Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marks position on Ketosis? Ketogenic vs Paleo. page 2

pcampo is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    thank you for your response and advice J3nn. I am seeing more and more people advice not to go into ketosis for long term. I think I will start of at between 80 grams of carbs per day and after 2 weeks measure my ketones and see where im at. By the way, the main reason I want to go on a low carb diet is because I have cancer that runs heavily on one side of the family and heart disease that runs on the other side of the family. I understand that cancer cells are only fueled by glucose, IN YOUR OPINION DOES A LOW CARB DIET DECREASE/SHRINK/ELIMINATE CANCER CELLS EVEN IF YOUR NOT IN CONSTANT KETOSIS?

pcampo is offline Junior Member
    Thank you again CarbDodger. Your reason #2 for ketosis would be my reason why im interested in a low carb diet to begin with

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    if you actually have had or have a cancer,then ketosis is a good place to be. if you are worried about developing one cut out all grains, processed foods and junk with additives but enjoy low to moderate carbs, you don't need VLC; 80-150 is fine.
    also don't smoke!
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think it can be useful to do a stretch of ketosis then add carbs back in to find your personal optimal range. I don't think mark is against it. It is just really hard to stay in ketosis. Too much carb or protein and you are out. And unless you have diabetes, cancer, epilepsy or something it may not be necessary to be so strict with your diet to still gain the kind of health paleo/primal promises.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Here's an interview with Mark on this very topic.

The part from 6:20 is quite relevant.
    Last edited by Legbiter; 07-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    And another! Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 5): ‘Ketosis: Devil Or Angel?’ | Mark Sisson Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

I think of the Caveman Doctor as being quite in favour of ketosis as something to dip into to promote autophagy, as well as being appropriate for several kinds of cancer patients.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I find ketosis easy and effortless. 30-40 gm carbs and 60-70 gm protein for me.

No epilepsy or cancer here. I find it a good way to avoid bloating from carbs and keep my blood sugar stable. Much more focus, too.

Many of our Paleo ancestors were likely in ketosis a large part of the time. All the research I have read indicate that it is not stressful on the body if you eat plenty and balance your electrolytes. The Volek/Phinney book is a great resource!

Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...ow-carb-pt-ii/

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcampo View Post
    ALSO, if Mark is stating to try and avoid ketosis, ARE MARK AND THE CAVEMAN DR CONFUSED BETWEEN KETOSIS AND KETOACIDOSIS? From my understanding Ketosis is not dangerous because it only means that your ketone levels are 3-5mM while ketoacidosis is a medical emergency, usually only occurs in diabetics when you can no longer produce insulin, and ketone levels are extremely high at above 15mM.
    No, both Mark Sisson and Caveman Dr know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis.

Strangely it seems many doctors don't - maybe it's because the only time they hear "keto" is when it's a medical emergency for a diabetes patient - most are next to useless for any nutritional information which Nutritional Ketosis comes under.

For cancer it seems ketosis may have benefits from what I hear and read - though visiting a cancer ward recently the suggested diet documentation there stated that there was no special diet to help cancer patients. The oncologist I spoke to said the exact same thing. The meals served in that ward seemed to be the same food served in the rest of the hospital - low quality in my opinion. So if you're in hospital, try have someone bring you proper food. Eating one good meal a day is probably better than the junk they serve in there - their stuff will make you sick IMO.

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member
    I'm 362lb down from 410lb on ketosis. Easiest. Weightloss. Ever! ....for me anyways Have been keto since beginning of the year .

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    I'm 362lb down from 410lb on ketosis. Easiest. Weightloss. Ever! ....for me anyways Have been keto since beginning of the year .
    well done you, that's great. keto suits me too and the weight-loss can be phenomenal!
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast