Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks position on Ketosis? Ketogenic vs Paleo. page 3

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by pcampo View Post
    I am new to low carb eating ( I actually have not started yet, waiting on my high carb foods in my cupboard to finish) but I began reading "The Art and Science of Low Carb living", by Jeff Volek PhD and Stephen Phinney M.D., a thorough guide promoting low carb eating (ketogenic diet) and analyzes studies done on high carb diets and low carb/ high fat diets. I have been thoroughly convinced by this book to go on a low carb diet. However, after browsing through Marks website as well Cavemandoctor.com, I am a little confused on Marks position of ketosis.
    There is no low carb science worth reading. It's misinformation and propaganda. Carbohydrate is in no way, shape or form more fattening than fat. If anything, it is less fattening since carbohydrate must be indirectly converted into fat to be stored whereas dietary fat is stored directly without conversion. Carbohydrate takes some work (and therefore has a thermic effect) where fat largely does not. The only exception for fat are MCT's.

Low carbohydrate lore is shrouded in confounding factors. Low carbohydrate diets in modern America tend to show initial weight loss for two main reasons:

1.) Low fat culture has existed for about 40 years. Over this 40 year period, the food industry has created an absolutely massive market for low fat processed foods. The low carbohydrate culture has only developed over the past decade and the processed food market for low carbers is a tiny fraction of what low fatters have access to. Going on a low carbohydrate diet indirectly removes your ability to consume processed foods whereas a low fat diet tends to increase the availability of processed foods.

2.) The preferred carbohydrate source for Americans is grain. Removing fats from your diet tends to greatly increase grain consumption following an SAD eating plan. Low carbohydrate diets automatically remove grains, beans and refined sugars from your diet. You will automatically increase your consumption of meats, eggs, cheese and vegetables. This means low carbohydrate American diets tend to be much more filling and nutritious than low fat diets. Of course, a diet of real food loaded with vitamins and minerals will yield a better body composition than a diet full of nutritionally bankrupt flours, sugars and thickeners.

That is the only reason low carb "seems" to work. You automatically remove grains, legumes, refined sugars and almost all processed foods. In our culture with the food industry being what it is, low carb dieting tends to be mostly paleo by pure accident. In reality, if a low fat diet was done in the context of real food - lean meats, potatoes, fruit and lower fat dairy products (cottage cheese, 1-2% plain Greek yogurt, reduced fat cheeses without any additives), you'd likely see the same - if not increased - fat burning over a comparable low carbohydrate diet of equal calories. The reason why is prolonged low carbohydrate dieting tends to reduce the metabolic rate by slowing the thyroid and increasing cortisol since cortisol is the primary hormone used to break amino acids down into glucose via gluconeogenesis. Fundamentally, low carbohydrate dieting over prolonged periods of time promotes increased stress hormones and the "plateau effect" versus a moderate or higher carbohydrate approach. Personally, for ideal health, I prefer to drop fat intake for more carbohydrate from fruits, roots and tubers, and with the fat I do get, I prefer to skew it highly saturated and low polyunsaturated - mostly from red meats, coconut, eggs, dairy and my goto treat is chocolate. I avoid liquid oils, nuts and seeds and limit fatty fish.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    ^ I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here. It comes down to personal preference, that's all there is to it. There's no metabolic advantage between low carb vs. high carb when calories and protein are kept the same. If you want to lose fat, but you love to eat carbs, you can do both. I'm not sure where everyone got the idea that you have to cut carbs to lose fat. It's complete nonsense.

I would say that those who are insulin resistant and overweight tend to do better with low carb because it helps keep their blood sugar stable, but this still comes down to what works best in the individual situation and personal preference.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Rinjani is offline Junior Member
    ChocoTaco369, that's such a wonderful post. I agree wholeheartedly and I don't think there's anything more to add.

Why it's almost impossible (for a healthy person with undamaged metabolism) to gain weight on a very high-carb, low-fat diet:
    The Truth About When “Carbs Turn to Fat”

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome post Choco

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Awesome post Choco
    Nah. It makes too much sense.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Awesome post Choco
    I agree!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    Here's an interview with Mark on this very topic.

The part from 6:20 is quite relevant.
    Good post! I hadn't seen this before.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Fundamentally, low carbohydrate dieting over prolonged periods of time promotes increased stress hormones and the "plateau effect" versus a moderate or higher carbohydrate approach.
    Hmm... this seems a bit like Broscience. I think plateaus are a part of all weight loss regardless of diet being followed. No weight loss is a straight line

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Hmm... this seems a bit like Broscience. I think plateaus are a part of all weight loss regardless of diet being followed. No weight loss is a straight line

Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    He might have been referring to the ability of dietary carbohydrates to regulate leptin levels, which will slow the "starvation response" effect that you get when on a calorie restricted diet.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

pcampo is offline Junior Member
    ChocoTaco, Have you read "The Art and Science of Low Carb living"? Mostly what you have posted seems conjecture and anecdotes, so its hard for me to just take your word for it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast