Thread: Ibuprofen and fasting page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Ibuprofen and fasting

Shop Now
    Hi all,
    I have a friend who wants to do some intermittent fasting (8 hour eating window style), but due to arthritis someimes has to take ibuprofen. Ibuprofen needs to be taken with some food so as not to cause gastric ulcers etc. Any ideas what she can do?
    I was thinking that the best option would just be to arrange her eating window around when she needs to take the ibuprofen.
    has anyone else had this problem?
    Cheers,
    Lucy

photocat is offline Member
    My mother in-law suffered from arthritis (or joint pain --- she called it arthritis but I suspect it was really joint pain from autoimmune issues which she didn't get diagnosed until several years later). She took a LOT of ibuprofen and started each morning off by taking it on an empty stomach. A few years later, she was in the hospital from a bleeding ulcer from which she almost died. Now she is not allowed to take ibuprofen any longer and has very little choice among pain meds that will work on her that she can safely take (longer story).

So in short - don't ever take ibuprofen with any consistency on an empty stomach - ever. She should definitely arrange her eating schedule with her need to take ibuprofen.

sue

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    NSAIDS promote leaky gut issues.

Depends on why she is having arthritis symptoms... is it OA or an inflammatory sort such as RA?

Best to discover why she has arthritic symptoms and address the cause of that. Biomechanical misalignment and/or imbalances in the musculoskelatal system and/or foods promoting too much inflammation or poor reaction (nightshades?) could be contributing.

NSAIDS aren't a good solution.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    but until a solution is found, advil keeps you sane

work the fasting around the pills for sure
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, if your gonna use them be safe.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I never had an issue with taking them with a large glass of water.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely take them in the eating window. I have taken them many times on an empty stomach because the alternative pain was worse, but the temporary stomach pain that ensured was grueling. I can only imagine the actual damage it did.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

photocat is offline Member
    Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I never had an issue with taking them with a large glass of water.
    My MIL didn't either, for about 6 years (everyday for 6 years) And she wasn't fasting, she just took them in the morning when she got up about 90 mins before her breakfast ... then that is when they finally took their toll in the bleeding ulcer that almost caused her death (she was too slow in going to the hospital for treatment too when the signs of the ulcer appeared). Of course everyone is different but the known risks are too great, IMHO, to chance it. If choosing between the benefits of IF or taking ibuprofen with food, I'd choose the latter every time.