There you go...
    7. More water - for obvious reasons
    8. Moving more - not that I had problems with that
    9. praying
    10. Things like omega 3-s and stuff are "obvious".

I did not give up btw my quest for health, I still want to be as healthy as possible and trying to make my family as healthy as possible.
    Last edited by abel; 07-09-2013 at 03:38 AM.

mike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    you see: that's why I got back three times on it: because if it was because of the lack of fiber, well, there is enough fiber in broccoli, even bought a fiber supplement from Now Foods. In the end, I was consuming a lot more fiber on my 30 grams of carbs diet than somebody with a lot more carbs.
    Man, you should have said that in your first post!

Those fiber bombs (pills) can plug you up in no time. In fact, I think I saw a study published recently (maybe mentioned in the MDA blog?) about how low fiber diet can improve constipation.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    ......., not to mention 0 - 50 grams of carbohydrates falls in the "effortless weight loss" zone of the carbohydrate curve.......
    No, the "effortless weight loss" zone of the carbohydrate curve that I have seen is 50 to 100g
    0 to 50 is aggressive weight loss.

Carb curve

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

-------
    0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
    -------

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

-------

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

--------

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    There is no requirement for carbs and we don't have to eat it, but it doesn't mean zero carbs?
    Please provide the link/s where this is stated to the context can be checked.

Did Mark write the article, or was it a interview done by someone else and written by them?

If mark wrote it, I'm guessing the next line or paragraph is going to say something like PB is about eating heaps of veg etc and will give health reasons my one should eat veg and avoid VLC.

If some one else wrote it they could have quoted the zero carb line but omitted the following 5 min talk on why is not advised to do so.

An example, a health expert could say : "there us no requirement for humans to go outside" ( someone could live inside their entire lives and never venture outside as long as food etc is provided - they won't die unless there is a disaster like a house fire and they don't escape to outside) - Technically he is right and is just making a point. The same health expert could then go on to say there many health and social benefits to going outside regularly and it is highly recommended to do so.

"there us no requirement for humans to go outside" does not mean don't ever go outside - even if there's a fire inside.

What did mark say in full context?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Abel,

I have read your harrowing situation. I am an attorney, and I would be happy to represent you and your case. Clearly you have suffered physical and mental anguish due to the advice that you followed exactly to the recommendations provided. Please contact me at 800-Get-Cash. I will fight for you and get you the money you deserve. I represent an entire group of constipated Primal goers in a class action lawsuit. Some have literally had breach poops which required digital removal. Remember, this is not your fault. You are a victim and you must be compensated for your pain and suffering. Call now, operators are standing by....

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast