Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metaformin side-effects page

phigment is offline Senior Member

Metaformin side-effects

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My doctor just perscribed Metaformin for me. my A1C was above 10. He also stated that my trigycerides were high but that this was probally due to the high bg. He perscribed a statin but I will refuse to take.

I have restarted to check my bg levels and the average is 230's. This is day two of taking the perscription and have very bad nasea and dirrehea. I know this can happen in the beginning of the treatment.

What I am wondering is how long this will these digestion symptoms will last. Also how long will it take to start seeing a decrease in bg.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    it takes most people a couple of weeks for the gut to settle down after starting metformin,the nausea usually passes off more quickly. If you can take the tablets after your first couple of mouthfuls its better than taking it before or after food (unless you are taking the sustained release version?). If you're tightening up on your diet and taking metformin you'll see a small drop in BG quite quickly. the better you control your diet the lower your BG will be. Metformin can only reduce your blood glucose between 1-2 points mmol/l max (about 18-36mg/dl max)
    trigs are often high when your diet is high in refined carbohydrates, alcohol can also adversly affect trigs, neither are good for your diabetes so reduce them
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Thanks CarbDodger. I don't drink except diet cola. The only refined carbs is mac n cheese, a dougnut, a sub. These are infrequent and not an everyday thing. Usually each about once per week. I can easily give up these items. The soda might be harder. The only frequent carb is candy (hershey with almond or reeses peanut butter cups). Harder to give up but is do able. Recently I added organic hwc with cocoa powder. It gives me my chocolate fix. Those are the only frequent "evil" carbs in my diet.

When I track my macro's and don't cheat the carbs are less than 20%. I would think my bs would have been lower on those days but it is still quite elevated.

Thanks for the response and any helpful hints or advice is appreciated.

20% doesn't really mean much, as its so variable- carb count is more meaningful. keep in mind excess protein in a diabetic gets a similar treatment in the body as a carb although the rise is slower its more sustained.
    cutting out wheat and grain based foods made a massive difference to me. its probably worth you trying it for a month and I bet like me you'll see a change. reduce the candy habit too if you can
    exercise will help in lowering it too
    what's your fasting BG?
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Regular metformin has more side effects of that type. Extended release metformin for me has no side effects of that nature. An A1c of 10 is quite high, an average blood sugar of 240. Metformin is gentler than oral hypoglycemic medications and insulin and is a common starting point. I have been diabetic for eight years and am a fifth generation diabetic. Once the metformin has adjusted they will probably prescribe an oral hypoglycemic, a drug that makes your body make more insulin. I find that for me, Metformin only has modest effects on my blood sugar. Exercise of any sort, even just going for a walk will be an excellent means of lowering blood sugar(and even cholesterol). For me the effects of exercise on my blood sugar last about a day and a half and is much more dramatic than meds. It sounds like you have the diet end of things under control. For me 75-100 grams of carbs is my sweet spot. It takes time to work your blood sugars down, and with blood sugars that high you need to work them down gradually or risk passing out. Exercise after meals so you have the blood sugar from your meals as fuel and have less risk of low blood sugar. Your blood sugar didn't get to this level overnight, it takes some time to get it back down. Fortunately it doesn't take nearly as long as losing weight. Your doctor is right about the cholesterol coming down when the sugars go down.

Fasting bg is in the range of the220-260. I work out with a trainer 1-2 a week. I just told him about my high bs and he decided to train with a different set of protocols. Befor it was a weight loss/maintaince now he decided to go gor a glycogen (might not be the right word) protocol.

Yes I have know that wheat might strongly disagree with me for some time. Doc did mention that the little amount of grain that I do eat probally is not allowing my bs to drop. I do plan on stopping all grain.

I am not sure if it is time relased or not. It is 1000mg x2 a day.

if it says SR on the pack its slow release- people adapt a bit quicker to SR. I walk for 15 minutes after each meal now rather than lounge about and thats helped too.
    you do need to get that fasting down-your Dr is right
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Then it is not sr. The funny thing is one night I had a fairly high carb for dinner (mac n cheese) my fbs was still high but lower than if I had no carbs. But I also believe that was the day I worked out with my trainer. So I guess not so unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    Then it is not sr. The funny thing is one night I had a fairly high carb for dinner (mac n cheese) my fbs was still high but lower than if I had no carbs. But I also believe that was the day I worked out with my trainer. So I guess not so unbelievable.
    you can burn off carbs, well the glycogen they produce, through exercise but the trouble is more carbs = more exercise and most of us don't or cant do enough. Theres a poster here gorbag who does eat quite high carb but he exercises vastly- but he isn't diabetic
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Was looking at my macro in carbs I average 20(normal)-80(cheat). Protein is 60 to a high of grain120. My doc said for me to at least get 80 if not higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast