Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed Skirt Steak Just Kicked My Ass page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Grass-fed Skirt Steak Just Kicked My Ass

Primal Fuel
    I was pleasantly surprised today to see my whole foods, which typically only stocks grassfed liver, had a range of grass fed meats at reasonable prices. I've never made skirt steak before, but I know it can be tough, so I planned on making some with some old veggies I had lying around. Even after cutting it thin against the grain, and letting it simmer in broth for 30+ mins after browning, it still is like eating rubber bands! Any thoughts on how I can avoid this in the future? It tastes fine, just a bit... hard to swallow

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Marinade -- 24 - 48 hours.
    Then surprisingly, cook it fast and medium rare is as far as you wanna go. Two minutes per side above hot coals or beneath a broiler.
    Then, for this cut, a 5 minute rest covered in foil is particularly useful.
    Now cut into strips.

I love this cut done in Italian dressing and the strips served with antipasto goodies.
    And I love it for fajitas over a sour cream dessed chopped salad and topped with guac.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You quick cook or grill skirt steak until medium at most. Long cooking/ over cooking just causes the muscle fibers to contract and become hard.

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Oh I wondered what this thread was about.

So how do we know which cuts will get tender with long cooking and which will just go tough?

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. In the future I'll marinade. This was all a bit last minute.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Skirt steak is AMAzing! Along with hanger and flank steak, it is one of my absolute favorite cuts. We never even marinate it, just salt and pepper, on the grill for about 4 minutes per side, and DONE! It turns out rare/medium rare (which is not a health issue if you're buying good, grass-finished beef), and when cut against the grain it is better than filet mignon
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    So how do we know which cuts will get tender with long cooking and which will just go tough?
    The muscles that get a lot of use, for example the brisket (chest of the cow) and shoulder and rump roasts, will be tough and need to be braised or otherwise slow cooked. Muscles that get less use, like the tenderloin and hanger steak are going to be very tender. It's like thinking of eating a bicep or quadricep versus a less used muscle on a person (kinda creepy, sorry).
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I put skirt steak in a slow cooker with chunks of onion and a few hot peppers over night. Simple and good.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    For most of the more tender cuts (skirt steak, tenderloin) I think you are either supposed to use really short (keep it below medium rare) or really long cooking times (3 hours+) to have tenderness. Also, cutting perpindicular to the grain is a must for cuts like skirt steak and london broil.

tulipwood is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    aaahh skirt steak - we enjoyed it for years in its obscurity - a great piece o' meat and very inexpensive...not anymore -the cut has become very popular and gone up in price. I am now doing amazing things with brisket and flank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast