Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark's carb suggestions almost killed me page 11

stormcrow is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    This point I wasn't even that low carb, I ate up to 30 grams of protein, so I ate carrots, strawberries and things like that sometimes.
    I got terribly constipated again. Now it was a bit better that I supplemented with these stuff, so some days I would have a stool while other days I wouldn't. That is why I waited a bit longer this time, maybe around 10 days. After that I went up to about 50 grams, but because I kind of tried to go for certain, kept pretty low carb. And that's when things got extreme. I went back eating normal, no masses of carbs but more veggies and stuff. Now my complete body mechanism changed...I had trouble gaining muscle and losing fat, and my constipation transformed to fecal impaction. I almost inexplicably gained 10 kilos, (22 pounds) which than took me ages to get rid of.
    So you are saying you had the most serious issues AFTER you upped your carbs 2 or 3 times and went back to eating what was normal for you. So how was the VLC diet the culprit? I don't see the causal relationship here.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    This is not the first poster for VLC to not work and to interpret "primal" as "very low carb".
    Nope. This is from Mark's blog post today:

"This is partly why I don’t recommend a lot of intense exercise all the time – it requires eating a lot of carbs all the time." - Mark Sisson

Read more: Dear Mark: Reader Issues, Chocolate Toxins, Chipotle’s Revelations, plus Red Meat and Diabetes Redux | Mark's Daily Apple
    Regardless of what anyone says, Mark frequently presents Primal as a LOW-CARB diet.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sisson View Post
    "This is partly why I don’t recommend a lot of intense exercise all the time – it requires eating a lot of carbs all the time."
    Well, it require eating a lot more of protein and fat also, and it makes an larger energy turnover in our bodies, making sure that old energy substrates and toxins are changed or flushed out more regulary, so my view is different on this. But it is certainly possible to overdo training and eating also, but Jack LaLanne lived a relative long and healthy life by working out twice a day...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 07-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Nope. This is from Mark's blog post today:

Regardless of what anyone says, Mark frequently presents Primal as a LOW-CARB diet.
    Totally agree! Thats why its easiest for me to define how I eat as "Primal". Its paleo + dairy with an eye toward low carb. That said it doesn't necessarily make him a VLC advocate to say what he said. He recognizes that there is a significant amount of evidence saying that burning and relying on excessive glucose 24/7 is just not beneficial to health. Thats all.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Jeez. I'm really surprised Mark said that. He said it as if eating a lot of carbs all the time is inherently bad, which is definitely misleading.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    It's certainly "low carb" in comparison to SAD or recommended dietary advice offered by most Western governments.
    But I don't thing it's far off of what most people should be following. 100g to 150g for most people is enough. If you're very active eat more, if sedentary or need to lose lots of body fat you can try eating less than 100g carbs (Mark recommended 50g to 100g for short periods in TPB iirc) but test and adjust to find what works for you.

Where's the issue with that?

It's been a long time since I read it, but iirc the TPB was written very much with the idea that the main cause of obesity is insulin resistance caused by high carb intake, while this may or may not be a factor, I think there is more to it and I'm pretty sure Mark does to. Whether he did then but course the easiest factor to explain, or way to draw people in, or that his view had evolved over the years with new research etc. (In which case it would be difficult to keep updating the book everytime something new crops up), I don't know.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    So Mark thinks eating "a lot of carbs all the time" is something people might want to avoid. Or maybe not.

What is "a lot of carbs all the time"?

I would peg it at 60-80% carbs. According to my definition, that is highly immoderate and probably something not everyone can tolerate. I think 30-35% carbs is moderate. It's what I would recommend to someone who is trying to eat 80% carbs and looking for advice, maybe ready to accept advice that is just a little off CW.

It looks to me like Mark is recommending a diet with a carb range which he has always recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Where's the issue with that?
    The point is that many people insist Primal is not a low-carb diet, yet its creator presents it that way, so who is right about that, the creator or the interpreter?

Any technically zero carb is "enough" for most people, as is a virtually fat-free diet, but who says it's optimal? I don't see why protocol for eating real food has to have definitive macronutrient leanings; let the chips fall where they may for each individual, just provide the food suggestions, NOT the quantities.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The point is that many people insist Primal is not a low-carb diet, yet its creator presents it that way, so who is right about that?
    It is relatively low carb, but not necessarily "ketosis" levels of carbs. Probably everyone here is low car compared to SAD, but a lot of people who have problems seem to think low carb= ketosis levels of carbs.

I think Mark Sisson just needs to use more specific terms- I mean, low is interpreted to mean anything from zero carbs to 150-200 carbs that's a big range.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Jeez. I'm really surprised Mark said that. He said it as if eating a lot of carbs all the time is inherently bad, which is definitely misleading.
    It's not bad in the right context. But I think Mark believes it IS bad, even for lean high endurance athletes, so you know where "average" people fall in his curve.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast