Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulking with bodyweight training and Primal eating page 2

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    I have the weighted vest. So strictly progressive overload is what works, not building to harder variations of bodyweight exercises, like one-arm pushups and chinups?
    Yes, moving to harder variations is a method of progressive overload. What I meant with my post is that there are more limitations to bodyweight training than there are to weight training, where it's simple, just add weight to the bar/do more reps.

If a gym is out of your budget, you can absolutely make solid progress with bodyweight training. Just understand that your results will be limited compared to heavy barbell and dumbbell training.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I think you may need to up your calories as well.

Heck, I'm 5'3, 120lbs and *I* can eat 2K cals a day most
    days and see nary a weight gain difference.

I know you say you eat 3K on training days, but try bumping
    that up to 4K, I would think.

You may gain a bit of fat with extra cals, but then that's the fun
    of cutting when you're done

Julia

vincebae is offline Member
    There was a bodyweight and isometric exercises based bodybuilding routine in the early 20th century designed by Charles Atlas.

Bodybuilding.com - The Charles Atlas Workout Revisited!

Why don't you take a look at it?

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Yes, moving to harder variations is a method of progressive overload. What I meant with my post is that there are more limitations to bodyweight training than there are to weight training, where it's simple, just add weight to the bar/do more reps.

If a gym is out of your budget, you can absolutely make solid progress with bodyweight training. Just understand that your results will be limited compared to heavy barbell and dumbbell training.
    Ahhhh, okay. I misunderstood you. I have Overcoming Gravity and Never Gymless, so I have some really good source material on how to progress bodyweight exercises. It just seems like few people try adding mass this way. Probably because it's not as easy, but... it's possible and that's all I need.

Julia: going to 4K a day terrifies me. I'm bumping up to 2500/3500 and I'll see how that works. Maybe down the line I'll go to 2500/4000. My game plan is to fill the gaps with cheese right now. It's high calorie, fair amount of protein, and easier to find raw, grass-fed and/or organic than meat. Once I get back to Chicago I may reassess that.

So in short: this is possible, I just need to eat more and use progressive overloading?

I'll check that out when I'm on a real computer, Vince. Thanks!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    Ahhhh, okay. I misunderstood you. I have Overcoming Gravity and Never Gymless, so I have some really good source material on how to progress bodyweight exercises. It just seems like few people try adding mass this way. Probably because it's not as easy, but... it's possible and that's all I need.
    Excellent. I love Never Gymless, Ross Enamait's work is excellent.

Julia: going to 4K a day terrifies me. I'm bumping up to 2500/3500 and I'll see how that works. Maybe down the line I'll go to 2500/4000. My game plan is to fill the gaps with cheese right now. It's high calorie, fair amount of protein, and easier to find raw, grass-fed and/or organic than meat. Once I get back to Chicago I may reassess that.
    I would suggest slowly increasing calories to the point where you're gaining weight steadily. If you're not gaining weight or even losing weight, it's a sign that you need to up the calories. If you gain weight with 2,500 calories, stick to it. Making drastic jumps in calories is a great way to gain the wrong kind of weight.

Don't eat until it hurts, don't do GOMAD, just steadily increase calories until you're gaining weight steadily. No reason to take extreme measures.

So in short: this is possible, I just need to eat more and use progressive overloading?
    Yes.
    Last edited by jakejoh10; 07-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    You can sure build muscle on a high rep bodyweight program, but it is important to go close to real failure on a few sets, concentric & eccentric, and make progress on what you are doing! Pyramiding up to an ALL OUT set on an exercise with negatives after concentric failure is a method that works for muscle building. You must also be in a calorie surplus with enough protein, carbs and fat…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

totally hear you on being skeered to death about adding in more calories

i agree with jake, mind your calories, mind your weight, add a little at a time, see what
    happens and go from there

don't be too frightened though, i do believe that:

A.) dudes lose weight just thinking about losing weight

B.) you probably wouldn't gain weight on 4kcal daily

but that's just cuz you're a dude, and precisely the reason dudes and i are in a perpetual
    fight.... bwahahahaha!

anyway, good luck and KEEP US POSTED... OR ELSE

scared?

Julia

Terrified I'll get a thread started in the journals and link to it here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    my work here is done

>dust hands and evaporates into a cloud of smoke<

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast